Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #31
Wabbit1961
Registered Member

I'm 6'2", 175#, 36" inseam, never measured my reach. I might be 185 in full gear. I'm a tall, thin guy. This bike is sprung tight from either the factory or the way the guy set it up. I tend to thnk the former, not the later.

Remember, I come from 5 years of riding my VFR 800, which is to me a front heavy bike. This thing is light compared to my VFR, at least it feels like a 650 to me. But I think on paper the VFR and this weigh about the same. I find that perplexing, but I ddismiss a lot of it thinking this Ninja has a higher center of gravity, and being thinner than my old VFR.

On the video he addresses that 'floppy' front feel. I agree. I find it harder to just track a straight line in normal riding. This bike wants to lean over. Either direction, it wants to lean over. Riding in a straight line using just the right hand and you are constantly correcting the bike.

If anything, I'll probably soften the preload and suspension a bit. Right now I feel every crack and ripple in the road.

Not to say I still don't love this bike. The motor is just exceptional! I surprised myself coming home from work. I took off behind cars at a left turn and I cut the bike in a bit low and rolled the throttle on a bit in second gear. Coming out of the corner the bike pulled the front end off the ground like I was backroad racing! I hardly gave it maybe 1/3 throttle. This bike pulls hard from even below 2krpm!

The riding position I still compare to when I rode a BMW R1200R. for me, it's almost too sit-up-and-beg. That's why I pondered putting clip-ons on this bike to shift my weight a bit more forward. Even with the lower grips I think it would better emmulate the riding position of my VFR, which was all day comfortable to me as it was. A little lean forward isn't a bad thing.

Maybe I'm just too used to having mastered a heavier, sloppier bike in the VFR all these years, but that bike did what I wanted, when I wanted, and never surprised me.

When I said it felt squirrely I mean that the back tended to bounce around a bit on me, and the front being lighter than I am used to takes a bit of re-figuring on my part. That's why I think it's just sprung too tight for my riding preferences. It's set for track, not city/highway. When I do tuck into the tank the dynamics change noticeably. The front takes on some more weight. The bike has a better, more planted, feel to it. But I tend to do my city riding sitting back in the seat. With more weight toward the back wheel in that position the front feels very light.

Duke. I love your input on this as the bike's still new to me and I am still trying to get used to its characteristics (5 days riding to date). If I was a noob I would be scared of this bike. It's a lot of power in a small package. Definitely a more spirited (hyper) bike than the FZ-1 I knew. Btw, I have been riding for 30 years. Started on an RD400 back in the day.

Stan

Last edited by Wabbit1961 : 07-27-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Wabbit1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #32
czsummy
Registered Member

its kinda disappointing to hear that its steering is sub par, compared to the others, but i hope these do sell and they can make minor adjustments to make it perfect, i saw one of these with the bags on the other day and i will say it is a head turner, i would love to own one of these in a few years, when all the flaws are worked out.

but job well done on this ninja.
czsummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #33
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit1961 View Post
I'm 6'2", 175#, 36" inseam, never measured my reach. I might be 185 in full gear. I'm a tall, thin guy. This bike is sprung tight from either the factory or the way the guy set it up. I tend to thnk the former, not the later.

When I said it felt squirrely I mean that the back tended to bounce around a bit on me, and the front being lighter than I am used to takes a bit of re-figuring on my part. That's why I think it's just sprung too tight for my riding preferences. It's set for track, not city/highway. When I do tuck into the tank the dynamics change noticeably. The front takes on some more weight. The bike has a better, more planted, feel to it. But I tend to do my city riding sitting back in the seat. With more weight toward the back wheel in that position the front feels very light.

Duke. I love your input on this as the bike's still new to me and I am still trying to get used to its characteristics (5 days riding to date). If I was a noob I would be scared of this bike. It's a lot of power in a small package. Definitely a more spirited (hyper) bike than the FZ-1 I knew. Btw, I have been riding for 30 years. Started on an RD400 back in the day.

Stan
At your weight and size, you will be able to set up the suspension to suit. Keep in mind that every suspension setup begins by setting the amount of preload, about 1.2 inches of sag. Adjusting a suspension without first setting the proper sag is the WRONG way to do it. Then you can begin adjusting the damping adjusters. If the ride is still too stiff, then dial back the compression-damping circuits a few clicks at a time. But, please, set your preload first!

BTW, an RD400 was the second streetbike I ever rode. Still a vivid memory...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #34
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Lightbulb Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
At your weight and size, you will be able to set up the suspension to suit. Keep in mind that every suspension setup begins by setting the amount of preload, about 1.2 inches of sag. Adjusting a suspension without first setting the proper sag is the WRONG way to do it. Then you can begin adjusting the damping adjusters. If the ride is still too stiff, then dial back the compression-damping circuits a few clicks at a time. But, please, set your preload first!

Duke, has MO done a full article on how to adjust a bike's suspension lately? If not, that might be worthwhile. It could be a two or three part article. Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #35
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Duke, has MO done a full article on how to adjust a bike's suspension lately? If not, that might be worthwhile. It could be a two or three part article. Just a thought.
Yeah, I thought the same thing as I wrote the above response. It's critical to a rider's enjoyment, so I'll definitely follow up on it when we get more time.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #36
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:

My first was the RC350, AKA the R-5E. Yamaha sold a LOT of those 2-stroke twins!

czsummy - These are going to sell well, they just need time for the word to get out. The FZ-8s sat in dealerships for months before they took off. Now I hear they're selling like hotcakes.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Yeah, I thought the same thing as I wrote the above response. It's critical to a rider's enjoyment, so I'll definitely follow up on it when we get more time.
Great! If you do the article, please make it so dummies like me can understand it.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #38
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Great! If you do the article, please make it so dummies like me can understand it.
Okay, I'll avoid words with three or more syllables.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #39
czsummy
Registered Member

they better sell, i'm getting an 2005 ninja 500r for my first bike, and want to enjoy this 1000 maybe 5 years down the road.

i am eager for this suspension tuning article. =]

and since you guy were talking about tires, what do you recommend for a 500 it will need tires when i get it so i found some and it was suggested to me to put a 150 on the back rather than the standard 130 kawi put on
czsummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #40
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsummy View Post
they better sell, i'm getting an 2005 ninja 500r for my first bike, and want to enjoy this 1000 maybe 5 years down the road.

i am eager for this suspension tuning article. =]

and since you guy were talking about tires, what do you recommend for a 500 it will need tires when i get it so i found some and it was suggested to me to put a 150 on the back rather than the standard 130 kawi put on
I have no experience with that tire swap, so I can't really recommend anything. But I can say that fitting a 150 tire on a rim width designed to accommodate a 130 will significantly alter its shape, likely negatively. When you decide on a tire, make sure you check out the company's website to see which size tire fits on your rim width. If someone recommends a fatter tire, it may just be for cosmetic reasons, i.e. "fatter is better." A wider tire will also slow your bike's steering characteristics, so make sure to do your research.

Last edited by Kevin_Duke : 07-28-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote