Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   SPOT Satellite Messenger Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16257-spot-satellite-messenger-review.html)

Administrator 08-31-2010 02:21 PM

SPOT Satellite Messenger Review

Original Article:
SPOT Satellite Messenger Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article SPOT Satellite Messenger Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SpeedwayRN 08-31-2010 02:29 PM

First!

Looks like it could be helpful .... service costs seem a little high though

lwatcdr 09-07-2010 02:03 PM

Sounds ideal for an off-road enthusiast, Adventure tourer, Backpacker, and so on. $99.00 a year isn't that bad for the minimal service and probably well worth it. Of course you could get an EPLT which costs nothing to register. Thing is that it is all or nothing. You only have the "help me I am in deep trouble" button.
Not exactly what I would suggest using for being out of gas five miles from a station but great if you break your leg in death valley.

David41 09-07-2010 02:13 PM

It does seem like a cool system. Does it use AGPS or??

The_AirHawk 09-07-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN (Post 248570)
First!

Oh Jeezus H. Chrysler! are we gonna start THAT up again?

lwatcdr 09-08-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David41 (Post 248935)
It does seem like a cool system. Does it use AGPS or??

Probably not since that would require cell coverage.
Spot uses the GlobalStar satellite system.
You can also use a "free" system called a PLB like this one.
McMurdo Fast Find 210 Personal Locator Beacon with GPS at REI.com
It is free in that you do not have to pay a fee every year.
Each have their strengths.
The PLB offers.
More coverage. The planet. No where isn't covered.
Better signal penetration. It will work in places Spot will have issues like in a deep canyon or dense forest.
No yearly fee.
The down side is that it is a panic button or nothing.
If you press the button you will get a call. If you do not answer the call and tell them that you are all right then all hell will break loose.

Spot's big advantage is that you can check in or send a message. Your wife could have one and hit a button and you would see that she say stranded with a flat somewhere and go and help.
Not really an option with PLB.

pushrod 09-08-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 248942)
Oh Jeezus H. Chrysler! are we gonna start THAT up again?

Sixth!

(Sorry! I've just returned from four fun-filled days at DisneyWorld, and am more than a little punchy.)

seruzawa 09-08-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 248971)
Sixth!

Best post!