Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #31
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I sat on one of these yesterday at Riva. This is a very cool bike. The styling is modern and edgy without going over the top (as does the Z1000). The engine is industrial art...just beautiful to look at. The headers are gorgeous; they recall the custom CBs of the '70's and '80's. Even the swingarm is beautiful. And I have to believe the performance is outstanding, given how light and efficient the bike appears to be.

If Yamaha doesn't sell a ****load of these, something is seriously wrong.
I also feel this way about the FZ1 Frame and engine, which are near idential (I think the frame is identical, the bottom end on the engine is also). Very high tech looking. Not a drop, or even a hint of oil mist at any gasket in 4 years and 16,000 miles either. It is a tight unit.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #32
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

In addition to being a very cool looking motorcycle, this is a VERY cool riding motorcycle!

Got to ride one for about 20 minutes at Daytona. What a fun bike; it's just perfect in so many ways. If I were buying a bike today for under $10k, this would be the clear and easy choice.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Ken, would you buy the FZ8 over a couple-of-years-old FZ1 at the same price?

Okay, so you rode an FZ8, a GSXR750, and an R1. Any others? Any other observations on them?

And happy birthday! Though it's not the same without a party. Okay, so it's a little late.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #34
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Ken, would you buy the FZ8 over a couple-of-years-old FZ1 at the same price?

Okay, so you rode an FZ8, a GSXR750, and an R1. Any others? Any other observations on them?

And happy birthday! Though it's not the same without a party. Okay, so it's a little late.
It's NOT MY BIRTHDAY!! I had one already this year, and I'll be damned if I'm having another. Unless, that is, somebody is sending over a smoking-hot masseuse to blow out my candle.

The other bikes I rode were a DR-Z450S and a Victory Bobber Thingy. The DRZ was great fun; I like sitting way up high and wailing on the throttle of a big thumper. The super-moto version of this bike has got to be a real blast...the knobbies were "interesting" on pavement, to say the least.

The VBT was an utter POS. It had ape-hangers that weren't over my shoulders, they were over my head! My arms were numb after 10 minutes. This is the 3rd Vic I've ridden, and like the other 2, the engine was rough running, vibrated like a gas-powered dildo, and ran hot enough to set your pants on fire. Power -ok (about on par with my 77 Shovelhead), brakes - ok, suspension - mediocre. Whatever factor makes "cruisers" and narrow-vee engines appealing...I'm completely over it.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote