Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #41
czsummy
Registered Member

would there be a good place to maybe start a thread on this, the seller, is a top seller on ebay, and says hes sold many of these for 500's thats what he has it listed as fitting, and assures me that they have been put on these bikes since thet came out, and its an upgrade from the 130. i just want to ask some one with a 500 ninja to get their input
czsummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Check out the following: Suspension,Tires & Chassis
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #43
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsummy View Post
would there be a good place to maybe start a thread on this, the seller, is a top seller on ebay, and says hes sold many of these for 500's thats what he has it listed as fitting, and assures me that they have been put on these bikes since thet came out, and its an upgrade from the 130. i just want to ask some one with a 500 ninja to get their input
Here's a forum thread about tires at ex-500.com: Kawasaki Ninja EX500 Tire Size Chart ●●● Submit Your Review! ●●●

Lots of differing opinions, so read carefully. Trusting a seller on eBay seems like a dubious plan. Looks like fitting a 140/70 isn't a problem, but a 150 can have clearance issues. Like I said, putting a fatter tire on a narrow rim significantly changes how it sits on the rim, and that definitely has an effect on the tire's characteristics, turn-in response and the tire's overall diameter.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #44
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsummy View Post
i just want to ask some one with a 500 ninja to get their input
Go with the input of the engineers who designed your bike. They spent serious time and effort figuring out the best size tires for it, and matching all the components like suspension, swingarm, etc. to make it all work together.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #45
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Go with the input of the engineers who designed your bike. They spent serious time and effort figuring out the best size tires for it, and matching all the components like suspension, swingarm, etc. to make it all work together.
Uh, No - they didn't. The entire bike is a parts-bin bike, from inception in the '80s to present-day, essentially unchanged (except for a disc rear brake added for the '94MY).

The frame has a hinge in the middle of it, the transmission has been plagued by problems Kawasaki was aware of before the '90s, the crankshaft was (literally!) never "designed" for the stresses of a twin - they just essentially cut-off two cylinders from the inline-four the engine is derived-from. It is under-damped, under-sprung, and under-braked.

In essence, it is a miracle it works as a moto at all; the success of the EX500 owes far more to chance and happy circumstance than "Engineering".

Still, I am glad Kawasaki continues to make them.

Put the 140 on it. It will change the handling a little, but you'll get used to it quickly, unless you are the world's worst rider.

Avoid the 150 unless you absolutely need the availability of race-tires in that size (you don't, not on the street).

But then, if you're racing one, you're probably going to put an older ZX-6 swingarm and front-suspension (and wheels) on the bike anyway.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #46
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

[quote=The_AirHawk;263855]Uh, No - they didn't. QUOTE]

Umm...Yes they did.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #47
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

[quote=Morbo the Destroyer;263864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Uh, No - they didn't. QUOTE]

Umm...Yes they did.
You ever ride one?

No, they didn't. What, you think you some kind of "Jedi", waving you hands around like that?

Seriously Ken, ride one around for a year or so - you'll come to the same conclusion. There's a reason it's a "price point" Motorcycle.

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-29-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #48
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

[quote=The_AirHawk;263871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post

No, they didn't. What, you think you some kind of "Jedi", waving you hands around like that?
"These are not the tires you are looking for."

Setting aside Kawi's engineering for a moment, what possible good comes from from deviating from ANY bike manufacturer's tire recommendation aside from maybe making the bike look better? This bike isn't going to pull 1.2 g's on the track. He might as well have the quicker handling of the narrower tire.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

[quote=Morbo the Destroyer;263874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post

"These are not the tires you are looking for."

Setting aside Kawi's engineering for a moment, what possible good comes from from deviating from ANY bike manufacturer's tire recommendation aside from maybe making the bike look better? This bike isn't going to pull 1.2 g's on the track. He might as well have the quicker handling of the narrower tire.
A 140 Shinko on the rear (coupled with a mating 110 front) made it feel MUCH more "secure" in corners than the stock craptastic tires it came with.

It seems counter-intuitive, but it actually helped the bike to not push like a pig vs. the "stock" 130. I think it was the slightly-taller profile - and the tire was a bit more "rounded" in cross-section vs. the flatter, cruiser-ish 130 'Stone that came on it.

That it looks better - just a bonus.

I'm glad Kawasaki is still producing the EX500 - but I REALLY wish they would pull a few more suspension parts out of the bin (from say a late-'90s ZX-600 or something) and freshen-up the styling a bit. Without EFI to knock-down emissions, the EX's days ARE numbered, though.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #50
czsummy
Registered Member

shinkos is what i plan to get i can get the 130and 110 for 125 or so, first i'll do the 130 then a 140, since i haven't been riding the bike i will stick with stock first most likely.
czsummy is offline   Reply With Quote