Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

"90-watt liners as well as 65-watt solutions for smaller bikes and scooters with marginal electrical system output. But as is true for any auxiliary electrical accessories, you’ll need to know your system’s charging output and the draw of the intended accessory to make a good decision"

A lot of guys find out how much a replacement stator costs (hundreds) when they plug in that heated suit and burn their bike's charging system out. Few bikes have more than 50 amps available for accessories; add lights, electronics, etc., and there is almost nothing left for clothing.

Adding "Available Accessory Wattage," or something like that, to reviews would be valuable information.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
"90-watt liners as well as 65-watt solutions for smaller bikes and scooters with marginal electrical system output. But as is true for any auxiliary electrical accessories, you’ll need to know your system’s charging output and the draw of the intended accessory to make a good decision"

A lot of guys find out how much a replacement stator costs (hundreds) when they plug in that heated suit and burn their bike's charging system out. Few bikes have more than 50 amps available for accessories; add lights, electronics, etc., and there is almost nothing left for clothing.

Adding "Available Accessory Wattage," or something like that, to reviews would be valuable information.
The quote you cited gave the hints, and word to the wise that you requested:

" ... for smaller bikes and scooters with marginal electrical system output. But as is true for any auxiliary electrical accessories, you’ll need to know your system’s charging output and the draw of the intended accessory to make a good decision"

I believe this caution is adequate: I warned it wasn't cut and dry, and said that some bikes have marginal output. I said to check draw of the accessory you want to install which implies a finite energy budget. Deducting existing draw from the energy budget is tantamount to your requested phrase: "available accessory wattage."
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm afraid I'm in a bind with that too. Heated seat & aftermarket lightbar. Would like to add a power supply for GPS & consider a heated vest or gloves, but don't want to end up with nonworking accesories and a parked bike.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

There was a DL1000 rider at the FL C2C ride who said he shuts down everything but his SPOT GPS locater about 1/2 hour before he arrives at his destination. That's just to be sure his battery gets recharged sufficiently before shutdown. The DL1K has about 70 amps extra after the bike takes its share.

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 10-31-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #15
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I'm afraid I'm in a bind with that too. Heated seat & aftermarket lightbar. Would like to add a power supply for GPS & consider a heated vest or gloves, but don't want to end up with nonworking accessories and a parked bike.
You'll need to know how much usable juice you have with all stock electrical draw On (high beams etc). It may be possible to modify your bike – or have it done at a shop where they can test actual current draw.

I just sent my stator to Custom Rewind in Alabama.

Electrosport may have an off-the-shelf replacement with maybe 15-25% more output. It depends from bike to bike.

My 1998 R1 has negligible room inside the flywheel for a more robust coil winding, so I am experimenting on my own.

On that note, I also just bought a new OE MOSFET regulator rectifier to experiment with. After 2007, Yamaha started using these, as did other manufacturers in recent years. So I'll retrofit it and see how it works. Eastern Beaver sells the proper connectors to make up your own heavy duty harnesses.

Whether or not this will work, I don't know. It may. Some have told me the MOSFET RRs don't hold up as well as a stock shunt type, so we'll see.

The point is well taken that stock bikes have low output oftentimes.

There's lots of talk on the forums about it, with diverging advice.

I've mentioned in this forum at least once or twice the need for more output. I've also told at least a few manufacturers' representatives this would help a lot to keep people on bikes longer in the season. Gas is expensive, bikes are cheaper than cars. But weather in many parts of the country stops the season, and relegates the bike to a toy ...

The point of the article is to raise awareness, not get people to burn up their bikes. I hope that's understood. The season could be extended for lots of people in lots of regions with a little effort and careful planning. My opinion is that if you're limited on juice, then pick and choose the best compromises, if this is a possibility for you.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You forgot the third option.

Move to someplace warm.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post