Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I bet the FZ8 gains 15 hp through the range with bolt on mods. It's big brother does

I noticed the header pipes are very long on the FZ8. That and the 4 valve head should give it nice midrange power. Makes me wish Yamaha would wave their wand over the FZ1 with this tech. It could make a very good bike even better.

Curious they are importing the naked version into the US though. Seems to me a bikini fairing version would sell better, or less badly!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
cloud9
Registered Member

I'm glad to see there's a healthy array of standards still around. Be it the gladius, ninja650/er-n or this new fz8; the options are still available from every manufacturer essentially. I'm getting my 1st motorcycle this fall/winter and all these new offerings are making it hard to go used.

Decisions decisions.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
I'm glad to see there's a healthy array of standards still around. Be it the gladius, ninja650/er-n or this new fz8; the options are still available from every manufacturer essentially. I'm getting my 1st motorcycle this fall/winter and all these new offerings are making it hard to go used.

Decisions decisions.

If I was inexperienced, I'd "go used," and get a low-to-medium-powered bike I liked, and learn to ride it with practice and training. Or I'd get a good deal on a leftover. I'd also spend some saved money on a good full face helmet and jacket and gloves at least, if not a full suit. Crashing a used or cheaper bike is less traumatic than that "dream bike" you bought first time out. I think everyone here has crashed at least once (there maybe one or two exceptions, but that's the rule).

Personally, I started on a super-slow '75 Yammi RD200 Two Stroke street bike. I still had a great time and you could not keep me off of it. I even rode it on dirt trails! If indeed motorcycling is in your blood, as it were, you will have fun on anything with two wheels and a motor. I believe new riders ought to focus on their skills, and experiences more, and the fine points of the equipment less. All these bikes you mention (and others) are way more competent than bikes most of us learned on, and as you observed, you can hardly go wrong these days. You will have a good time any way you go. I suspect you already know this, but it's worth repeating: focus on walking before you get in the habit of running, and strive to keep the rubber side down. Good luck.

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 09-04-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #24
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The article title says will the 800 be the new 750?

Perhaps it will be the new 1000 instead, given the way the economy is going. Leftover 1000 sport bikes and BKings are being sold off cheap.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #25
lwatcdr
Founding Member

I just don't know if fours are really the bikes we need. I would be much more excited if they brought the TDM900 here . Of course a new TRX would also be sweet.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #26
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Talking

How about the new Yamaha FZ8 to the Aprilia Shiver 750 to the Ducati Monster. BAM! There's your next comparo.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
If I were not your average adult plus few hundred extra fish tacos I'd probably enjoy the Triple, as well. That ZRX is fitting my style more and more with every mile.
If they keep making these bikes more and more compact I'll be stuck riding Harley's before you know it.

kinda' in that position myself, bikes get smaller and I get bigger....Riding Harleys isn't the worst thing that can happen and there's always BMW

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #28
cloud9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
I'd "go used," and get a low-to-medium-powered bike I liked, and learn to ride it with practice and training. I'd also spend some saved money on a good full face helmet and jacket and gloves at least, if not a full suit. Crashing a used or cheaper bike is less traumatic than that "dream bike" you bought first time out. I think everyone here has crashed at least once (there maybe one or two exceptions, but that's the rule)

Appreciate the advice. Already putting money aside for gear. After taking the msf course (hopefully this fall) I will gauge my capabilities and pick a bike accordingly. I'm about 97% sure I will go used and frame sliders will definitely be top priority when I purchase a bike.

I've always viewed dropping a bike be it mistake or by other unfortunate circumstances as another excuse to customize it even more.

"Oh no my clutch lever is bent......time to get a new 6 way adjustable one "

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #29
notabiker
Registered Member

i like naked sport bikes [ street fighters]. it cant have a 1/4 faring though. naked is naked. i like the idea of the yamaha FZ 8. my current bike is a 2004 kawasaki Z 1000. i would not trade my bike for another bike. new or used. i have been on a 07 FZ1 i liked everything except the 1/4 faring. it just ruins the looks of a other wise nice looking bike.
notabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #30
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I sat on one of these yesterday at Riva. This is a very cool bike. The styling is modern and edgy without going over the top (as does the Z1000). The engine is industrial art...just beautiful to look at. The headers are gorgeous; they recall the custom CBs of the '70's and '80's. Even the swingarm is beautiful. And I have to believe the performance is outstanding, given how light and efficient the bike appears to be.

If Yamaha doesn't sell a ****load of these, something is seriously wrong.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote