Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Gimme a Vic with that Star engine and I'd be a happy man. Frankenbike indeed.

For me, it is all about the engine, so the Star is the most attractive. I am willing to put up with the other shortcomings to have that motor. The Star pulls at the heart, the Vic pulls on my rational side.

Bah. Who am I kidding. The brain rules and the Vic is most likely to find itself in my garage someday.
My 0.02: This shootout turned out to be very interesting, with each bike offering its own distinctive merits and demerits. If I were to take the best from each, I’d combine the Stratoliner’s burly powertrain and swoopy styling with the Street Glide’s ergos and maneuverability. Then I’d incorporate the Cross Country’s comprehensive instruments, capacious saddlebags and versatile suspension to create my ideal bagger.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
TonyC
Founding Member

Two inches of rear suspension travel!?!?!?! I know Harley buyers love low seat heights, but come on! No one wants the compressed spine feeling after a day's (or several) ride.
I guess all their engineers were focused on finally buying brakes that worked. How many years ago was it that BMW introduced ABS? (198
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
King Vitamin
Registered Member

I agree the Vic wins. It doesn't look completely derivative like the Star, and it's not a total limp noodle like the HD.

I think Harley should change their name to the Harley Davidson Styling and Marketing Company.
King Vitamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
My 0.02: This shootout turned out to be very interesting, with each bike offering its own distinctive merits and demerits. If I were to take the best from each, I’d combine the Stratoliner’s burly powertrain and swoopy styling with the Street Glide’s ergos and maneuverability. Then I’d incorporate the Cross Country’s comprehensive instruments, capacious saddlebags and versatile suspension to create my ideal bagger.
And if we can get Erik to build it with a Rotax motor we will be singing in the streets of Costa Rica smoking Cuban cigars.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
davejohnson
Registered Member

Default Bagger Cruiser Shoot Out - Misses on SomeThings

I like reading comparisons, but some important things were missing or maybe even intentionally omitted. First of all forget horsepower on baggers…the real number to compare is torque. Empirical numbers (especially horsepower) are not nearly as important as the practical use of torque….roll-ons, quarter mile, engine character, etc.
It sounds like the new H-D frame and rubber-mounted engine is the most comfortable for handling, slow speed maneuvers and long term rides. I was sold on these things vs HP or TQ.
Regarding the comments about MP3 being the new standard, check Apples Stock….the iPod is the new standard and the H-Ds deck with auxiliary input allows the use of the CDs for us old guys and both MP3 players and iPods. Seems to me, the most practical multi use stereo option is H-Ds deck. And as for the “adds weight” comment, there needs to be an amp to drive speakers whether there was a CD player or not. So the point is moot.
As for the fit of riders 5’8” or taller or shorter…..it seems the wealth of seat design options for an H-D make it the most customizable for fit and functionality for ANY rider. Besides, I’d rather have a seat designed for long term comfort than worry about the feel of the wider seat at a stand still (I too am under 6 feet). Also, with regards to the SG, the bike was designed to be a sporty tourer….a bike that has the benefit of looking cool. If you want or need passenger comfort….see “wealth of seat design options”. Besides, (and I quote from the article re the rigid mounted engines “buzz from the Strat makes its way to the rider…..but not to the extent the Cross Country tingles”), I would rather not experience the hand and foot numbing experiences of dated, rigid mounted engines of days past vs a small investment in a seat that suits me and my passenger.
Lastly, and regarding cost….have you ever tried to sell a used Victory or Star on the “previously owned” market?? I haven’t, but my friends have and they had to give-them-away. I would rather pay a small premium to be able to ride a brand that can actually give some kind of re-sale value. And that’s my final point…..I’d buy a Harley-Davidson because it will provide a great riding experience (based on your articles comments) and great value.
davejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejohnson View Post
I like reading comparisons, but some important things were missing or maybe even intentionally omitted. First of all forget horsepower on baggers…the real number to compare is torque. Empirical numbers (especially horsepower) are not nearly as important as the practical use of torque….roll-ons, quarter mile, engine character, etc.
Torque indeed rules the cruiser roost, so you should be able to admit the SG comes up way short. It barely tops 80, and only briefly, while the Star is well above 100 over the vast majority of its powerband. The TC103 is a sweet motor, aided by relatively low gearing, but it is easily the least powerful, whether in terms of hp or tq.

Quote:
Regarding the comments about MP3 being the new standard, check Apples Stock….the iPod is the new standard and the H-Ds deck with auxiliary input allows the use of the CDs for us old guys and both MP3 players and iPods. Seems to me, the most practical multi use stereo option is H-Ds deck. And as for the “adds weight” comment, there needs to be an amp to drive speakers whether there was a CD player or not. So the point is moot.
Not quite moot, IMO. Just so we're on the same page, an iPod plays MP3 files. So, yes, MP3 is the new standard. And, indeed, a CD player adds weight, and their big vibe-reducing size consumes luggage room.

Quote:
As for the fit of riders 5’8” or taller or shorter…..it seems the wealth of seat design options for an H-D make it the most customizable for fit and functionality for ANY rider. Besides, I’d rather have a seat designed for long term comfort than worry about the feel of the wider seat at a stand still (I too am under 6 feet). Also, with regards to the SG, the bike was designed to be a sporty tourer….a bike that has the benefit of looking cool. If you want or need passenger comfort….see “wealth of seat design options”.
Yes, if you're looking for custom seats, the Harley has huge aftermarket support unmatched by any other brand. Or you could just be happy with the seats of the Vic or Star.

Quote:
Besides, (and I quote from the article re the rigid mounted engines “buzz from the Strat makes its way to the rider…..but not to the extent the Cross Country tingles”), I would rather not experience the hand and foot numbing experiences of dated, rigid mounted engines of days past vs a small investment in a seat that suits me and my passenger.
Yeah, not many would want one of those counterbalanced V-Twins. Well, except the ones in the millions of H-D Softails around the world... those are great!

Quote:
Lastly, and regarding cost….have you ever tried to sell a used Victory or Star on the “previously owned” market?? I haven’t, but my friends have and they had to give-them-away. I would rather pay a small premium to be able to ride a brand that can actually give some kind of re-sale value. And that’s my final point…..I’d buy a Harley-Davidson because it will provide a great riding experience (based on your articles comments) and great value.
Well, check out KBB and you'll find late-model Vics and high-end Stars hold their value quite well. Still not as good as Harleys, but not exactly giveaways.

Anyway, I hope I wasn't too confrontational with my reply. It's just that we put a lot of work into our words, so I can get a little defensive. Hope you at least got a few things good out of this one! Your Harley is surely a great bike, but don't be afraid to take its rivals out for a test ride.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

Dike- where are my confrontational words??? I'm crushed.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Dike- where are my confrontational words??? I'm crushed.
Wait. What?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #19
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Nice first post, DaveJohnson. Clear, coherent, logical, structured.

Do you like to watch Gladiator movies?
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #20
pplassm
Founding Member

Wow. Dave's a one-hit wonder.