Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Jim_W
Registered Member

You mentioned the idea of someone slapping some bags onto a repli-racer and going touring, but ignored your own premise for your choice of machines. The Z1000 was your idea of a stand-in, but the Z's riding position is very different from a Gixxer or R1. Riding a supersport from, say, LA to San Francisco (via PCH, please) would put rest to the idea of touring, sport or otherwise, as a desirable proposition.

BTW, the half-faired Suzuki Bandit 1250 or fully-faired GSX1250FA may have been a better choice than the Kawi.
Jim_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
bmwclay
Founding Member

How about the new XR1200X complete with factory windshield and bags, all for just a little more than the high strung Z1000. It seems to be made for the job, a basic, torquey motor, decent handling, comfortable ergonomics, and very little maintenance costs. I would pick that bike over the VFR, BMW GT and Concourse, etc; even if they were 5-10K cheaper. I can just see myself fighting with the dealer about my 'traction control' kicking in too early or paying 5 hours of labor to remove the plastics to adjust the ESA control unit. He's going to tell you it needs replacement anyway (12-1500 bucks) because he won't know how to fix it. I was also wondering about the $20,000 Multi Strada. What is the major service costs on that bike when you're making those 600.00 monthly payments? Do any of the electronic maps have a chain-adjustment mode? Guess what you'll be doing in the motel parking lot while everyone else is at dinner. Not bitter, just been there, done that.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
DonM
Founding Member

I had the pleasure once of riding in the company of the first sport touring bike, a 70's BMW R90S with a Samsonite suitcase over the passenger seat.
It had enough storage and power to make good time through sun and rain on the interstates and still be light enough to handle well. Alas, it too was expensive in its day.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Interesting article. Ducati really does have the V-Twin engine figured out. Very impressive power production. I like sporty V-Twins (prior bike was a TL1000) but the sound, feel and soul that made that bike enjoyable was offset by a comparative lack of power compared to bikes with more cylinders. Not the case with the Ducati.

Regardless of it's styling wrapper, the Z1000 is a motorcycle pure and simple. It has a great engine hanging out there for all to see, it does not have ABS, traction control, electronic suspension, etc. I like that about it. Frankly, I don't want that stuff in my car, much less on my bike.

My current ride is a nicely modded FZ1. I ride 400 mile days on it all the time. The small fairing is perfect. It blocks the wind to my adams apple and takes the edge off, but lets me experience the ride, with the helmet in clean air. I would like the Z with a similar small upper fairing.

The press has forgotten about the FZ1, it is old news. Pity nobody has taken this bike under their wing and posted a mod article on it. Add a 16T front sprocket, PCIII with the right map and an exhaust and you have a 145 to 150 hp comfy "standard" that freely revs like a turbine to 12,000 rpm that is capable of 90 mph wheelies (at least once for this rider - LOL) Sound fun?

Last edited by Duken4evr : 08-14-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
Pearmulti
Registered Member

Default Suspension adjustments?

Great article guys. I'm clamouring for every scrap as I wait for my 1200s touring.

I think you are off a bit with your comments on the adjustability of the 1200s suspenders. My understanding is you can fully adjust the factory pre set values for rear preload, and front and rear rebound, and compression as well as tc and throttle response settings. Preload in 16 increments and I think damping has 8 or 12 virtual clicks. I think it's even possible to independently setup the with passenger and with luggage modes for each preset. I think you wind up with 16 fully custom setups if you really dig into the menus. Guys have done spreadsheets over at ducati.ms. Other than electric front preload, I'm not sure what more you could ask for (I'd like a stiffer rear spring for 2 up if anyone is listening).

Thanks again for the great articles.

Last edited by Pearmulti : 08-14-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Pearmulti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiryu View Post
This article contains some major misinformation with regard to the capabilities of Ducati's electronic suspension system:

DES does not affect preload on the front, it only adjusts the rear. Front preload can still be adjusted on the Multistrada, but you have to break out the wrenches and do it manually. Perhaps you did so and neglected to mention it? If not, the slower turn-in response was either imagined or the result of something other than the front preload setting. I would guess that it was a result of the rear of the bike being slightly lower since the spring was more compressed.

This is true of BMW's ESA system, but for Ducati's DES it is completely false. DES allows you customize every individual parameter of each of the four main modes for each load condition. You can set compression and rebound to values from 1 to 32, and rear preload from 1-16. Apart from the suspension settings you can also change the engine map (150hp low, 150hp high, 100hp), and traction control (8 settings). ABS can also be disabled, but this must be done every time you start the bike. All other parameters are remembered across starts.

This long after the bike's launch, and with all the articles that have been written about it, I was really surprised to see an article come out that completely missed this feature. I hope you see fit to issue a correction so that your readers are not misinformed.
I did mention in my press launch article that individual parameters can be adjusted independently, but the text in this article snuck by the stupid editor (me). Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We'll have it fixed up on Monday morn.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Interesting article. Ducati really does have the V-Twin engine figured out. Very impressive power production. I like sporty V-Twins (prior bike was a TL1000) but the sound, feel and soul that made that bike enjoyable was offset by a comparative lack of power compared to bikes with more cylinders. Not the case with the Ducati.

Regardless of it's styling wrapper, the Z1000 is a motorcycle pure and simple. It has a great engine hanging out there for all to see, it does not have ABS, traction control, electronic suspension, etc. I like that about it. Frankly, I don't want that stuff in my car, much less on my bike.

My current ride is a nicely modded FZ1. I ride 400 mile days on it all the time. The small fairing is perfect. It blocks the wind to my adams apple and takes the edge off, but lets me experience the ride, with the helmet in clean air. I would like the Z with a similar small upper fairing.

The press has forgotten about the FZ1, it is old news. Pity nobody has taken this bike under their wing and posted a mod article on it. Add a 16T front sprocket, PCIII with the right map and an exhaust and you have a 145 to 150 hp comfy "standard" that freely revs like a turbine to 12,000 rpm that is capable of 90 mph wheelies (at least once for this rider - LOL) Sound fun?
Yes, it sounds like fun! Too bad Yamaha can't get your version past the EPA...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I bet there are some hidden horsies in the Z1000 as well. More important than top end numbers, I bet that new Z motor really gets sharp and responsive when uncorked and suitably richened up a bit in the EPA's testing rpm range. My bike went from a fluffy kitty to mean and nasty kitty with 12-14% fuel added in the right places via the PCIII.

Screw the EPA

Last edited by Duken4evr : 08-14-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #19
kawasakikermit
Registered Member

I see they used a 2010, and not 2006/7. Always good to be provided a bike that doesn't have problems like the earlier ones. I went 400 miles in the rockies on my Z1000 and it did not meet up to comfort in any shape or form. I've also taken it through a two lane road through the sonara desert, same problem. The seat sucks, the engine vibrates like mad, and there is 0 storage.

Yes, I have had all types of mechanics look at the bike in the Phoenix area, but the dealership says that's how the bike rides and non-dealership places say there is nothing wrong.

Yes the seat sucks.

And yes, you can add storage, but you can add storage to any bike.

Last edited by kawasakikermit : 08-15-2010 at 01:50 AM.
kawasakikermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
mrrock
Founding Member

I had tried alll, but the Muti without all the electronics was my choice. I really liked the Z1000, but my wife grabed the money before I could blink. One question: on recent mag noted the z's tendency to tuck the front wheel in when you turn up the wick in corners......did you notice anything like that.
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote