Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
pegasis010
Registered Member

Default Winter Tires

I know, I know. I'm not looking to drive on snow, ice or any other crazy thing. But, I live in an area where legislation was put through in the last year or two stating to be on the road, all vehicles must have "winter" tires between Dec. 15th and Feb. 15th. The thing is, there's always half a dozen or more days that are warm, dry weather and I'd love to go for a ride or use the bike around town.
So, does anyone know if it's possible to get "winter" labelled tires for a Honda Shadow 750?
pegasis010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
YamaCat
Founding Member

Default foul weather tires

I started out this summer with my FZ1 running a pair of pirelli diablo's then switched over to Bridgestone's dual compound battle axe tires in september. Now I am on to the Dunlop d616's for what's left of fall and winter.

The d616's feel a bit vague compared to the other two but they are great at normal speeds. They have only been on for November but it has been pretty cold out and so far, I have notice that these tires do not have to "come up to temperature" to work well. They also work well in the damp.

I have gone out riding several times this month and found myself on roads that were paved but had gravel all over them or had mud from the fields smeared all over them because of the harvest. And even though I never got rained on, the roads already had been.

They kind of remind me of when I used to run Dunlop d220 radials back about 6 years ago. That was a tire with big, deep tread on the back, and two vertical tread lines on the front tire, indicating that it might be a good rain tire.

The d616 have a more uniform tread pattern but it is deep. Also, I got 7000 to 9000 miles out of the d220 radials before I hit the wear bars. I think the d616's are rated for something like 3000 to 4000 so, these newer tires might be a bit grippier.

Since I ride more slowly in the cold, I doubt that I will notice any difference in the "razor sharp" handling department. Right now, I am still dialing in the psi up front and the rear shock still isn't quite there yet but it's close.

As far as "winter" tires go, unless you are racing on the ice, I don't think that there really is such a DOT category for that.

Last edited by YamaCat : 11-21-2010 at 09:24 PM.
YamaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
pegasis010
Registered Member

That was the impression I had always been under. But someone recently mentioned on my local radio station that they had picked up winter tires. I probably misunderstood something.
Thanks for the info.
pegasis010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
YamaCat
Founding Member

Default brrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasis010 View Post
That was the impression I had always been under. But someone recently mentioned on my local radio station that they had picked up winter tires. I probably misunderstood something.
Thanks for the info.
Here you go:

Dieseljo.com Motorcycle Ice Riding

I just couldn't resist.

Oh, wait! Here's another one.

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dhcxpz35_19cqdbqgc3

Last edited by YamaCat : 11-21-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Buy some Metzler Tourance tires. That's about as close as you can get.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
YamaCat
Founding Member

They look great for enduro bikes. Too bad the specs don't match up for my FZ1.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaCat View Post
They look great for enduro bikes. Too bad the specs don't match up for my FZ1.
Pirelli makes tires for the Buell Uly that will fit that FZ1
Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
YamaCat
Founding Member

Default ... let's keep the shinny side up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Pirelli makes tires for the Buell Uly that will fit that FZ1
For crappy crappy weather, I am hoping these dunlops will fit the bill until spring. The gen 1 FZ1 is not exactly known for being smooth but I learned to compensate for it. So I will give the d616's a bit of trial this fall and winter.

Once the temps fall below 60 degrees I seldom get above 80. My natural foul weather equilibrium (my internal happy place) typically falls somewhere between 60 and 70. With a quater-fairing, the gear has to soak up quite a bit of head wind. So I just back it off to stay warm.

I think the d616 is supposed to be high performance, but I just want it for the deep tread and the wet weather grippiness. When there is actually ice on the road, riding becomes too much like trials-bike competitions, so that's when I just park it.

... But bridges do freeze before the roadways this time of year ...

Last edited by YamaCat : 11-22-2010 at 04:15 PM.