Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16041-2010-kawasaki-ninja-250r-review.html)

Administrator 08-11-2010 10:23 AM

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Review

Original Article:
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SpeedwayRN 08-11-2010 12:41 PM

.........I still don't know why Kawasaki thinks the USA folks won't pay for fuel injection.

Duken4evr 08-11-2010 07:50 PM

4 grand for a new Ninja 250 is a helluva deal really, when you look around and see what everything else costs. The SV650 is still the king of the bang for buck ratio, and they are silly fun to ride.

I made a comment in the Honda 125 article that it would be cool if Honda saw fit to give that bike a cylinder off the CBR600RR. It would be doubly fun to have a 15,000 rpm, 50hp Ninja 250 with 2 cylinders adapted from the ZX6. There is precedent for this you know. The EX/Ninja 500 engine is basically half a 1985 Ninja 1000 :)

I really don't mind that this bike wears carbs either. Once proper more tapered needles to richen the EPA mandated lean midrange and perhaps some smaller mains to trim the typically fat top end are installed I bet it runs great. There is something to be said for "analog" carbs. Typically they get better gas mileage and are creamy smooth once jetted right. If it had EFI, the owner would have to install a Power Commander to adjust it. I enjoy fiddling with the PCIII on my bike, but it cost $300, which is a lot more than a jet kit.

MOwings 08-11-2010 09:45 PM

Great review on the best beginner bike.

Having owned one of all 3 generations of 250 ninjas, I have to say there is no better beginner bike. So much more fun than a baby cruiser or a scooter. Thanks for the great writeup. Sadly the current generation is about 25 pounds heavier than the first two gens and they took the centerstand away. The bike still sounds like a sportbike, looks like a sportbike and definitely handles like a sport bike. I is still an awesome commuter and amazing back road scratcher. Another 10 HP and I might not want to trade up, but I am looking at the FZ8 or street triple or maybe even the new Tiger/Cub. The first two generations were published with 0-60 times of 5.75 seconds. The quickest I have seen for the current gen is 6.9. Still decent but the difference is enough to make the olders ones feel "quick" and the current gen just adequate. For a beginner though it's plenty. And it does make wonderful noises. I took my 2009 down to Laguna Seca and back two years ago and it did just fine. Imagine how good the 250 class could be if there were some competition and the 250s were updated every 2~4 years like their 600 and literbike brothers and sisters. I can dream. The 86~87 was still a magical bike. They should just bring it back.

Jeff Cobb 08-11-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOwings (Post 247466)
Having owned one of all 3 generations of 250 ninjas, I have to say there is no better beginner bike. So much more fun than a baby cruiser or a scooter. Thanks for the great writeup. Sadly the current generation is about 25 pounds heavier than the first two gens and they took the centerstand away. The bike still sounds like a sportbike, looks like a sportbike and definitely handles like a sport bike. I is still an awesome commuter and amazing back road scratcher. Another 10 HP and I might not want to trade up, but I am looking at the FZ8 or street triple or maybe even the new Tiger/Cub. The first two generations were published with 0-60 times of 5.75 seconds. The quickest I have seen for the current gen is 6.9. Still decent but the difference is enough to make the olders ones feel "quick" and the current gen just adequate. For a beginner though it's plenty. And it does make wonderful noises. I took my 2009 down to Laguna Seca and back two years ago and it did just fine. Imagine how good the 250 class could be if there were some competition and the 250s were updated every 2~4 years like their 600 and literbike brothers and sisters. I can dream. The 86~87 was still a magical bike. They should just bring it back.

Thank you. I hear you on all your points, and do agree competition from the Japanese OEMs would be good.

Duken4evr's ideas about a higher-tech improved Ninja also dovetail with this. Good thinking all around.

Kevin_Duke 08-12-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb (Post 247470)
Thank you. I hear you on all your points, and do agree competition from the Japanese OEMs would be good.

Duken4evr's ideas about a higher-tech improved Ninja also dovetail with this. Good thinking all around.

Yeah, a narrow and light 300cc parallel-Twin based off any 600 would be fun, and it might be seen as less girly than the Ninjette. Or a 450cc Twin cut down from the 675 Street Triple... :)

trenttheuncatchable 08-12-2010 09:02 AM

I used to think that owning one or two motorcycles was enough. But now it makes little sense to me to buy a bike, alter it to match my needs, and then sell it later just to have to make alterations to its replacement.

I sold my 2005 Ninja 250 to help pay for my 2006 Z750S (both bought used). I have since decided that I miss it enough to buy another in the near future. Even though I already own two other motorcycles. And even though I'll end up spending some more money on a jet kit, exhaust, windscreen, tires and brake lines. And possibly fork internals. It'll be a 2007- model, not the porkier 2008+ model.

I looked for a street bike with similar weight but more power, and the only possible options I could find were the KTM 690 SMC (305 lbs dry weight) and the Aprilia SXV (268 lbs dry weight).

fonzie 08-12-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN (Post 247442)
.........I still don't know why Kawasaki thinks the USA folks won't pay for fuel injection.

I think it's the other way around.... keeping it carbed, keeps it cheaper than the rest and more appearing to the price conscious buyer. if you must have a fuelie, they know you know you want the 600 and will your money to buy it :)

rfox 08-19-2010 06:27 PM

I used a friends '86 or 87 for my first license test(moved from Fla, and Mass did not recognize the license as no street test was required). 25 years later, my daughter gets her first street bike, an '09 250 in Candy Thunder Blue! Sweet bike! I was only allowed to ride it once...then I set the suspension for her 5'2'' 110lbs, which is significantly different than what I need- Beware! you who are over 225! If the bike is set up for a lighter rider, the rear tire will touch the inside the fender on rougher roads... or maybe it was those awesome backroad sweepers. Fortunately, I did not wear through the plastic, but as the rider of a heavyweight cruiser, I will say the cornering and ride on this little quarter liter was very impressive! My one differing opinion? For some(like my petite daughter) the 250R is (and likely will be) so much more than a simple "entry level bike". Whilst the other mfg's offer little cruisers, the Ninja 250R is the only offering that got more than sideways glance from this experienced trail rider. Interestingly, there were none offered in her M.S.F. street rider course; there were only Hon/Suz. cruisers in her sized bike.....

Kevin_Duke 08-20-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfox (Post 247904)
Interestingly, there were none offered in her M.S.F. street rider course; there were only Hon/Suz. cruisers in her sized bike.....

The full-size fairing that makes it so visually attractive also makes for a big negative in MSF use when bikes regularly get dropped. Best of luck to your daughter in her riding career.