Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
bbtowns
Founding Member

Just can't believe how heavy and expensive this is. $30K for a nearly 800 lb. sport tourer with bags!? Does make the Concours, available at around $10K a model year old, a hell of a deal. Would love a moderately priced sport tourer from BMW, don't need most of the high end electronics they seem to find a reason to install.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
Would love a moderately priced sport tourer from BMW, don't need most of the high end electronics they seem to find a reason to install.
F800ST: 450 lbs, $10,900. And a surprise winner when compared with the VFR800.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedard View Post
OK so they're working on something else now, but, I'm ready to replace my BMW now. With a Sport Touring bike. Their GT's originally equaled Sport Touring my style, I'm still pissed. I doubt if you can split-lanes (it's legal in California) with the K1600. Being able to do that is a must.
I've split lanes on a Geezer Glide and my current K1300GT.

No problema.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #24
mikedard
Founding Member

Exclamation That's my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Hang on there, Mike! BMW has a wide range of S-Ts still available. The K1300GT will be replaced by the K1600GT, but the K1300S will continue. So, the BMW S-T category can be filled with the K13-S, F800ST, R-series Boxers and K1600GT. Does any other OEM offer such a full range of sport-tourers?
Why are they dropping the 1200-1300cc multi cyl. line? I don't mean to brush off the boxers and R 1200 RT's, but for the sport touring=GT they're weak. They have their place, but trans america fast touring, autobahn type touring, fast sweeping mountain pass highways, great basin mountains, Continental Divide. Hard to beat the K-bikes idea of sport touring=GT.

I did see the K1600GTL yesterday in San Francisco it was a off chance sighting, but it looked BIG, I would think twice splitting lanes with it, it was taller than a goldwing not as long. It looked it should have a big pole sticking up vertical in the rear with a blue flashing light in some motorcade going down the road in Europe.

The video of the K1600GT making turns on the mountain roads looks like if they leaned it over anymore it would drag.

I have saved to buy this spring, but I'll buy now and save a lot of money not buying a K1600. Honda, Yamaha, they've built nice 6 cyl. engines. The way they styled the K1600 looks to me like BMW got a little bit full of themselves over this 6 and it's gadgets. I didn't expect this from ie german engineers. I was hoping for a K1300GT sized 6 cyl., sleek, big motor, full fairing, seating about like the K1300GT.

Can't always get what you want, but you can get what you need, just no longer from BMW! I'll cool off
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #25
mikedard
Founding Member

Thumbs up Yes. Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I've split lanes on a Geezer Glide and my current K1300GT.

No problema.
Everyone moves over for a Geezer Glide. Hmmm maybe they'll move over thinking the K1600 is some new style CHP bike?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #26
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
F800ST: 450 lbs, $10,900. And a surprise winner when compared with the VFR800.
The F800ST is more than enough bike for a single rider -- plenty of power and relatively light. I'm not sure if it has enough room for two-up riding, however. It's hard to argue against it when you compare price and performance.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #27
mikedard
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
The F800ST is more than enough bike for a single rider -- plenty of power and relatively light. I'm not sure if it has enough room for two-up riding, however. It's hard to argue against it when you compare price and performance.
Nice bike good commuter, sport touring-short trips coast highways etc., great price, not a GT too weak, period.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #28
mikedard
Founding Member

Smile Twisty's, Short Trip's, nice price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Nice bike, great looking, have to say this great looking fairing, good commuter, sport touring-short trips coast highways etc., great price, not a GT too weak, period. Blanket statement more than enough bike for a single rider... in your opinion. For me the F800ST it's a twin! Just my opinion.

Last edited by mikedard : 10-15-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

I like GTs but the problem I see with them is that if you really try to use the capability you are too likely to spend your evening in the Crowbar Hotel rather than the Great Western. Tigers, RTs and such do 90 all day just as well.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #30
mikedard
Founding Member

Smile That's pretty close to reality! Sometimes to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I like GTs but the problem I see with them is that if you really try to use the capability you are too likely to spend your evening in the Crowbar Hotel rather than the Great Western. Tigers, RTs and such do 90 all day just as well.
Some states never ever, some you have to ask the locals, always be carefull in the Jordan Valley, Oregon, US Highway 95. Even Nevada is getting touchy, never go through it on a weekend, or when the Reno motorcycle event is happening. Any other time you can drive like the locals if you can keep up with them! But and as I get older and they get newer equipment... You're right.