Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 BMW F800GS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16205-2010-bmw-f800gs-review.html)

Administrator 08-26-2010 08:07 AM

2010 BMW F800GS Review

Original Article:
2010 BMW F800GS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 BMW F800GS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

12er 08-26-2010 09:34 AM

I need more money...

Kevin_Duke 08-26-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 248303)
I need more money...

Let me know if you find any extra...

tripleripple 08-26-2010 07:30 PM

I wandered into a BMW dealership last weekend. If you don't have the coin, DO NOT make that mistake. Lots of eye candy. This 800 was the only one I really wanted to see, but there weren't any in stock. That 1200GS is just an enormous thing so if I were to get a bimmer, it would be the eight hundy to get me around town. I would also need an S1000RR to send sliding down the track. (In fact, they had a used one that had been purposed for just that. Turns out a used S1000RR with "just a few scratches on the case" will still run you about 14 large.)

criquet 08-26-2010 07:32 PM

Bmw F800gs

The bike is worth the money: I have 13000 miles on mine and it is one the the best bikes I ever owned. It easely follows a 1200GS on the road and it is way faster in the dirt. (At least at my level of expertise). The supensions are too soft for jumps, and I wanted to know if anybody had tried to remedy to that yet?

SpeedwayRN 08-27-2010 04:34 AM

Hummm with the new Triumph Adventurer coming it looks like the 800cc class is about to heat up......... Triumph Adventure

Hey Duke when ya'll gonna do a bit on the new 800 triple adventure bike from Triumph? Put these two together for a 800cc adventure bike shootout. You could compare the off road and road versions from BMW to Triumph's. Sort of a 2 brand 4 bike showdown.

Kevin_Duke 08-27-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN (Post 248353)
Hummm with the new Triumph Adventurer coming it looks like the 800cc class is about to heat up......... Triumph Adventure

Hey Duke when ya'll gonna do a bit on the new 800 triple adventure bike from Triumph? Put these two together for a 800cc adventure bike shootout. You could compare the off road and road versions from BMW to Triumph's. Sort of a 2 brand 4 bike showdown.

Yes, this class should be interesting with Triumph's new bikes. Still no official details of them, but you can be sure we'll throw one of 'em into a shootout against the 800GS.

seruzawa 08-27-2010 10:40 AM

I like the F800, however a friend (who already owns 5 or 6 Beemers) tested one and told me that it had a lot of unfortunate buzzy vibration at interstate speeds. More vibro than he thought was acceptable if one were to use it for long distance. Has anyone else noticed this?

Aside from that keeping the weight substantially under 500lbs is definitely the way to go and makes the F800 more like what an Adventure bike should be.

Oh yeah, and I concur on using the ABS off road with a heavier bike and street tires. It's made my Tiger more controllable on dirt roads. You really don't want to power slide a 500lb bike with a passenger on the back. When bikes get that big I think that a lower center of gravity is more important than ground clearance.

Dr_Sprocket 08-27-2010 07:04 PM

The F800GS is probably the bike I would have gotten IF it was available when I bought the Ulysses. We saw one on the road a bit ago -- the parallel twin exhaust note was considerable different than the v-twin rumble. Perhaps some day in the future...

Duken4evr 08-28-2010 11:16 AM

One of these with some revalved/improved suspension, armor and a GPS would kick butt for Colorado. So many dirt roads right on up to hard core 4WD and single track trails that are challenging rides on my DRZ400 to explore. Can't really ride the DRZ with it's short off road gearing and knobby tires on the open highway.

Biggest problem I see is recognizing the limits of the bike. I bet a good rider can take one of these anywhere though. I sure want to give it a go. I too need more money, for one of these and a Husky TE610 or KTM 690. Now that is my idea of a Dual Sport :D