Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
Mid way through thearticle you have a pic of a pointy nosed sport bike. While it is indeed a Kawasaki, has a 1000cc I-4, and is a sport bike it's not the zx-10. It's the new ninja 1000.

Don't feel too bad though, if you look at Kawasaki's U.S. website the thumbnail pic for the new ninja 1000 is auctually last years zx-10. Whoops.
Oops! We'll get that swapped out in the morning! Thx for pointing it out.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #12
FastGuy1976
Registered Member

I'm very excite for this bike. Surprised it doesn't have a cross-plane crankshaft since I've been following this bike at Kawasaki-challenge.com where it's been referred to as a "screamer motor". Of course that could mean anything but did have a Yamaha M1 sound sorta.. Anyway, there are a couple things I'd like to reference regarding the article. Which is very good btw. More informative than any other sites I've visited thus far.

I'm not one of those douche's that prides myself in pointing out how smart or informed I am. (wait.. does that last statement, by definition, make me that guy?.. No) Well, I read the article with excitement and have some questions and/or comments. Here they are in chronological order:

In the photo which illustrates the positional position of the the shafts within the engine, the article explains that it was moved toward the exhaust side for less lateral load. However according the the photos it appears to move closer to the Intake Valves. Either the author is wrong on location/performance advantage or perhaps Kawaski found more efficiency this way and creates torque.- A leverage trick that Yamaha used on the2009- XX R1 and reverse engine 2010 yzf450 maybe?

Additionally it reads that raising the motor in the the frame which raises the center of gravity and increases rotating mass. I understand that moving the roatating mass to the center of the chassis helps decrease gyroscope effect which in fact effectively increases agility.

Another poster referenced the misplaced photo of the zx1000.

Oh, note! (as I'm trying to make this chronological I see the mention of the shorter swing arm.) This is an interesting move for Kawi.. once again. The did this from the 05 to the 06 gen. It seems that Kawasaki is confused on what to do with their swingarm. Hope it works but more length is the proven ingredient. The 04-2010 has been a difficult bike to set-up for track.

**3 spoke wheels** (again, a thought) A little disappointing being there is so much more space between spoke and therefore are more prone to bending.. However, in the name of weight loss and reduced gyroscope effect, purposeful which is what it's really all about. (Honda uses 3 spoke wheels now and incidentally are lighter that Machesini's forged aluminum.

Lastly, and forgive me the the chronological order since Ive forgotten where it was mentioned but 200 crank horsepower better be a conservative number since a friend of mine that is racing the BMWS1000 had it dynoed at 192 RWHP in stock for with an Arrow slip-one which. To those who suspect the dyno results, it measured a 2009 ZX14 at 169 RWHP. (Dynojet Dyno and around 100 ft above sea level.) Nevertheless, great article. Thanks for the info and the read.

Last edited by FastGuy1976 : 10-06-2010 at 02:39 AM.
FastGuy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGuy1976 View Post
I'm very excite for this bike. Surprised it doesn't have a cross-plane crankshaft since I've been following this bike at Kawasaki-challenge.com where it's been referred to as a "screamer motor". Of course that could mean anything but did have a Yamaha M1 sound sorta.. Anyway, there are a couple things I'd like to reference regarding the article. Which is very good btw. More informative than any other sites I've visited thus far.
Glad you enjoyed the article's comprehensiveness, FG. There never was any serious talk about the ZX having a crossplane crank, although there was a rumor it had a big-bang firing order, This turned out to be only rumor, as we reported back on July 13 in our earlier preview of the bike. It is a screamer motor, which is has the same firing order as every other I-4 except the R1.

Quote:
In the photo which illustrates the positional position of the the shafts within the engine, the article explains that it was moved toward the exhaust side for less lateral load. However according the the photos it appears to move closer to the Intake Valves. Either the author is wrong on location/performance advantage or perhaps Kawaski found more efficiency this way and creates torque.- A leverage trick that Yamaha used on the2009- XX R1 and reverse engine 2010 yzf450 maybe?
You've got two subjects mixed into one. The shaft arrangement has nothing to do with the the offset con-rod centerline which isn't represented in that image. Like the YZF like you noted, this offset transfers its power directly down the cylinder during the combustion stroke.

Quote:
Additionally it reads that raising the motor in the the frame which raises the center of gravity and increases rotating mass. I understand that moving the roatating mass to the center of the chassis helps decrease gyroscope effect which in fact effectively increases agility.
You've got most of this correct except for the part about increasing rotating mass. It changes the location of the rotating mass but doesn't affect its quantity.

Quote:
I see the mention of the shorter swing arm.) This is an interesting move for Kawi.. once again. The did this from the 05 to the 06 gen. It seems that Kawasaki is confused on what to do with their swingarm. Hope it works but more length is the proven ingredient. The 04-2010 has been a difficult bike to set-up for track.
Yes, previous 10Rs have been hard to set up for racing at high levels. It's now a common perception that longer swingarms help traction, but we'll have to see how this one works with its new frame.

Quote:
**3 spoke wheels** (again, a thought) A little disappointing being there is so much more space between spoke and therefore are more prone to bending.. However, in the name of weight loss and reduced gyroscope effect, purposeful which is what it's really all about. (Honda uses 3 spoke wheels now and incidentally are lighter that Machesini's forged aluminum.
I don't care how many spokes a wheel has when they cut 1.8 lbs of rotating, unsprung mass!

Quote:
Lastly, and forgive me the the chronological order since Ive forgotten where it was mentioned but 200 crank horsepower better be a conservative number since a friend of mine that is racing the BMWS1000 had it dynoed at 192 RWHP in stock for with an Arrow slip-one which. To those who suspect the dyno results, it measured a 2009 ZX14 at 169 RWHP. (Dynojet Dyno and around 100 ft above sea level.) Nevertheless, great article. Thanks for the info and the read.
Well, BMW claims 193 crankshaft hp from the S1000RR, and a stocker puts out 175 at the rear wheel. The ZX isn't going to match that due to sound-emissions regs that strangle its top end. It might not even make 160 hp at the wheel, but I bet it'll crank out more than 180 with a pipe and Power Commander.

Good questions. Glad you enjoyed the read!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
cloud9
Registered Member

This Kawasaki is certainly one of the sexiest zx 10's in recent memory. Reminds me of the rsv4 from the front and the side profile is quite nice too. It's funny how very few bikes are shown from the rear.

Men love the rear of a lot of things need I say more.

You know it's the golden age of motorcycles when the only thing we can find to complain about on modern motorcycles are mirrors, exhaust appearance and the cost of the bikes (then again cost of everything is going up).

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
Men love the rear of a lot of things need I say more.
Preach it, brother!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
Duken4evr
Founding Member

It will certainly make more power than the old model. Given that, the upgraded TC system is a very desirable thing! The Ti headers are way cool too. The one thing I dislike is the LCD bar graph tach. Small potatoes though, I suppose.

I still would love to see a Japanese company put this kind of slavish attention to detail into a sporting street bike through. The new Z1000 is a step in the right direction, but gimme truly silly power, TC, a cutting edge engine and chassis and handlebar. Ducati already does. Anyone else wanna play?

Oh well. Perhaps this new engine will find it's way into a later edition Z someday, detuned to, oh, 150hp or so. That could work. All the better to recover tooling costs eh?
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
It will certainly make more power than the old model. Given that, the upgraded TC system is a very desirable thing! The Ti headers are way cool too. The one thing I dislike is the LCD bar graph tach. Small potatoes though, I suppose.

I still would love to see a Japanese company put this kind of slavish attention to detail into a sporting street bike through. The new Z1000 is a step in the right direction, but gimme truly silly power, TC, a cutting edge engine and chassis and handlebar. Ducati already does. Anyone else wanna play?

Oh well. Perhaps this new engine will find it's way into a later edition Z someday, detuned to, oh, 150hp or so. That could work. All the better to recover tooling costs eh?
LED Tach, not LCD - lights up, not "darks over".

I don't understand the brough-ha-ha over the tach anyway; I never "ride by the tach" - and if I'm really puttin' the spurs to it, I don't have time to pay attention to it anyway. Might be if I were a "Pro" rider, I'd care. But I'm not, so I don't.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 10-06-2010 at 10:02 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Oops! We'll get that swapped out in the morning! Thx for pointing it out.
It looks like a 650 tank. Thought I noticed that.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I don't understand the brough-ha-ha over the tach anyway; I never "ride by the tach" - and if I'm really puttin' the spurs to it, I don't have time to pay attention to it anyway. Might be if I were a "Pro" rider, I'd care. But I'm not, so I don't.
I don't study the tach either when riding fast. Having done a few track days, I do prefer the analog needle in that environment. For me anyway, it's relative position is easier to discern vs. the LED bar tach in any kind of light in the blink of an eye.

I agree though, I rarely look at the tach on the FZ1. There really is no need to unless going for the extreme top end power and trying to avoid hitting the rev limiter. The thing hits the limiter at over 12,000 rpm. I am rarely man enough to go there anyway.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I can look at the tach depending on where Im at on the track (in turns) but it is hard and can take you off line very quickly. Youve got to get used to doing it for a while. Airhawk I would consider the way you ride, is by feel which takes serious experience. Dont short change yourself.