Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
acecycleins
Founding Member

Sorry for te typo Duke- That little netbook keyboard my kid plays with is not fat finger friendly.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #22
Matt7even
Registered Member

Agreed, If somebody were to take the Yamaha mill and put it into the Victory chassis I would be willing to pay the Harley price! =)
Matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #23
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Sorry for te typo Duke- That little netbook keyboard my kid plays with is not fat finger friendly.
Uh huh...

You can press the Edit button y'know!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7even View Post
Agreed, If somebody were to take the Yamaha mill and put it into the Victory chassis I would be willing to pay the Harley price! =)

Mostly agreed, but we gotta give the SG props for its superior low-speed handling. It's weird how Yam and Vic fell short of such an obvious benchmark.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #25
acecycleins
Founding Member

You know- sometimes my edit button doesn't show up. Why is that?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #26
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Uh huh...

You can press the Edit button y'know!
Actually the "Edit" function hasn't worked since the site went bonkers a month ago. I click it and it returns an error, on any of several PCs and browsers I use.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #27
acecycleins
Founding Member

The Destroyer just backed up a mere earthling. Cool.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:

Mostly agreed, but we gotta give the SG props for its superior low-speed handling. It's weird how Yam and Vic fell short of such an obvious benchmark.
When you consider how much shorter the wheelbase is and how much steeper the rake is, the Harley had damned well better make tighter u-turns and handle better at low speeds. The Yamaha and the Vic didn't fall short, the Harley is just a more compact bike all the way around.

The Victory has the lowest seat in the test and, if I'm not mistaken, the most rear suspension travel too. When Yamaha was criticized for copying Harley's pushrod engine they claimed they did it to keep the seat height low. Funny how the tallest engine, the lowest seat, and the most rear suspension travel in this comparison are all found on the same bike.

How much chassis stiffness do you think the Harley gives up with that rubber mounted engine? I love to watch my friend's 2010 Street Glide bouncing the front tire off the ground at idle, and that bike is smooth at cruising speeds, but the chassis is easily upset (not as easily as the pre-2009s) and bumpy corners will induce wobbling and an unsettling feeling.

As far as getting the Victory to the performance level of the Star, that's easy. Have a look at this. Costs about $1800 installed.
http://www.lloydz.com/graphs/2010-XC...s-VM1-Cams.jpg
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile

Last edited by Larry : 11-19-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Actually the "Edit" function hasn't worked since the site went bonkers a month ago. I click it and it returns an error, on any of several PCs and browsers I use.
Jeezuz, it's always something...

Edit...

Works for me...

Stew

Last edited by Administrator : 11-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #30
Matt7even
Registered Member

Quote:

I hear what you are saying Kevin. I have a 1700 Nomad witch has a similar if not more compact frame geometry then the SG and feels just as nimble in the parking lot as my old 600 lb cruiser did. That being said personally I would still trade it for the smoother/sportier riding Victory most any day even if it didn't have the Yamaha crank. I look forward to seeing the same comparo next year with the Vaquero in the mix. I think it would fall short of the Vic's ride and the Yam's power but it's compact handling and standard touring features for the lowest MSRP would certainly put it in the running for best value I think.

P.S. On a side not am I the only one that gets annoyed with manufacturers when they put lots of accessories or extra features on loaner bikes that are use for comparisons? Personally if I were editor I would tell them if it doesn't come stock it doesn't get reviewed. But that's probably why my rants are in the comments section and not the article =).
Matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote