Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Winter Preparation: Two Viable Choices For Riders

Original Article:
Winter Preparation: Two Viable Choices For Riders

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Winter Preparation: Two Viable Choices For Riders in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Get on it and ride! Winter won't stop me from riding (but getting my forks rebuilt surely will).
Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Ward
Registered Member

Cool Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Winter Preparation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Original Article:
Winter Preparation: Two Viable Choices For Riders

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Winter Preparation: Two Viable Choices For Riders in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
I grew up in Minnesota riding street bikes All year long. First in 1971 on my Honda CB350 and then moving to the Gold Wing in 1978. On all my bikes I put studs into the tires. Farm and Home dealers used to sell them cheap and it took about an hour per tire. In 1982 my friend and I rode our Gold Wings from Rochester, MN to Orlando, FL during a blizzard in February, O Hare was closed in Chicago. Snow was coming down for 3 days until we made it through Indiana. We had the old apple warmers and Vetter Hippo Hands on our bikes with studded tires. It was great to see the look on peoples faces as we passed them stranded in the ditch after going off the road. We had the most memorable trip of a lifetime going to Disney World that year. The next year I joined the Navy and spent 26 years in tropical climates. I only visit Minnessota now in the summer, but winter riding is a blast if you're prepared!
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
ejis
Founding Member

That does sound like a blast. I would love to get some studded knobbies and ride in the worst of it, but the drivers around here (DC) scare the hell out of me in the snow. And for those few days a year - or weeks, last year - snow tires and my S2000 do just fine. You probably get nearly as many crazy looks with the top down and skis perched on the passenger seat.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Jeff- there's only one real choice. The other is for pansies.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Jeff- there's only one real choice. The other is for pansies.

Now how can I give a politically correct answer to a statement like that?

Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I grew up in Minnesota riding street bikes All year long. First in 1971 on my Honda CB350 and then moving to the Gold Wing in 1978. On all my bikes I put studs into the tires. Farm and Home dealers used to sell them cheap and it took about an hour per tire. In 1982 my friend and I rode our Gold Wings from Rochester, MN to Orlando, FL during a blizzard in February, O Hare was closed in Chicago. Snow was coming down for 3 days until we made it through Indiana. We had the old apple warmers and Vetter Hippo Hands on our bikes with studded tires. It was great to see the look on peoples faces as we passed them stranded in the ditch after going off the road. We had the most memorable trip of a lifetime going to Disney World that year. The next year I joined the Navy and spent 26 years in tropical climates. I only visit Minnessota now in the summer, but winter riding is a blast if you're prepared!
Thanks for telling us about this time in your life, Ward. I've ridden studded tires on mountain bikes in snow and ice, but haven't on the motorcycle. Will have to one day when I can. Sounds like a great experience!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

reminds me of the vmax on ice Youtube video

but there is no choice, the show must go on
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
reminds me of the vmax on ice Youtube video

but there is no choice, the show must go on
Here you go ...

Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

While we don't get a lot of snow here (Vancouver B.C.), winter is still pretty damn cold and very WET! However I still enjoy my daily commute, having accumulated a pretty good winter gear solution.

One thing that has always stymied me is trying to fit anything under my helmet... it's a very snug Shoei RF1100 (ie. it fits properly). I have a nice silk & fleece balaclava which as soon as I pull my helmet on gets twisted and contorted and there's no room to jam it back in place. I have resorted to a fleece neck tube, which is much better than nothing. Still trying to find that "perfect" solution.

I have to say, I'd go bonkers if I had a perfectly good bike sitting in storage all winter! Even if you don't commute every day, there are still plenty of opportunities to get out for a ride. I'm talking to you, cool open pipe Harley guys... where do you all go after Halloween? For pedicures?
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote