Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Re: the headlights. Setting up a relay circuit with a direct link to the battery can make a huge difference. A lot of bike makers are routing the headlight feed through tiny gauge wires in the handlebars, which not only limits current, but also blows out the switches prematurely.

Solved the Tiger dual headlight relay mystery - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums[/quote]

Yes. I've done this to my own bike. It has relays and 12 gauge soldered connections. That helps get almost full current which I tested before and after with a volt meter.

After that, you can go to uprated, but still legal bulbs like the Phillips bulbs Sliphorn mentioned. There are a few other brands that make other claims, and there is improvement to be gained.

After that, you can drop in "illegal skyburners," (high wattage halogen replacement bulbs for use with the relay) but of course, I am not recommending anything illegal. And you run the risk of melting a plastic bezel although the bezel is pretty far away on the Sprint ...

Then there's the HID option which also helps (and comes with relays), but technically is illegal too, simply because not DOT tested, and not optimized for the reflector designed for halogen bulbs.

Pick your poison. Legal and unoffensive recommendations can include fogs. They put more light on the road. It depends on needs and preferences and your ability to be discrete.

With OEM car makers like Mercedes and Audi and Porsche, etc. now spec'ing astonishing stock headlights that are nevertheless legal, a lot of people have been experimenting on improving visibility in cars and motorcycles. Quasi legal set-ups have been known to pass scrutiny because other vehicles now have super bright legal set-ups.

It's a matter of doing your research, and making your choice. ...
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
A lot of bike makers are routing the headlight feed through tiny gauge wires in the handlebars, which not only limits current, but also blows out the switches prematurely.
This is the thing I can't figure out: Have these moto-manufacturers never heard of relays? I know it can be a bit tight to package a bike, but seriously......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well there's another one to add to the list, since Triumph refuses to re-issue the Trophy...

Let's see.....Moto Guzzi Norge` next...then R1200RT.. then Triumph Sprint GT...

That's my next three bikes sorted then,

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well there's another one to add to the list, since Triumph refuses to re-issue the Trophy...

Yeah, but first you better WAKE THE F*** UP! VACATION'S OVER YOU SLOB!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yeah, but first you better WAKE THE F*** UP! VACATION'S OVER YOU SLOB!

Get the hell out'a here kid, go play in the deep end or something.........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Default Sprint ST in U.K. and Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

Or, if you happen to have connections in sunny England or Australia, and really must have it, Triumph will be carrying forward the Sprint ST with the GT's front fairing and headlights for an undisclosed period of time.

Thought I'd throw that in just in case someone from over there thinks we Americans didn't do our homework for this review ...
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
Or, if you happen to have connections in sunny England or Australia, and really must have it, Triumph will be carrying forward the Sprint ST with the GT's front fairing and headlights for an undisclosed period of time.

Thought I'd throw that in just in case someone from over there thinks we Americans didn't do our homework for this review ...

Yeah, apparently the ST is not long for this side of the pond.

I'm sticking with my suspicion that keeping the ST will compromise a new liter/plus Daytona (or whatever they'll call it), so it has to go. The GT doesn't sway those customers.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
FalcoSC
Founding Member

It drew my interest enough to go check it out and then I discovered the 1050 Tiger was what I really wanted. Next day I traded my C14 for a 1050 Tiger. One week later and I'm in heaven. I got a 2010 Tiger ABS and bags are standard with the 2010s. It weighs 502 lbs loaded and I'm getting 46 mpg actual with a lot of it in the mountain twisties.

The main reason I didn't like the GT? The ergos sucked. It's no better than my Street Triple (which I also traded).

The Tiger rocks! Comfortable and capable.
FalcoSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalcoSC View Post
It drew my interest enough to go check it out and then I discovered the 1050 Tiger was what I really wanted. Next day I traded my C14 for a 1050 Tiger. One week later and I'm in heaven. I got a 2010 Tiger ABS and bags are standard with the 2010s. It weighs 502 lbs loaded and I'm getting 46 mpg actual with a lot of it in the mountain twisties.

The main reason I didn't like the GT? The ergos sucked. It's no better than my Street Triple (which I also traded).

The Tiger rocks! Comfortable and capable.
Another convert who has seen the light. Soon we will rule all!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
sliphorn
Registered Member

FalcoSC, like all things in life; different strokes for.............

The Sprint ergos may suck for you, but not for me.

In fact the Tiger ergos suck for me.

The Sprint rocks! Comfortable and capable.

And so it goes.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote