Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Philosophy

It is better to have a GS and not need one than to need a GS and not have one.I'm not sure this applies to the whale foreskin adventure suit however.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
It is better to have a GS and not need one than to need a GS and not have one.I'm not sure this applies to the whale foreskin adventure suit however.
As long as you have the right resources available:

A picture(video) is worth a thousand words:

YouTube - SUZUKI DL-BMW 1150GS

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 10-12-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I plan on hitting some Forest Service roads, of which there are hundreds of miles near by. Nothing too strenuous though. So far my Aerostitch is holding up to the task though it only has a Polartech fleece liner culled from shredded baby milk jugs by skilled artisans......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #24
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

I probably wouldn't do much off-roading on a 1200GS myself, as it isn't a very good off-road bike. That said, I would love to have one. I would ride as far and wide as my work schedule would allow.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Fire/Gravel Roads

I ride a number of fire and gravel roads in my area on my R.None of them are to steep and I take my time on them.I'm sure it is possible to ride more severe trails on a GS with offroad tires because of that suspension travel.Rawhide Adventures is fairly close by and I have thought about taking the adventure course they offer.At my advanced age I would be a little more comfortable with a lighter dirt bike with real knobbies on some of the steeper trails.Another reason to have at least 5 different bikes.

Last edited by jmdonald : 10-12-2010 at 02:09 PM.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Another reason to have at least 5 different bikes.
Hell, that Gelande-Strasse is big-enough to be a "Mothership" for a small real dirt-bike.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #27
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
culled from shredded baby milk jugs by skilled artisans......
Because with a name like "Shredded Baby Milk Jugs," it has to be good.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I ride a number of fire and gravel roads in my area on my R.None of them are to steep and I take my time on them.I'm sure it is possible to ride more severe trails on a GS with offroad tires because of that suspension travel.Rawhide Adventures is fairly close buy and I have thoght about taking the adventure course they offer.At my advanced age I would be a little more comfortable with a lighter dirt bike with real knobbies on some of the steeper trails.Another reason to have at least 5 different bikes.
A friend who owns several BMWs had an 1150GS. He got tired of the high clearance and sold it for an R1100R which he put more aggressive tires on. He says that the plain R bike is better on dirt roads and such because of the lower CoG.

For light dirt bikes a high CoG is nice. But when these ATs push 500+ lbs the high CoG becomes a hindrance IMHO. I take my Tiger on improved dirt roads because my wife and I like to seek Indian ruins in the deserts. But frankly the high CoG makes me nervous with all that 2up weight. While I like it better than the GL1100 I wish it had the GL1100s low CoG.

If one really wants to do a lot of off-pavement adventuring they'd be better off with a Versys, a Wee-strom or an F800GS than the bigger ones. Every pound of weight one can save is important.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
pushrod
Founding Member

Or maybe even a Triumph Adventure?

Although I'm interested to see how they harness an engine that makes a bazillion rpm (as a 675) to serve as a Dual Purpose powerplant.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default I can see it.

[quote=seruzawa;250725]A friend who owns several BMWs had an 1150GS. He got tired of the high clearance and sold it for an R1100R which he put more aggressive tires on. He says that the plain R bike is better on dirt roads and such because of the lower CoG.

I have always liked R bikes and the CoG on my RA is definately a lot lower than the GS.With the right tires I can see it giving a GS a run for the money.I'm tall enough for a GS and it may be my next bike because of it's all around do everything ability.For me unless I had a dedicated dirt only bike I doubt I would tackle anything more rugged than a fire road.The Tiger and Multistrada are high on my list of the if I can only have one bike this would be it type.They are a lot lighter than the GS and that is appealing.I like shaft drive but may be willing to dirty myself for a Tiger or Multi.