Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Triumph Sprint GT Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16389-2011-triumph-sprint-gt-review.html)

Administrator 09-13-2010 03:20 PM

2011 Triumph Sprint GT Review

Original Article:
2011 Triumph Sprint GT Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Triumph Sprint GT Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 09-13-2010 03:41 PM

Almost perfect but not quite

It looks like a few issues need to be ironed out but overall it's a keeper.They should fix the light issue before a mid model update.Very important for a tourer I would think.I can see where an agressive rider may like chain drive but for me in my old age the maintenance factor of shaft drive in a touring bike has more of an appeal.Triumph has a world class offering with a price point that makes a statement to the competition.My Yankee austerity is pulled in that direction.Another bike I want.

mscuddy 09-13-2010 04:49 PM

Oh how smashing! It will look super parked next to the Bently. It will make a nice compliment to my week-end canyon bike, the grocerey getter and the Thruxton. Oh I can't wait! I've solied myself thinking about it!

12er 09-13-2010 06:05 PM

Nice, windshield looks a little low (-) and the bags look like my bmw's (+).

jmdonald 09-13-2010 07:45 PM

Nicely Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 249234)
Oh how smashing! It will look super parked next to the Bently. It will make a nice compliment to my week-end canyon bike, the grocerey getter and the Thruxton. Oh I can't wait! I've solied myself thinking about it!

Some of the best comments on the planet and funniest too.Well done.Especially the soiled myself part.I'm still laughing.

Dr_Sprocket 09-13-2010 08:33 PM

It'll be interesting to see how it slots in compared to the likes of BMW, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. Cheaper for sure, with less amenities I'd bet. Not sure if I like the significant increase in weight, though.

seruzawa 09-13-2010 11:27 PM

Do you want more or less sport in your touring? More... get the Sprints.

The near 50mpg in reasonable Interstate cruising should make it best of the tailor-made sport tourers.

sliphorn 09-14-2010 09:08 AM

Thanks for the good review, Jeff. I have an '06 and love it. The minor things that a lot of Sprinters complained about and have now been addressed in the GT, never really bothered me.

Actually that's not quite right. I really hated the projector lamps until I installed some Philips Xtreme and properly aimed the darn things. Much better now.

Go Triumph.

Jeff Cobb 09-14-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliphorn (Post 249259)
Thanks for the good review, Jeff. I have an '06 and love it. The minor things that a lot of Sprinters complained about and have now been addressed in the GT, never really bothered me.

Actually that's not quite right. I really hated the projector lamps until I installed some Philips Xtreme and properly aimed the darn things. Much better now.

Go Triumph.

Thanks Sliphorn! I gave as much info as I could squeeze in. I've experimented with both higher color temp and output bulbs too, and they do make a difference. Aiming the lights does too. On that note, it is possible the high beam on the GT we had might have been aimed just a little high. Adjusting the GT's stock lights may help a little. However, I still think once you've experienced what aux lights can do for you, you'll never go back. A pair of small PIAA (etc.) white-beamed fog lights would augment the low beams and not offend oncoming motorists. A pair of spots or floods (such as from Trail Tech) with no upper beam cutoff) would augment back road and serve as extra "high beams." The extra lights increase your frontal visibility at the same time and are a total win in my opinion. But if you're okay without them, to each his own.

Glad you like your bike! It's a good one, for sure.

Kenneth_Moore 09-14-2010 10:33 AM

$735 for a top box?!!? Can you say "Givi?"

Re: the headlights. Setting up a relay circuit with a direct link to the battery can make a huge difference. A lot of bike makers are routing the headlight feed through tiny gauge wires in the handlebars, which not only limits current, but also blows out the switches prematurely.

Solved the Tiger dual headlight relay mystery - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums