Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Ducati 848 EVO Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16917-2011-ducati-848-evo-review.html)

Administrator 10-26-2010 08:28 AM

2011 Ducati 848 EVO Review

Original Article:
2011 Ducati 848 EVO Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Ducati 848 EVO Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 10-26-2010 05:28 PM

Boss! The Valves!

What I want to know about is the valves. Are they just regular run of the mill old steel valves you could mistake for something out of a flathead Ford, or are they SUPER DUPER EXOTIC VALVES that require adjustment every fifty feet or so...

And are the Chinese going to make a clone Ducati after they take over the Earth? And will it leak oil? Let's hope not...

And what about the gas mileage? Nothing about that eh? So I guess the Duck isn't green, which will make Mr. Cobb and I very angry.

Feh.

sliphorn 10-26-2010 06:22 PM

Feh? I didn't know you spoke Yiddish!

Jeff Cobb 10-26-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 251408)
What I want to know about is the valves. Are they just regular run of the mill old steel valves you could mistake for something out of a flathead Ford, or are they SUPER DUPER EXOTIC VALVES that require adjustment every fifty feet or so...

And are the Chinese going to make a clone Ducati after they take over the Earth? And will it leak oil? Let's hope not...

And what about the gas mileage? Nothing about that eh? So I guess the Duck isn't green, which will make Mr. Cobb and I very angry.

Feh.

While it's true I have an interest in alt energy, and would like the world to be a better place, I cannot claim to be a full convert to the True Religion of Greenness. If I claimed to be, someone might also call me a new age hypocrite. My daily ride is a '98 R1 with intake and exhaust mods to let it waste more precious fossil fuels. It has enough hp and torque (148+ hp at last dyno reading) to power 10 Chinese scooters. Sad to say, I report the stuff, but remain an unrepentant, self-indulgent, Yankee imperialist speed junkie.

Otherwise, brilliant questions. :)

(And the Ducati does look pretty neat, doesn't it?)

Kevin_Duke 10-27-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 251408)

Feh.

Yep, the valves from your '49 Merc should fit in the Duc. Valve adjustments aren't every 50 feet, silly, just after every lap.

Fuel mileage around Imola wasn't very impressive.

jmdonald 10-27-2010 12:41 PM

[quote=Jeff Cobb;251419] I report the stuff, but remain an unrepentant, self-indulgent, Yankee imperialist speed junkie.

Good.It is important that you are in touch with your inner child and don't try to hide your self interest(as opposed to selfishness).There is a big difference.

I cannot help being attracted to this bike.When I was 25 there was nothing like this. The bikes in the 70's and 80's weren't even close.

We live in a marvelous age.

I'd save the money and go for the dark version.

The_AirHawk 10-27-2010 01:19 PM

There will come a day when Motorcycle Technology and Capability reaches a point that, Jesus will Return Leathers-on and Helmet in-hand, and THEN where the hell are we gonna be? Huh?

Stuff-passed by the Son of the Almighty, you bet.........

Jeff Cobb 10-27-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 251436)
Good. It is important that you are in touch with your inner child and don't try to hide your self interest (as opposed to selfishness). There is a big difference.

We live in a marvelous age.

I was being tongue in cheek lightly prodding those who take environmentalism and the push for alternatives into the realm of the quasi-religious, saying I was not quite a white sheep. But since you managed to shift the emphasis – and that's fine – I'll say I'm in touch with my inner Speed Racer.

And to agree with you on another note, quoting the lovely Carly Simon, when it comes to motorcycles, "These are the good old days."

;-)