Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
MikesGSX1300RK9
Registered Member

Default Newbie Here - Question About Suitable Bikes

I have been riding for awhile, and bought a Hayabusa earlier this year. Unfortunately had some bad luck shortly after purchase and am starting to think that my 130 pound frame is probably better suited to something lighter. I love the Busa, and although I've taken the MSF course and still take her to the parking lot, know that I may not be strong enough to muscle the bike around in an emergency situation. I'm fairly strong, but worry that I'd drop the bike in a turning panic stop in traffic.

Interestingly, I have a Kawasaki Ninja 250 from "back in the day" and have such concern with it. However, it is much too small for my daily commute, to the point of being unsafe. Folks tailgate here and drive too fast. It was fine where I lived previously, but I see 65-70 mph daily and need to be able to accelerate briskly at that speed if conditions require it for safety.

SO... I'm thinking about selling both bikes and moving to a sportbike that is as fast (or faster) than your average Mustang Cobra but is easier to handle in traffic/maneuvering for the daily commute. Looking for 50+ mpg. The dealer has a nice 500 for sale, used with only 500 miles, but I'm not sure that the 500 will have the oomph I'm looking for (especially after riding the Busa.)

I do like the length of the Busa, as it helps reduce chances of unintentional wheelies. This was actually a selling point when I bought the bike, as I've heard of many folks having accidents with their "liter bikes" due being "squidilicious" and having the front end come up or other issues.

Considering new or used... although some of the nicer new bikes were within $1000 of the price of the Busa when I bought the Busa (new.) Not sure I'd want to spend that kind of money for something that isn't a Busa.

Appreciate any replies that will be helpful in solving the problem.
MikesGSX1300RK9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

How long have you been riding? How longs it been since you rode a motorcycle? Were there any bikes in-between the EX250 and the GSX1300?

You sound very gullible to buy a bike of that size without the amount of ability required to get out of a panic situation.Grow out of a bike not into it! Even more so you actually fell for the line "you should buy it, it won't wheelie over on you"! That's bull**** the GSX13 will flip you over just as fast as a liter.

Don't be stupid the reason you feel unsafe is not because of your size or weight but rather your lack of experience and common sence, once again proven not so common. Get smart and get a smaller bike like an sv650 and don't be a contributor of high insurance premiums.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 10-04-2010 at 07:22 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to atleast ten characters.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
MikesGSX1300RK9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
How long have you been riding? How longs it been since you rode a motorcycle? Were there any bikes in-between the EX250 and the GSX1300?

You sound very gullible to buy a bike of that size without the amount of ability required to get out of a panic situation.Grow out of a bike not into it! Even more so you actually fell for the line "you should buy it, it won't wheelie over on you"! That's bull**** the GSX13 will flip you over just as fast as a liter.

Don't be stupid the reason you feel unsafe is not because of your size or weight but rather your lack of experience and common sence, once again proven not so common. Get smart and get a smaller bike like an sv650 and don't be a contributor of high insurance premiums.
Gee, thanks for passing such judgment without knowing a thing about me!

I fell for the line that the Busa has a longer wheelbase (seemed true compared to the liter bikes parked around it at the dealer) and is more suited to my style of riding (i.e., NOT riding like an idiot squidilicious kid with a liter sportbike he can't control.) I am not a racer, and don't ride like I am. I do like a bike I can be comfortable on, and I am looking for something to commute on (but will probably keep the Busa).

I'll do my own searching on used lots...

Last edited by MOKE1K : 10-06-2010 at 03:00 PM.
MikesGSX1300RK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesGSX1300RK9 View Post

I fell for the line that the Busa has a longer wheelbase (seemed true compared to the liter bikes parked around it at the dealer) and is more suited to my style of riding (i.e., NOT riding like an idiot squidilicious kid with a liter sportbike he can't control.) I am not a racer, and don't ride like I am. I do like a bike I can be comfortable on, and I am looking for something to commute on (but will probably keep the Busa).

Don't take it the wrong way. We get a fair number of newbies wanting to start out on literbikes and from experience many of us know that these guys too often die or get seriously injured. You gotta admit that your OP sounded like you didn't have much experience.

You might try something like a Triumph Tiger or a Yammer FZ1 or maybe a Bandit 1250. Try a lot of bikes. Prices are going to come down real soon for winter.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Mike- the majority of guys riding Busas couldn't ride a Ninja 500 to it's edge on a track, let alone street ride a Busa. It's just a fact.

You seriously want clip-ons on a bike that you will commute with? May I suggest the B-King. All the Busa eating hot-rod you can eat with all the happiness of riding a UJM. Just sayin.........
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Interestingly, I have a Kawasaki Ninja 250 from "back in the day" and have such concern with it. However, it is much too small for my daily commute, to the point of being unsafe. Folks tailgate here and drive too fast. It was fine where I lived previously, but I see 65-70 mph daily and need to be able to accelerate briskly at that speed if conditions require it for safety.
The Kawasaki Ninja 650 is the perfect combination of usable power, somewhat sporty looks and top-end.

If you have a strong enough character to march to the beat of a different drummer, you might want to consider the BMW F800ST. The Beemer has plenty of power, totally decent handling and commuter amenities like heated grips, factory luggage, ESA, etc. Do yourself a favor and check out those two bikes.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
ejis
Founding Member

Still don't know what kind of experience you have, but something like a Ninja 650R, Versys, Bandit, or SV650 may be good. All have enough power to "be safe", comfortable riding positions, not too heavy...
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:

Hey buddy sorry don't mean to be harsh on you but your first post tells me alot about you. You said you don't want to be some squid on a liter that can't control it, but then you admit being skeptical about handling the same type of situation on the GSX13 which is even bigger than a liter bike. See my point?

Then you go on to point out your thinking of a 500, that bike is a tick above the 250? Get a sv650 or a 600 both will have enough power to blow anything (car) off the line. Good luck!