Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 Review

Original Article:
2011 Kawasaki KLR650 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Four hundred and thirty one pounds? My City-X weighed around 400 soaking wet, and it had a Sportster motor in it!

When it falls over in a mud hole and pins you to the ground, does it have an optional bone-saw in the tool box so you can cut your leg off like a badger stuck in a trap?

Jeez, I'm sorry about complaining about weight, but anything over 320 lbs. for a four stroke dual sport is ludicrous.

Try hitting a road berm at speed on the big Kawacker and call me when you wake up (in the ER room).
Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

I got an offer for the ZRX for $2800 yesterday. I was thinking that I might buy my brother in law's '10 klr off of him. Always wanted one.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Hey, imple bikes are good. Nothin' wrong with imple. Why, ome people think that I'M a impleton (o I've been told) ometimes.

And if imple work, why should one complexificate omething like that? Not myelf.....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecyclein
I got an offer for the ZRX for $2800 yeterday. I wa thinking that I might buy my brother in law' '10 klr off of him. Alway wanted one.
It' on my Bucket Lit of "Motorcycle to Own omeday".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

Ive been looking for another one for some time now. Just havent found the right combo of good shape and cheap. Killed me to sell it but at the time didnt have room for two bikes.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
lwatcdr
Founding Member

The KLR is in a very interesting segment.
It isn't as good of a dirt bike as some of the other duel sports like the DZ400 and it isn't as good of a road bike as the BMW GS1200 Triumph Tiger, or Ducati Multistrada.
Or you could look at it the positive way.
It is a better dirt bike than the GS1200, Tiger, and Multistrada and it is better Street bike than the DZ and the like.
And it is cheaper than all of of them and is super cheap to run.
If you are going to ride to Alaska from Florida you will want a KLR, BMW GS, Tiger, or maybe a Multistrada. It will handle the highway, gravel roads, double track, an some single track if you don't get too nuts.
And it will not cost you anywhere near what a BMW, Ducati, or most of the other Adventurer turing bikes will.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
rwagnerfoto
Registered Member

Default Klr650

My Y2K KLR650 just rolled over 91,000 miles. Replaced a bearing on the clutch shaft and the timing chain at 70,000 and the rear shock at 87,000. Everything else is original. It the most fun bike to ride of any in my garage.
rwagnerfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagnerfoto View Post
My Y2K KLR650 just rolled over 91,000 miles. Replaced a bearing on the clutch shaft and the timing chain at 70,000 and the rear shock at 87,000. Everything else is original. It the most fun bike to ride of any in my garage.
Love to hear it!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Gimme a Husky TE610. Very dirt worthy, at least on the level of my modded up DRZ400, and relaxed on the street. The 610 is a reliable engine as well and the Husky just plain looks cool. Of course the Husky costs more than a KLR or a DRZ. Such is life.

Always had a soft spot for the DR650 as well. Probably comes from a misspent youth which featured XL600 ownership. The DRZ400 has better suspension than the DR. Hmm. I wonder if it bolt on and swap over. That ancient XL wore XR500 parts.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote