Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
nyclildan
Registered Member

Default Anyone else read this article about helmets?

Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off - Motorcyclist magazine

Im not sure if im allowed to post another motorcycle site onto this one... but the read is really interesting imo since I was looking to buy my first helmet.

Now i have no clue what to get anymore...

Anyone else see this article as accurate even though it was published in 2005?
I mean, even if it was in 2005, i would imagine the data to be damn accurate to date
nyclildan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

It's simple. If you aren't going to be riding at over 120mph a lot then don't worry about Snell ratings.

The most important thing is fit. A properly fitted helmet of decent quality will protect you better than a poorly fitted one of high quality.

Stick with major brands if the subject worries you a lot.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Voyager
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclildan View Post
t the read is really interesting imo since I was looking to buy my first helmet.

Now i have no clue what to get anymore...

Anyone else see this article as accurate even though it was published in 2005?
I mean, even if it was in 2005, i would imagine the data to be damn accurate to date
The UK introduced an 'independent' test that 'grades' helmets and publishes it's results. Although there is some controversy about it over here, as some of the 'top end' helmets have not done as well as some 'budget' models - much as that article concluded.

It's reasonably up-to-date and (I presume) has tested helmets that are available in the USA too.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Old news a really. The writer got in trouble by the rag and advertisers for telling the motorcycle riding world what most of us knew in the first place. Far as I'm concerned, if there's little wind noise and the price for the lid is under $300 then I am probably a future owner of the product. I don't do track days. I don't race through the mountains at insane speeds. I value my money in my pocket.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Old news a really. The writer got in trouble by the rag and advertisers for telling the motorcycle riding world what most of us knew in the first place. Far as I'm concerned, if there's little wind noise and the price for the lid is under $300 then I am probably a future owner of the product. I don't do track days. I don't race through the mountains at insane speeds. I value my money in my pocket.
The price of a helmet usually affects its comfort and durability more than it makes any real difference in safety. Even than some of the cheap ones hold together, like the Aussie wombat I got cheap as a spare a few years back. While my Arai had a vent scoop fall off. So even buying an expensive helmet is no guarantee of quality. Maybe it's smarter to find a helmet you really like and buy 2 or 3.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The biggest difference is usually in noise reduction and comfort. Any real DOT rated helmet should be fine as long as it's comfortable.

Stay away from the novelty fake DOT ones like beanie's and Nazi helmets, I use a 3/4 Shoei most of the year and a flip front Shoei in the winter because they fit my head best.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote