Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Triumph Street Triple R vs. 2011 Ducati Monster 796 Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16510-2010-triumph-street-triple-r-vs-2011-ducati-monster-796-shootout.html)

Administrator 09-22-2010 12:51 PM

2010 Triumph Street Triple R vs. 2011 Ducati Monster 796 Shootout

Original Article:
2010 Triumph Street Triple R vs. 2011 Ducati Monster 796 Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Triumph Street Triple R vs. 2011 Ducati Monster 796 Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 09-22-2010 02:58 PM

Surprised

Triumph nevers ceases to surprise me with their offering.Two great choices for a comparo.Where were these bikes 25 years ago?The market offers so much more these days.Great price point, low weight great styling(I like both) and available today.As long as the ergonomics fit.What more could you ask for?

pushrod 09-22-2010 03:21 PM

Nice write-up!

Having only a bit of time on a Striple, I should warn anyone contemplating a purchase that they should first buy an asbestos wallet for their Driver' s License! Especially if it has the Arrow pipe on it. Hoo!

tripleripple 09-22-2010 03:31 PM

The video was so good I didn't even read the article. Well done.

(I'll read it later, promise.)

Love the bikes, wouldn't buy the Duc, contemplating the Street. I'm glad this class is growing and getting better all the time.

The_AirHawk 09-22-2010 04:18 PM

I swear to Xmas, that Fool Injerction is a bloody F-Bomb'n Miracle......

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga...DI_NOISSES_PMT

Lookit how F-bomb'n FLAT the dyno-plot-curves are on these bikes! I recall seeing the plots in the mags from days of yore (say the early '80s and into the late '90s), and there was ALWAYS at least one gaping "hole" (huge dip) in the plot due to the fuel-circuit transition from slow to main jet, and usually one other minor dip ("flatspot"), if not two elsewhere.

Typically the hole was about the first third or so of the way through the engine's usable RPM-range. As carb-tech and tuning progressed, they managed to narrow that "hole" to a spike, but it was still always there.

BOTH of those plots, a typical race-tuner would have sacrificed his firstborn and given his left testicle to boot for, back in the '80s. Not necessarily the numbers - but the shape of them.

Kevin_Duke 09-22-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 249721)
Nice write-up!

Having only a bit of time on a Striple, I should warn anyone contemplating a purchase that they should first buy an asbestos wallet for their Driver' s License! Especially if it has the Arrow pipe on it. Hoo!

And riding the bike makes its rider wonder why anyone would need more motor than this. One of the best.

12er 09-22-2010 05:54 PM

Cant back you guys up on the Duc looking better. Ive shared my too busy look on the new monster, but the Striple is ugly in all the right places. If I was a foot shorter it would be topping the list. That or if the tiger cub comes out.

Kevin_Duke 09-22-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 249730)
Cant back you guys up on the Duc looking better. Ive shared my too busy look on the new monster, but the Striple is ugly in all the right places. If I was a foot shorter it would be topping the list. That or if the tiger cub comes out.

I just got back from running errands on the Monster. I think it's a gorgeous motorcycle. Got thumbs-up sign from a Ninja rider, and the staff at my P.T.'s office (who see me on all sorts of bikes) really dug it. Looks better in the flesh than in photos.

BTW, I'd find a way to afford the 1100 and its better motor and suspension. Then again, I'm talking hypothetical dollars...

sconley 09-23-2010 05:38 PM

"The Triumph’s large analog tachometer joined by an easily read LCD readout is preferable to the Ducati’s smaller all-LCD display."

I guess MOFO's will have to take MO's word for it as there aren't any pictures of the Ducati's instruments to compare it to?

I also think a torque curve would be appropriate with the HP figures, or am I asking too much?

...And yes, I do want a StripleR...

Kevin_Duke 09-23-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sconley (Post 249781)
"The Triumph’s large analog tachometer joined by an easily read LCD readout is preferable to the Ducati’s smaller all-LCD display."

I guess MOFO's will have to take MO's word for it as there aren't any pictures of the Ducati's instruments to compare it to?

I also think a torque curve would be appropriate with the HP figures, or am I asking too much?

...And yes, I do want a StripleR...

Well, you could look at our photo gallery for his shot: http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=257473

You aren't asking too much, you're just not noticing the torque chart directly under the hp chart in the article. Dunno why, but you could also see it in the - wait for it - photo gallery! :wink: