Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
LDH
Premium Member

Thumbs up Vulcan Voyager Owner

Just want to add that if you are 350 miles away from the nearest BMW dealer, your options are lessened quite a bit. I certainly considered the RT before I purchased the Vulcan Voyager but the local dealer that I have known for many years was the closer. Their service mgr. and I have taken trips together. He has an FJR. The motorcycle I got rid of was a 2007 ST1300 ABS that my wife could barley get on. No cruise, no stereo, etc. Great motor and a runner in the right hands.

I recognize the VV shortcomings and have addressed some of them. The power part is a non issue for me at this time. I set the cruise on about 75 to 80 and run. I believe any bike with this kind of weight will be a handful at slow speeds. Gotta learn the bike and know what to expect. I laugh and refer to the "new bike" (it's a 2010 VV with ABS) as a cruise control and 4 speaker stereo on 2 wheels. Love the tunes.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

keep the rubber side down
LDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
Matt7even
Registered Member

"What makes you think a lighter weight bike isn't as good for touring? My RT has a higher load rating than the Voyager and it's 300lbs lighter. I got rid of my 1600 Nomad because it was long in the tooth, unsophisticated and pokey. Not a bad bike, but a bear at low speeds and slug at higher ones. For what it's worth, the Voyager was dyno'd at 86 ft lbs of torque. The RT has been dyno'd stock at 81. A C14 more than the Voyager. My point is, the engine is unsophisticated and ho hum. I think they could have done better."

I certainly wouldn't object to a 300 lb lighter frame if it meant the Voyager could retain it's touring cruiser dimensions and characteristics. Unfortunately Kawasaki nor any other brand has figured out how to do that yet. Even Yamaha and Victory with their partially aluminum frames are still around the 800lb mark. I assume 1 reason is because a touring cruiser has to be big enough to facilitate two passengers in a relaxed riding position (not wedged against each other). and carry larger amounts of luggage as well as tow a small trailer if needed. I can't speak for the 1600 but as for the 1700 engine, I will admit it is certainly no Stratoliner or 2000. But it's more then enough power then I need for a touring cruiser, and personally if I was fixated on performance that much anyway I would have just gotten a sport tourer like you did.

Last edited by Matt7even : 11-28-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7even View Post
"What makes you think a lighter weight bike isn't as good for touring? My RT has a higher load rating than the Voyager and it's 300lbs lighter. I got rid of my 1600 Nomad because it was long in the tooth, unsophisticated and pokey. Not a bad bike, but a bear at low speeds and slug at higher ones. For what it's worth, the Voyager was dyno'd at 86 ft lbs of torque. The RT has been dyno'd stock at 81. A C14 more than the Voyager. My point is, the engine is unsophisticated and ho hum. I think they could have done better."

I certainly wouldn't object to a 300 lb lighter frame if it meant the Voyager could retain it's touring cruiser dimensions and characteristics. Unfortunately Kawasaki nor any other brand has figured out how to do that yet. Even Yamaha and Victory with their partially aluminum frames are still around the 800lb mark. I assume 1 reason is because a touring cruiser has to be big enough to facilitate two passengers in a relaxed riding position (not wedged against each other). and carry larger amounts of luggage as well as tow a small trailer if needed. I can't speak for the 1600 but as for the 1700 engine, I will admit it is certainly no Stratoliner or 2000. But it's more then enough power then I need for a touring cruiser, and personally if I was fixated on performance that much anyway I would have just gotten a sport tourer like you did.
Yep, the RT's light weight and high load capacity are reasons why we gave it our award for best touring bike in 2009 and 2010. It's a comfy and manageable touring bike without being a porker.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
macmanjim
Founding Member

While it's nice to have dealer support, it's not something that is at the top of my list. If it was, I would have gotten a HD. Necessity is the mother of invention.

As far as stereo goes, a pair of etymotic ear buds with an iPod sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Just want to add that if you are 350 miles away from the nearest BMW dealer, your options are lessened quite a bit. I certainly considered the RT before I purchased the Vulcan Voyager but the local dealer that I have known for many years was the closer. Their service mgr. and I have taken trips together. He has an FJR. The motorcycle I got rid of was a 2007 ST1300 ABS that my wife could barley get on. No cruise, no stereo, etc. Great motor and a runner in the right hands.

I recognize the VV shortcomings and have addressed some of them. The power part is a non issue for me at this time. I set the cruise on about 75 to 80 and run. I believe any bike with this kind of weight will be a handful at slow speeds. Gotta learn the bike and know what to expect. I laugh and refer to the "new bike" (it's a 2010 VV with ABS) as a cruise control and 4 speaker stereo on 2 wheels. Love the tunes.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
macmanjim
Founding Member

If you read the current issue of Motorcycle Escape, they do a touring comparo between a R1200GS, Gold Wing, C14 and Streetglide with the 103 engine. Guess which one won? I was surprised the GW didn't win as it was fully loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yep, the RT's light weight and high load capacity are reasons why we gave it our award for best touring bike in 2009 and 2010. It's a comfy and manageable touring bike without being a porker.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
macmanjim
Founding Member

Understand Larry that before the BMW, I owned nothing but Kawasakis and owned a Nomad before this. I just think the VV was Kaw's version of an affordable Ultra. I think they could have done better and I was expecting more for my next bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
Duken4evr
Founding Member

A bike of this class with the power found in the Star would be cool. I do like the cadence and sound of big twins, but power is good too. The Star poweplant delivers both. Pity the Star offering is a bit short on trim/features. They got the engine right though.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
Matt7even
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
A bike of this class with the power found in the Star would be cool. I do like the cadence and sound of big twins, but power is good too. The Star poweplant delivers both. Pity the Star offering is a bit short on trim/features. They got the engine right though.
I imagine Yamaha has got to be cooking up something to replace the now almost ancient current Venture. I wonder if they will go with a re-tuned V-Max mill again or the 109 V-Twin. Either one would be a nice.
Matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
ezyryda
Registered Member

Default 10' Vulcan Voyager 1700ABS Cowlings Misaligned ?

Cowling Misalignment Comparison.jpg

Cowling Misalignment Comparison 2.jpg

Bike Shopping 05.jpg

G'day Fellas,

My newly collected Voyager 1700 having a Misaligned Front Cowling. It's 6 days since out from my Dealership. They loosened all connecting bolts, nuts, bushings of the Cowling Frame and re-tightened them. Result = (- 1 degree improvement only)

However, Dealer said if I'm still unhappy he could arrange for replacement of Cowling Frame. I'll most likely go for it though. Meanwhile I'd like to have more information from anyone with same issue highlighting causes to the misalignment and what was done to rectify by Dealership or 'Kawasaki' Manufacturer etc..

Appreciate heaps if any 2010 Voyager Owner/Riders could share their experience before I decide my next coarse of action with Dealership and/or Manufacturer. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Original Article:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
ezyryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
Alvaro
Registered Member

Default Very disappointed with Kawasaki 1700

You know, for the most part I like this Vulcan a lot, is big, have some good technology, and it looks great, good warranty etc. I own a 2003 BMW R1200 CL with 50k mls. I'm going to sell it and was thinking of the Kawasaki 1700, that is until I saw that it only packs 66 Hp. "Whata-heck", 66? my CL have 61Hp. and for its weight is absolutely under power. For 1700 cc I was hoping for something closer to 100 Hp. I am crashed.
Al
Alvaro is offline   Reply With Quote