Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Husaberg FX450 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17052-2011-husaberg-fx450-review.html)

Administrator 11-18-2010 11:45 AM

2011 Husaberg FX450 Review

Original Article:
2011 Husaberg FX450 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Husaberg FX450 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 11-18-2010 05:22 PM

I see why nobody wanted to give a close-up shot of the motor, it looks like a cross between a pressure cooker and a Bissle vacuum cleaner.

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm just too old to appreciate stuff made out of plastic and what appears to be zinc (!?).

Oh and you know what to do with your new four stroke MX bike after it explodes and is gathering dust in the corner of the garage, as you wait to win the lottery so you can afford a rebuild?

You stick a 1978 TM250 motor in it, and go have fun again (since now the bike only weighs 208 lbs).

See the project on superhunky.com in a few days, from start to finish.

Duken4evr 11-20-2010 02:36 PM

KTM300XC. Still the coolest dirt bike on the planet. You don't have to worry much about mass centralization when there are hardly any moving parts to begin with.

Was really feelin' it last time I was out on the trail modded '01 CR250. Of course the ground was perfectly damp. Not muddy, just damp. Note the sublime nature of the dirt. Dry on top, damp underneath. Any dirt bike rider will recognize that from this photo. Mmm. Perfect 2 stroke dirt.

The CR weighs maybe 220 all fueled up and the dirt was perfect. Life was very good to me that day :)

The new Husaberg is a cool bike though.

YamaCat 11-20-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 252273)
I see why nobody wanted to give a close-up shot of the motor, it looks like a cross between a pressure cooker and a Bissle vacuum cleaner.

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm just too old to appreciate stuff made out of plastic and what appears to be zinc (!?).

Oh and you know what to do with your new four stroke MX bike after it explodes and is gathering dust in the corner of the garage, as you wait to win the lottery so you can afford a rebuild?

You stick a 1978 TM250 motor in it, and go have fun again (since now the bike only weighs 208 lbs).

See the project on superhunky.com in a few days, from start to finish.

There's a reason why it looks the way it does. It's a water pump.

...and don't forget about the mass centralization.

Also, if we are going to hop into Mr. Whoopies way back machine and set our dials all the way back to 1978, I seem to recall the need to overhaul an air cooled 2-stroke after every 45 minute moto back in the day when Bad Brad Lackey and Bob "Hurricane" Hanna were going head to head at places like Carlsbad, NM.

I guess that's why everybody brought two bikes. 1 for each moto.

God only knows how much fun a 30 year old two stroke can be but seriously (or deliriously), these two bikes aren't even in the same class, let a lone being from the same century. 8-)

I'll give yuh this much though, back about 10 years ago, when Yamaha got everyone racing 450 four-strokes, nobody thought there would be any valve related DNF's, but there were. Everybody but Yamaha had valve related DNF's sooner or later. So 4-strokes aren't perfect.

I personally would rather have a 2008 YZ250 with reed-valve induction than a 450 four-stroke, but no one should ever be forced to own just one dirt bike anyway. 8-)

YamaCat 11-20-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 252325)
KTM300XC. Still the coolest dirt bike on the planet. You don't have to worry much about mass centralization when there are hardly any moving parts to begin with.

Was really feelin' it last time I was out on the trail modded '01 CR250. Of course the ground was perfectly damp. Not muddy, just damp. Note the sublime nature of the dirt. Dry on top, damp underneath. Any dirt bike rider will recognize that from this photo. Mmm. Perfect 2 stroke dirt.

The CR weighs maybe 220 all fueled up and the dirt was perfect. Life was very good to me that day :)

The new Husaberg is a cool bike though.

You're probably right, of course. The KTM300XC looks wicked. But it's not really designed for the same thing as the Husaberg FX450.

The great thing about Husaberg is that they seem to feel pretty much the way the rest of us do about one bike or another. For them, it's KTM. It's probably a love/hate relationship, but sometimes people encounter the "best bike they never loved" because for some reason they just couldn't live with the steering geometry or, the throttle response was snatchy down low but perfect everywhere else, or whatever. And the fix for the problem was neither obvious nor inexpensive. Most people would trade the bike for something (regretfully) better.

With some bikes we just want them to be great, but as riders we don't always seem to get along with them for some reason, and now Husaberg comes along and does what we cannot or will not. They de-crap-a-fie what needs to be de-crap-a-fied in a very thoughtful way and, ultimately give the rider a better point from which to start.

I would still want the KTM paint scheme though. :cool:

...just my two cents.

Duken4evr 03-26-2011 09:19 PM

Prologue. I bought one of these - a 2010 FE450 actually. Found a killer deal ($5,450 OTD) on a demo bike with 6.8 hours on it.

These new Husabergs are not perfect out of the box, but as the article says, a little setup goes a long way. These are the coolest dirt bikes on the planet. :D

Dr_Sprocket 03-27-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 257545)
Epilogue. I bought one of these - a 2010 FE450 actually. Found a killer deal ($5,450 OTD) on a demo bike with 6.8 hours on it.

These new Husabergs are not perfect out of the box, but as the article says, a little setup goes a long way. These are the coolest dirt bikes on the planet. :D

There, fixed it for ya!

Duken4evr 03-28-2011 07:12 PM

Thank you. That is what I get, trying to sound intelligent!