Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Ducati Diavel Review (Almost)

Original Article:
2011 Ducati Diavel Review (Almost)

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Ducati Diavel Review (Almost) in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Alright. IMHO, the bike looks the business. However, it's the ergos that worry me. The photo of the guy in the suit on the bike looks out of proportion... wonky, almost. Anybody else get that?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Alright. IMHO, the bike looks the business. However, it's the ergos that worry me. The photo of the guy in the suit on the bike looks out of proportion... wonky, almost. Anybody else get that?
Wonky may be in the eye of the beholder. It feels pretty much like a standard when sitting on it. Besides, anyone in a suit looks stupid on a bike!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Beautiful

I also thought BMW's Cruiser beautiful but they did not sell well enough and only lasted a few years.I hope Ducati has better luck.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
I also thought BMW's Cruiser beautiful but they did not sell well enough and only lasted a few years.I hope Ducati has better luck.
It should have much more success than the Beemer. I mean, it's not really that much of a cruiser. It's more like the original Vmax, but it weighs less and has more power. Was the Vmax a cruiser...?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
YamaCat
Founding Member

Default What! No carbon fiber?

Mr. McGuire
: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?

Remember the hue and cry that went up back when Ducati changed the look of the 916 to that of the 998?

...my how times have changed.

Maybe Ducati should give the folks at Moto Guzzi a call next time they try to build a cruiser.

...or me.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Overload
Founding Member

Why isn't anyone pushing the bar as much as Ducati? Last year with the Multistrada, and this year with the Diavel. The only other innovative bike I can think of in the last few years is the DN-01 from Honda. Everything else is evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Or am I forgetting something?
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Looks like he's sitting on a Road King to me. Pretty comfy looking.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Looks like he's sitting on a Road King to me. Pretty comfy looking.
Okay, it is just me. The only way to find out is to go sit on it myself. I like the idea and concept. I have always liked the VMax, too. Unfortunately, I could never fit my lanky legs on the old VMax without serious discomfort on my tail bone.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overload View Post
Why isn't anyone pushing the bar as much as Ducati? Last year with the Multistrada, and this year with the Diavel. The only other innovative bike I can think of in the last few years is the DN-01 from Honda. Everything else is evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Or am I forgetting something?
First off, let's give some props to BMW for recognizably pushing the envelope. Other Euro brands, too.

But to your point, it seems as if the Japanese have become much more conservative since their economy tanked in 1990. The whole culture has gone more conservative. Also, when I was there a year ago, I was surprised to learn that their domestic motorcycle market has imploded as the median age has gotten older. A Honda rep told me that school kids are taught that motorcycles are very dangerous, and few of them take up motorcycling. The famous Ueno district, notable for its motorcycle shops, is just a shadow of its former bustling self.

So, I believe that without a big domestic market to serve, Japanese companies has somewhat lost the pulse of the worldwide motorcycle market. Combined with a more conservative business climate, they are unwilling to take calculated risks with innovative new product. Right now, they are mostly crawling in a hole to weather the economic storm, which actually may be a smart business decision, if not for motorcycle enthusiasts.

Meanwhile, brands like Ducati, Triumph, BMW, the Piaggio Group, and even Victory are gaining market share by introducing a steady stream of new product. Their profits might not be big, but they are stealing sales from Japanese brands.

Hope this info provides some perspective.