Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Zero DS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17161-2010-zero-ds-review.html)

Administrator 12-03-2010 02:16 PM

2010 Zero DS Review

Original Article:
2010 Zero DS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Zero DS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Duken4evr 12-03-2010 02:27 PM

Development in electric vehicles is accelerating. Panasonic just put a big chunk of cash into Tesla and GM's new "Volt" car is truly sensational, running on pure electric power for about 35 miles, and having a efficient gas engine on board to recharge the batteries and give it unlimited range. While not it's best use, one could go cross country in it. Of course is perfect for grocery getting duty.

One of these bikes, mounted to the back of a camper and plugged into a PV cell, is about as close to perpetual motion campground runabout machine I can think of. Burn loads of fuel to and from in the diesel pusher camper, quietly go "Eco" once you get there. Perhaps these are a good way for lardy fuel sucking RVers to feel better about themselves. It is the ultimate "bumper bike" :)

mscuddy 12-03-2010 03:14 PM

Nice review, but 277 lbs? That's what my 1972 DT2 Yamaha Enduro weighed. And like we've thrown back-n-forth an EPA legal 60cc two stroke running a 1000 watt generator weighs around 25 lbs. And runs at 80% for five hours on a gallon of pre-mix.

They have to get the weight down. For nine grand that's obscene. You'd think without a motor and a gas tank, things should be around 220 lbs, but them dang batteries....hybrid hybrid hybrid....

Jeff Cobb 12-03-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 252783)
Nice review, but 277 lbs? That's what my 1972 DT2 Yamaha Enduro weighed. And like we've thrown back-n-forth an EPA legal 60cc two stroke running a 1000 watt generator weighs around 25 lbs. And runs at 80% for five hours on a gallon of pre-mix.

They have to get the weight down. For nine grand that's obscene. You'd think without a motor and a gas tank, things should be around 220 lbs, but them dang batteries....hybrid hybrid hybrid....

I asked him about that. He said he did not know much about the hybrid pros and cons, but would set me up with someone who knew way more about it. Maybe a future interview there ...

Also, this bike is most reasonable in Colorado. Could make sense for all those mountaineers -

"Zero S/DS final cost is $4107 after state and federal incentives."

"Zero S/DS are eligible for a Colorado Alternative Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit of $4,888."

Source: Zero

Duken4evr 12-03-2010 05:45 PM

"Zero S/DS are eligible for a Colorado Alternative Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit of $4,888."

An unexpected additional reason that Colorado rules - LOL

Strap a small generator onto a luggage rack and wire it in. Instant redneck 2 wheeled hybrid!

Jeff Cobb 12-03-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 252785)

An unexpected additional reason that Colorado rules - LOL

Strap a small generator onto a luggage rack and wire it in. Instant redneck 2 wheeled hybrid!

Yeah man. Right on. On the flip side demographically, you're spot on about dangling one of these gems off the back of a camper or motorcoach.

That is one of the uses this is ideal for.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-05-2010 09:35 AM

This version looks a lot further along than the one I rode in Daytona last March. The swingarm looks re-designed, as does the dash. I want to want an electric bike, but the Zero I rode was essentially an electric mountain bike. Not interested.

From the article:
Can you?” Hardin asked provocatively? “You should buy that bike. You should buy that bike then.”

He may have something there. I'm on the pre-order list for the Brammo Empulse, and I haven't heard a peep from them for months...since August, IIRC. It seems odd that their Marketing people aren't keeping the pre-order people on the hook with some emails etc.

Adrian Stewart 12-05-2010 06:47 PM

Brammo Marketing

Morbo, I am guilty as charged......you are correct, there hasn't been a marketing peep from Brammo to customers who pre-ordered an Empulse since August when the Empulse was launched.
However, that will change this week when the first Empulse Newsletter goes out to all those who have pre-ordered.

Sorry this has taken longer than expected. Any questions just email me direct anytime. empulse@brammo.com

All the best Adrian - marketing director Brammo Inc.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-06-2010 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Stewart (Post 252825)
Morbo, I am guilty as charged......you are correct, there hasn't been a marketing peep from Brammo to customers who pre-ordered an Empulse since August when the Empulse was launched.
However, that will change this week when the first Empulse Newsletter goes out to all those who have pre-ordered.

Sorry this has taken longer than expected. Any questions just email me direct anytime. empulse@brammo.com

All the best Adrian - marketing director Brammo Inc.

Your timing is good; I'm doing research now on my 2ond bike purchase in 2011. If the Empulse is going to be a real choice, it would be good to know the status. I'd almost written you guys off. Here's the Empulse's competition:

Ryca Motors - About the CS-1

Maybe you and Jeff Cobb can get together and do an update story. I'm sure Jeff is ready to ride a demo Empulse and tell all.

shalbleib 12-06-2010 07:12 AM

i love the idea of an electric bike. the whole twist-and-go with no real maintenance would make for a great commuter bike. one question though, what happens after the 1800 charges?? In theory if you rode it to work every day you're charges could be up in approx 5 years. then what?

and i'll always be a petrol-head. the sensation of a motorcycle will never be complete without a great exhaust note, a vibe in the seat of your pants and the smell of exhaust fumes. that will never change! but, i can save one of my environmentally-unfriendly rides for weekends and trips, and use an electric bike for commuting.

if only they could get the cost down or I lived in CO.