Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakikermit View Post
I see they used a 2010, and not 2006/7. Always good to be provided a bike that doesn't have problems like the earlier ones. I went 400 miles in the rockies on my Z1000 and it did not meet up to comfort in any shape or form. I've also taken it through a two lane road through the sonara desert, same problem. The seat sucks, the engine vibrates like mad, and there is 0 storage.

Yes, I have had all types of mechanics look at the bike in the Phoenix area, but the dealership says that's how the bike rides and non-dealership places say there is nothing wrong.

Yes the seat sucks.

And yes, you can add storage, but you can add storage to any bike.
Yeah, vibration was the previous Z's biggest problem. A Bar Snake can help with the vibes, and an aftermarket seat can provide much better comfort. A 180mm rear tire makes it steer quicker and neutral-er. Suspension work (I had used Race Tech on a previous Z project) makes a dramatic improvement, esp a softer rear spring for lightweight riders like myself.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrock View Post
I had tried alll, but the Muti without all the electronics was my choice. I really liked the Z1000, but my wife grabed the money before I could blink. One question: on recent mag noted the z's tendency to tuck the front wheel in when you turn up the wick in corners......did you notice anything like that.
It depends how greedy you are with the throttle. The Z's strong torque and upright riding position transfers a lot of weight rearward when the throttle is twisted. An upright naked suffers somewhat when compared to a supersport's racier ergos because of the less amount of weight over the front wheel. Lap times at a racetrack may suffer, but the comfier ergos more than compensate for any performance deficit, especially on the street. The Multi also suffers slightly in this regard, feeling less planted when ridden aggressively at high speeds.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

This is THE comparo I have been waiting for. Great job, guys!

Love how you throw the Zed in there for comparative purposes. That give the poorer guys an option for sport touring. FWIW, I thought the Z1000 was an excellent addition to the comparo!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
kawasakikermit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yeah, vibration was the previous Z's biggest problem. A Bar Snake can help with the vibes, and an aftermarket seat can provide much better comfort. A 180mm rear tire makes it steer quicker and neutral-er. Suspension work (I had used Race Tech on a previous Z project) makes a dramatic improvement, esp a softer rear spring for lightweight riders like myself.
Wow... I wish i would have known this years ago. Was it a problem with the engine or the frame design? And with the new one how is the vibration problem?

Thanks for the information.

Last edited by kawasakikermit : 08-15-2010 at 07:12 PM.
kawasakikermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #25
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post

Love how you throw the Zed in there for comparative purposes. That give the poorer guys an option for sport touring. FWIW, I thought the Z1000 was an excellent addition to the comparo!
Oh, yeah... the video was awesome!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'd be curious to get 200+lb riders and 150lb passengers, 4 days luggage & turn some 800-1000 mile days, and see if the evaluations are much different. I know that would incur more cost, but I'll volunteer, LOL
Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #27
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Wow... I wish i would have known this years ago. Was it a problem with the engine or the frame design? And with the new one how is the vibration problem?

Thanks for the information.
The new Z's engine is a completely new It adds a secondary balance shaft from previous. The stressed-member engine now mounts to the frame in four rather than three mounting points, with a rubber mount above the transmission to further reduce vibration. Vibes are no longer an issue.

Regarding the previous-gen Z, you might find this article interesting: Project Z1000 Final Installment - Kawasaki Street Bike Project Bike - Motorcycle USA
Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post

Glad you liked it, Doc. We're here to please!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #29
kawasakikermit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The new Z's engine is a completely new It adds a secondary balance shaft from previous. The stressed-member engine now mounts to the frame in four rather than three mounting points, with a rubber mount above the transmission to further reduce vibration. Vibes are no longer an issue.

Regarding the previous-gen Z, you might find this article interesting: Project Z1000 Final Installment - Kawasaki Street Bike Project Bike - Motorcycle USA
Thanks and glade you did this article on touring and the z1000.
kawasakikermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #30
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Thanks and glade you did this article on touring and the z1000.
The new Z is a great bike. It won a shootout in Cycle World against the XR1200 and the MV Agusta Brutale.