Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Hyosung ST7 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16447-2010-hyosung-st7-review.html)

Administrator 09-17-2010 01:23 PM

2010 Hyosung ST7 Review

Original Article:
2010 Hyosung ST7 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Hyosung ST7 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 09-17-2010 01:51 PM

Swing! And a miss!

I'd buy a Bonneville in a NY second before I looked twice at the ST7.

And Duke-ster: What is the difference between a 'low' 27 inch seat and a high one?

(Just busting your chops! Good write-up!)

Kevin_Duke 09-17-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 249445)

And Duke-ster: What is the difference between a 'low' 27 inch seat and a high one?

Well, that depends how tall you are... ;)

jmdonald 09-17-2010 03:57 PM

Admiration

I admire their effort but this company needs an offering that differentiates it from the competition.

mscuddy 09-17-2010 04:39 PM

The one that has "ATK" on the tank looks a lot better, Frank White had a lot to do with the styling. Look for an ATK/Hyosung dual-sport based on the Cannondale design too. Maybe they'll use it as an Army bike when they finally invade the North and kick that nut case to the curb.

Kevin_Duke 09-17-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 249454)
I admire their effort but this company needs an offering that differentiates it from the competition.

Um, they tried that.
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/a-new-way-to-cruise-2007-hyosung-avitar-road-test-29989.html

jmdonald 09-17-2010 08:29 PM

See your point

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 249462)

From a marketing point of view it seems to fall short a bit in offering but if you are going for a piece of the cruiser market so be it.Price point says a lot for that certain segment that doesn't care about creating an identity for themselves.I just don't see anyone jumping on the Hyosung band wagon with this bike.Psychology is at play here and unless there is a big differentiator I would think most buyers would spend their money on something else.Everyone is different when it comes to these types of choices.All things being equal what is the motivation to buy? As an example Triumph seems to always cost less than their competition if you look at any given segment.Although close it is not always at that higher level. The Hyundai Sonata has the perception of being better than its competion at a lower cost.Regardless it is a fine effort from Hyosung.Good luck to them.Nice review by the way. You always cover all the bases.

Kevin_Duke 09-18-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 249466)
From a marketing point of view it seems to fall short a bit in offering but if you are going for a piece of the cruiser market so be it.Price point says a lot for that certain segment that doesn't care about creating an identity for themselves.I just don't see anyone jumping on the Hyosung band wagon with this bike.Psychology is at play here and unless there is a big differentiator I would think most buyers would spend their money on something else.Everyone is different when it comes to these types of choices.All things being equal what is the motivation to buy? As an example Triumph seems to always cost less than their competition if you look at any given segment.Althogh close it is not always at that higher level. The Kia Sonata has the perception of being better than its competion at a lower cost.Regardless it is a fine effort from Hyosung.Good luck to them.Nice review by the way. You always cover all the bases.

Thx, JMD. I agree. Without a price distinction, they'll have trouble moving lots of these in America. However, it may do big numbers in Asia where its rivals cost relatively more.

acecycleins 09-18-2010 06:57 AM

Huyndai didn't just start making Honda quality cars over night. Hyosung is on the right path. Their "focus groups" must not have been filled with real seasoned riders. Otherwise, some of these small things like wiring and chrome plastic would have been addressed, but they will get another chance at the plate for the 2012 bikes.
I give them a solid B- for their effort.

sarnali2 09-18-2010 10:06 AM

Ditto, if their cars and electronics are anything to go by they'll have these dialed in PDQ