Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Electric Motorcycle Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15997-2010-electric-motorcycle-shootout.html)

Administrator 08-04-2010 03:34 PM

2010 Electric Motorcycle Shootout

Original Article:
2010 Electric Motorcycle Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Electric Motorcycle Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 08-04-2010 04:10 PM

20 mile range if you are on the juice too hard? Man, that's unacceptable.

What would happen if you had a 4 HP EPA approved 2 stroke powering a 900 watt generator, that you could run either just off the batteries, the batteries and the generator, or just the generator-electric motor? That would seem more acceptable if you ask me. And that, along with a gallon of pre-mix the motor-generator would only weight about twenty lbs. (less the batteries).

And you wouldn't get stuck on 5th and Main when it's starting to get dark either...

Kevin_Duke 08-04-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 247075)
20 mile range if you are on the juice too hard? Man, that's unacceptable.

What would happen if you had a 4 HP EPA approved 2 stroke powering a 900 watt generator, that you could run either just off the batteries, the batteries and the generator, or just the generator-electric motor? That would seem more acceptable if you ask me. And that, along with a gallon of pre-mix the motor-generator would only weight about twenty lbs. (less the batteries).

And you wouldn't get stuck on 5th and Main when it's starting to get dark either...

This is only the beginning... Watch this space!

SpeedwayRN 08-04-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 247078)
This is only the beginning... Watch this space!

What is it that you know that we don't?

The_AirHawk 08-04-2010 11:35 PM

And how soon before these things, like the Tesla Roadster run out of Federal Subsidies and their Ponzi-scheme collapses?

Kenneth_Moore 08-05-2010 06:50 AM

Apparently styling wasn't a consideration; that Brammo is BFU. And all of these look pointless compared to a gas scooter.

Too bad you didn't get an Empulse to try.

spoonyfork 08-05-2010 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 247095)

Agreed. The concept of an all electric motorbike is appealing but the current under-ranged, under-powered, and under-styled offerings don't make me want to drop $10k. Wake me when I can test ride an Empulse.

Buzglyd 08-05-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 247095)
Apparently styling wasn't a consideration; that Brammo is BFU. And all of these look pointless compared to a gas scooter.

And what's with the stupid names?

THey could have picked something stylish and cool like VStrom.

skadamo 08-05-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 247098)
THey could have picked something stylish and cool like VStrom.

lmao.

Hey guys, great article. So what does Zero have planed? :D

I heard Agni is working on a more powerful motor. The bikes at Isle Of Man had what are rumored to be mount holes for it but it was not ready in time.

I rode the original Zero S and can't wait to ride the one with the Agni.

Thanks a lot for the Dyno comp too. Why no torque comp?

Jeff Cobb 08-05-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skadamo (Post 247107)
lmao.

Hey guys, great article. So what does Zero have planed? :D

I heard Agni is working on a more powerful motor. The bikes at Isle Of Man had what are rumored to be mount holes for it but it was not ready in time.

I rode the original Zero S and can't wait to ride the one with the Agni.

Thanks a lot for the Dyno comp too. Why no torque comp?

We're waiting to see about Zero. They say improvements are coming.

We may try to calculate torque next time. I just got off the phone with Bill Dube, of Killacycle fame (800 ft lbs, runs 7.8 quarters) and was asking him to help with getting a reliable formula together. Want to verify we can calculate torque accurately. It's more complicated because I don't yet know how to read motor rpm.