Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
You know, we have long complained that the Japanese manufacturers "dumb down" and "tune for torque" when they offer "standards". Ducati had the onions to bring us the Streetfighter in unadulterated form.

Two things occurred to me after reading this excellent article:

1) I don't miss my print mag subscriptions at all.
2) You know, a little "dumbing down" of this engine for Ninja 1000 type use might just be alright after all!

More importantly, perhaps we will see the awesome TC and ABS tech embodied in this bike trickle down to Ninja 1000, FZ1 type bikes. That, and a nice large diameter black anodized aluminum handlebar, would be cool. The handlebar by the way, that is what I go my FZ1 for Christmas

I agree about liter bikes on the street. The nice thing about them is, the big engine has stout midrange power that makes it fun to effortlessly zip along. Once in awhile, in the wide open spaces on rare occasions, you can run it out on the top end. That is the beauty of a liter class sporting bike. 600s are awesome, but it is a bit of a pain to access their performance on public roads, especially here in power sapping thin air land. At 10,000 feet, uphill, into a stiff wind, 1,000cc makes sense. It is awesome to be on a bike that just laughs at the elements, even when the needle is only in the middle of the tach face.

Jeff - that '98 R1 of yours is one of my favorites. My riding buddy had one of those. I was on a TL1000 at the time and took a long ride on his new R1. It fried my brain how good that thing was back then
Glad to read you don't miss your magazine subscriptions. I'm sure Pete and Kevin (who've been writing for MO way longer than I have) will be especially gratified to read that.

That new Ninja actually has 44cc more, and its peak torque exceeds that of the 2010 ZX-10R, I believe.

Agreed, it could use some customizations. In time maybe more trickle down will follow.

The fact that track-oriented bikes had become so focused was the topic at the street-oriented Ninja 1000's press launch. Now they just need to continue the theme further.

FYI, my old bike was set up by Ivan at Rockland County (NY) Motorcycles (he developed one of the first and best jet kits for the Gen 1 R1s and an airbox mod). He dyno'd it a couple years ago @ mid 148s, and torque was like 79.xx. and this was with a redline of only 11,750.

I hear you on the altitude issue. With any luck and planning, I'll saddle up, and ride to the Rockies and see for myself.

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 11-25-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
FYI, my old bike was set up by Ivan at Rockland County (NY) Motorcycles (he developed one of the first and best jet kits for the Gen 1 R1s and an airbox mod). He dyno'd it a couple years ago @ mid 148s, and torque was like 79.xx. and this was with a redline of only 11,750.
Ivan is still doing his thing. He has an excellent map for the FZ1 and developed a full exhaust system with Yosh for it using longer header pipes to spead the torque out a bit. With the airbox snorkle removed, a PCIII in place with a good map, and the full exhaust, FZ1's like mine are making 148 to 152 hp (stock is around 130) at 11,500 rpm and more importantly, gaining around 15 hp through the midrange. Probably about the same power curve as your '98 R1. Some things never change!

180hp from the ZX10 with only external bolt ons (full exhaust, ECU) is amazing indeed.

Look me up if you do come visit the Rockies. I might know a good road or two!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Ivan is still doing his thing. He has an excellent map for the FZ1 and developed a full exhaust system with Yosh for it using longer header pipes to spead the torque out a bit. With the airbox snorkle removed, a PCIII in place with a good map, and the full exhaust, FZ1's like mine are making 148 to 152 hp (stock is around 130) at 11,500 rpm and more importantly, gaining around 15 hp through the midrange. Probably about the same power curve as your '98 R1. Some things never change!

180hp from the ZX10 with only external bolt ons (full exhaust, ECU) is amazing indeed.

Look me up if you do come visit the Rockies. I might know a good road or two!
Yeah, I knew you had a strong FZ1. Cool.

That new ZX-10 revs to the stratosphere. That's where the extra power can be developed. Ivan has a bike like mine with cams and porting, Ohlins suspension, and I don't know what else which makes just shy of 170, I think.

It must now rev higher too.

Is it too risky weather-wise to ride to Colorado in the winter? One snow storm could set me back for days, perhaps? If so, it would have to wait till Spring. I have all the gear, but not studded tires, nor the inclination to use them.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Duken4evr
Founding Member

June or later is best. It takes time for the sand from the winter to wash off the roads and it is cold at elevation for awhile. I start venturing up there in May, pretty much.

If you do come, make sure to take route 125 from Granby to Walden. It is the single best piece of asphalt I have ever been on. Fast sweepers that are fun midrange rpm type going on a liter class bike, but not wide open until the end where you can stretch out that ZX10 in relative safety through the Arapaho Wilderness. 125 has incredible scenery and little traffic as there is not much reason for anyone to be on it. True sportbike paradise. Good dirt biking areas off that road too.

From there you can head west toward Steamboat on Route 14. More jaw dropping scenery, open spaces, high rpm fast running. Head on back down 40 over Rabbit Ears pass (brrr, heated grips good there) toward the Winter Park Highlands again and toward civilization, go toward the ski resorts on 9 instead by Green Mountain Res - so many choices.

Then there is down south, out west by Gunnison. It just goes on and on. Explains the type of bike I ride. 400 mile days are not uncommon. It rocks so hard, I just want to keep riding forever. Then there is the off roading. Color me lucky

Last edited by Duken4evr : 11-25-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
June or later is best. It takes time for the sand from the winter to wash off the roads and it is cold at elevation for awhile. I start venturing up there in May, pretty much.

If you do come, make sure to take route 125 from Granby to Walden. It is the single best piece of asphalt I have ever been on. Fast sweepers that are fun midrange rpm type going on a liter class bike, but not wide open until the end where you can stretch out that ZX10 in relative safety through the Arapaho Wilderness. 125 has incredible scenery and little traffic as there is not much reason for anyone to be on it. True sportbike paradise. Good dirt biking areas off that road too.

From there you can head west toward Steamboat on Route 14. More jaw dropping scenery, open spaces, high rpm fast running. Head on back down 40 over Rabbit Ears pass (brrr, heated grips good there) toward the Winter Park Highlands again and toward civilization, go toward the ski resorts on 9 instead by Green Mountain Res - so many choices.

Then there is down south, out west by Gunnison. It just goes on and on. Explains the type of bike I ride. 400 mile days are not uncommon. It rocks so hard, I just want to keep riding forever. Then there is the off roading. Color me lucky
"125 has incredible scenery and little traffic as there is not much reason for anyone to be on it."

Yes, that does sound like a good condition leading up to sportbike paradise.

I copied this all down. It will be on my list of places to see. I've seen some of Colorado (incl. Steamboat, where my road bicycle was made) by car, but motorcycle is undoubtedly preferred.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I think these bikes should be built, sold, and purchased. It's in our nature to want to move up the food chain, and having a totally off-the-hook bike like this one, on the street, is just an expression of that desire.

Bikes like this represent an ability for average guys like me to own a vehicle that will outperform any rich-guy's $250,000 exotic. Even if I never buy one, or even if I own one and never hit 9/10ths of it's ability, the fact that it's out there is life-affirming.

Now, here's my question: how does anybody insure one of these? I was running some bikes through the Progressive website, bikes like an S1000R or the like cost ungodly premiums for the basic insurance you need to finance one. Bike payment: $300/month. Insurance payment: $280/mo. And I've got a clean record!

I guess I need to save up and buy one outright.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I guess I need to save up and buy one outright.
......and not dump it
Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Or buy a lightly used liter class sport bike for a lot less, still be able to lay waste to exotic sports cars at will, of course not carry full coverage and make a sincere effort not to wad it up. With sport bike premiums being what they are, you break even after a couple of crash free years and get to enjoy a "free" motorcycle.

That has been my approach for the last 30 years of sport bike ownership. Never carried full coverage, never crashed. The FZ1 is the first street bike I have ever purchased brand spanking new. It was paid for in cash, I only carry only liability and UM coverage. Probably could get fairly reasonable full coverage but the 4 year old bike is simply not worth that much anyway and old habits die hard.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 11-28-2010 at 08:17 AM.