Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Yamaha Super Tenere Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16967-2012-yamaha-super-tenere-review.html)

Administrator 11-04-2010 01:33 PM

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere Review
 

Original Article:
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 11-04-2010 02:37 PM

So, does one buy a new Super 10 or a used GS?

Morbo the Destroyer 11-04-2010 02:58 PM

A very good review of a very "hot" bike.

2 thoughts:
You can probably disable the ABS by pulling it's fuse.

Why the parallel twin, when a 90 degree vee is so much better? 2 balance shafts and special timing to make it sound and feel like a vee? The vee may be longer, but it's thinner, which I'd think matters most if you're standing on the pegs.

I want one.

Buzglyd 11-04-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 251683)
A very good review of a very "hot" bike.

2 thoughts:
You can probably disable the ABS by pulling it's fuse.

Why the parallel twin, when a 90 degree vee is so much better? 2 balance shafts and special timing to make it sound and feel like a vee? The vee may be longer, but it's thinner, which I'd think matters most if you're standing on the pegs.

I want one.

A 90 degree V would have that front exhaust pipe really close to the ground.

The_AirHawk 11-04-2010 03:50 PM

That's a Big Damn Bike, Danger!

Good writeup, very informative. Will somebody please buy me one of these for my 40th? Perhaps all the MO-Fos here can pool their pennies in a praypal donation to help defray the cost of my new Soupa'-T......

SpeedwayRN 11-04-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 251682)
So, does one buy a new Super 10 or a used GS?

The Yami will most likely be more reliable than the BMW and if nothing else cheaper to maintain

12er 11-04-2010 06:02 PM

I'd go with a used GS. No radiator and used will be all kitted out already. For some reason this thing isnt doing it for me. I keep seeing that side mounted radiator with a root sticking out of it. Add in the fork dive, linked brakes, always on ABS and the always biggie with Yamaha, CASH UP FRONT.

mscuddy 11-04-2010 06:15 PM

Remember when they use to modify 650 twin Yamahas for dirt track by making them a 270 degree motor? One fires right after the other, like a big single. Betcha didn't know that, did ya?

And Cobb, I tried to send you an IM about the E ATK's but your profile is non-existant in the electronic mess that is MO. What happened?

Kevin_Duke 11-04-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 251683)
A very good review of a very "hot" bike.

2 thoughts:
You can probably disable the ABS by pulling it's fuse.

Why the parallel twin, when a 90 degree vee is so much better? 2 balance shafts and special timing to make it sound and feel like a vee? The vee may be longer, but it's thinner, which I'd think matters most if you're standing on the pegs.

I want one.

A V-Twin is also costlier to build (2 cylinder heads, cams, etc), and with one cylinder so far rearward, it's difficult to get the necessary weight on the front wheel with a long-travel front suspension. Build a narrow-angle Vee and you'll again need balancers. And the Tenere has a history with inline-Twins, and it isn't too wide between your feet.

Jeff Cobb 11-04-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 251695)
Remember when they use to modify 650 twin Yamahas for dirt track by making them a 270 degree motor? One fires right after the other, like a big single. Betcha didn't know that, did ya?

And Cobb, I tried to send you an IM about the E ATK's but your profile is non-existant in the electronic mess that is MO. What happened?

Yes I did know about Twingles.

I don't know about the PM issue though. Didn't it work last time? Maybe they threw an electronic MOnkey wrench in somewhere? :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 PM.