Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
thepremier
Registered Member

Default New Biker - need advise on BMW, Yamaha etc.

Hello Guys,

I am from Vancouver, BC and new to the biking world. I will take my training course in March 2011 and I am interested to receive some advice from pros. I am looking to buy a new bike within the next 3 months. For now, I am at BMW F800R.

Please let me know more info about the completion of this bike (Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc.).

Thank you very much for your help.

Ken B.
thepremier is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Decent choice BUT why do you want to start with a new bike? Buy used. Buy something that won't make you cry when you drop it to the ground. Spend $3k. Ride for a year and get some miles.
I've been riding for 27yrs. Ridden everything practically. Typically, I spend under $5k for bikes ride them 2 or 3 years and off them. In your case, $3k is a decent SV650, Ninja 500, FZ6, BMW R bike from the 80s or a KLR.
Just think about all the money you'll save on payment and insurance.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
YamaCat
Founding Member

Default Nice choice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepremier View Post
Hello Guys,

I am from Vancouver, BC and new to the biking world. I will take my training course in March 2011 and I am interested to receive some advice from pros. I am looking to buy a new bike within the next 3 months. For now, I am at BMW F800R.

Please let me know more info about the completion of this bike (Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc.).

Thank you very much for your help.

Ken B.

My first street bike was a dirt bike with a head light.

Your F800 makes a good first street bike for all the same reasons. It'll be reliable and predictable to begin with. Great for riding around town. Big enough to commute to work on and, since it's a BMW it probably has heated grips.

As far as the competition goes, a Yamaha FZ8 will cost just as much if not more, but will have more horse power. An Aprilla Shiver cost less than either of the aforementioned bikes and, it's a V-twin, so it's definitely a lot of fun to ride.

I've currently got an FZ1. I am keeping this bike cause it fits. No matter what else I have, I will be keeping the FZ1 because of that, and because it has a lot of character. However, my first "real" street bike was a used '78 Kawasaki 650z which cost me $1200 back in '84 (cause that's how much my car was worth).

If you don't have a dealer near by for any of the above mentioned bikes I would not go a long way out of my way to get them. Not unless you find a bike that fits better than all the rest. Especially when it comes to shifting and braking and the seat height and the reach to handle bars, etc.

If the F800 fits better, go for it.

Last edited by YamaCat : 11-19-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: A.A.D.D.
YamaCat is offline   Reply With Quote