Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
cloud9
Registered Member

Default Winter effects on a motorcycle

So I'm contemplating purchasing a motorcycle (1st timer) and would like to be as active a rider as possible. With winter quickly approaching, I'm always fearful that riding in the winter is going to speed up the deterioration on certain parts of the bike.

Does this apply only after a road is salted, or even if the roads look clear there can still be rust and corrosion happening because your riding in that environment?

How do you non cali/florida riders deal with taking care of your motorcycle once winter settles in? Any particular products recommended or just generally keeping up with the washes?

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

A lot depends on where you live. In dry areas like Utah I don't do anything to store my bikes except put some stabilizer in the fuel and hook up a battery tender.

You do not want to ride when there is any chance of ice. If you hit ice you will go down. Therefore there's no worry about salt because when it's that cold and snowy you take the car.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
winginitrick
Registered Member

you didnt say whether or not you have a man cave or not. if you do, just clean her good, hook her up to a tender, to the battery, and cover her up, and every once in a while, go out and start her up and warm her up for a minute. be sure to stroke her a few times, while shes purring, and she will love you for it! keep her warm, and dry, and clean, and you will have nothing to worry about. if you dont have a man cave, then all is different. keep on winginit rick
Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
So I'm contemplating purchasing a motorcycle (1st timer) and would like to be as active a rider as possible. With winter quickly approaching, I'm always fearful that riding in the winter is going to speed up the deterioration on certain parts of the bike.

Does this apply only after a road is salted, or even if the roads look clear there can still be rust and corrosion happening because your riding in that environment?

How do you non cali/florida riders deal with taking care of your motorcycle once winter settles in? Any particular products recommended or just generally keeping up with the washes?

I'll have an article for you on this in maybe a week or a little longer.

Where do you live? What kind of climate? You ask about salt on roads and warmer climate.

Parking a motorcycle for five months in frigid weather can be just as detrimental as not using it, if you don't take the correct steps.

I rode year round in Pennsylvania (most recently) on an R1 (didn't go slow) and had a blast. Now in SoCal, I'll do the same, with less effort.

Washing anything corrosive is always a good idea (road salt, dirt and grime, etc.). There's always residue even between saltings, but it's usually visible on the bike. Just be proactive and wash it. The finish ought to stave off rust if you keep after it. Keep paint waxed. Silicone spray may help coating finished metal parts like the engine, but you can still damage finishes riding in slop. Engine heat is a catalyst, and in years past I've damaged the black coated finish on headers (which no spray on chemical can protect because they're too hot). I wouldn't let this stop you though. Today's finishes are probably a little better. Even so, it's best to avoid riding in rain with salt on the roads.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winginitrick View Post
you didnt say whether or not you have a man cave or not. if you do, just clean her good, hook her up to a tender, to the battery, and cover her up, and every once in a while, go out and start her up and warm her up for a minute. be sure to stroke her a few times, while shes purring, and she will love you for it! keep her warm, and dry, and clean, and you will have nothing to worry about. if you dont have a man cave, then all is different. keep on winginit rick

I'm sorry but "warming it up for a minute" is exactly what you don't want to do. Doing that will allow condensation to form in the oil and exhaust system which is not something you want. If you insist on listening to your bike run than start it up and let it run for long enough to get good and hot, if you have a center stand and can safely do so then put the bike in gear and let it run for awhile, that'll give the gears a good spin and a fresh coating of oil.

You're better off just putting Stabil in the tank, filling it to the rim and leaving it on a trickle charger. Either that or gear up and go for a ride every chance you get unless you have snow and ice on the ground of course. I'm fortunate that there's usually only a week or two here and there where it's just too nasty out to ride, the rest of the time I can gear up and go at least for a short ride almost every day.

There's nothing so invigorating as a brisk ride on a cold day providing you have the right gear, the air has that special bite to it, frost twinkling on the fields...... I love it!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'm fortunate that there's usually only a week or two here and there where it's just too nasty out to ride, the rest of the time I can gear up and go at least for a short ride almost every day.

There's nothing so invigorating as a brisk ride on a cold day providing you have the right gear, the air has that special bite to it, frost twinkling on the fields...... I love it!
Well, now that you have RoboBoxer, you don't have many excuses...

BTW, there was a bike at Barber this weekend in the same color as yours.

Although I can't describe it, that 'Orange' looks a lot better in person.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Well, now that you have RoboBoxer, you don't have many excuses...

BTW, there was a bike at Barber this weekend in the same color as yours.

Although I can't describe it, that 'Orange' looks a lot better in person.

Well I think it looks just fine thanks you very much, not a bland and unappealing white like some Tigers I've seen. The correct term is "Namibia" Orange......Apparently the sand dunes in Namibia have a particularly orange hue to them, as illustrated by following the link below......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bia%282%29.jpg

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
MapleDave
Registered Member

In the UK, I ride all but 1-2 weeks where there's ice. I made the mistake of taking my bike out after a frost. I hadn't even ridden 1 mile before I hit a patch, and dumped her. Lets just say I've been a lot more careful since.
MapleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
cloud9
Registered Member

I'm in NY about half hour from Manhattan so I'm in the frost belt section of the country. I don't have a cage at the moment so the motorcycle would be the only means of transportation other than mass transit.

The main reason I asked this question is after watching videos with riders in the uk; I always see their motorcycles covered in crud like it hasn't been washed in months and that has me worried about corrosion setting in.

How bearable is winter riding without heated gear on a 20-30 minute ride of freeway/city riding with a naked bike? I know this largely depends on the bike but is it not recommended or possible with the right set-up??

Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
cloud9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
I'll have an article for you on this in maybe a week or a little longer.
Just saw the article. Appreciate you guys giving us this valuable info that can benefit all riders. Winter maintenance or lack there of can really break down a bike.