Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Well call me a techno ***** then, I just dont get it, never will, and dont want to:J But thats fine everyone has their own tastes and that I can respect specially when its a motorcycle. Besides Im just giving Seru some payback!
Seru smiles and nods as he surfs the bike ads seeing 30 year old Sportsters still selling for more than 5 year old literbikers.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The only part I laugh about is these bikes being portrated as beggineer bikes when it handles like a cement brick. I'd always feel so bad for the wives when they'd pull up at the shop riding a sportster as their first bike. It was mainly the husbands idea cause he rides one.
But a few falls and a couple test rides later she was converted.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-29-2010 at 11:21 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
The only part I laugh about is these bikes being portrated as beggineer bikes when it handles like a cement brick. I'd always feel so bad for the wives when they'd pull up at the shop riding a sportster as their first bike. It was mainly the husbands idea cause he rides one.
But a few falls and a couple test rides later she was converted.
Well, I see handling differently than you. I came up in an era where there were plenty of dangerously handling bikes. Bikes that would spit you off without warning. Tires that either stuck to the road or off you went. So my idea of a bad handling bike is a dangerous handling bike. There aren't any of those any more. A Sportster may be heavy and have too much rake to handle quickly, but it is stable and well mannered. It won't wobble and tank-slap like a ZX10 of not too many years ago.

Now if they could just knock 150lbs off of that danged Sportster. The 1970 Sportster weighed about 100 lbs less than the new one. So did the old Triumph Bonneville. Why do so many bikes have to get heavier?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #24
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Well I'll give ya that one. The only thing Iv been spit off due to "dangerous handling" is dirt bikes, which I try to avoid at all cost but something just keeps me coming back for more. It's deffinately an era thing I suppose. And although it seems the Sportster has stood the test of time -for some strange reason- the technology will always thrive and grow for the sport of racing. That technology as you know then trickles down to production which is a beautiful thing. You should feel lucky you grew up in the 2stroke era so don't give me any whining about ill handling bikes, they were the worst but the most fun!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #25
notabiker
Registered Member

what is good handling? i have been riding 40 years. lost count of how many bikes i have owned jap standards, jap sport bikes, 1200 sportster, and now a victory 8 ball. both the sporty and the 8 ball handle very well considering they are cruisers. if you want to canyon carve get a proper sport bike. i did just that. bought a Z 1000. so if i want to just cruise i take the 8 ball. the handling of most cruisers are pretty good.
notabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #26
Martin Twofeather
Registered Member

Default sporty low

Harley it's time to get real you need to change!Your begining to look bad not good and being buildt in India Mexico and China don't help your American image,in fact your losing it........Stock holder
Martin Twofeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

I like HDs. The bikes, not necessarily (sp?) the evil corporation.

I've had 2 Evo Sportsters, and they were, well, exactly as advertised. I loved them for what they were.

I don't have one now, but, if used prices continue, I'll build another Sportster project after I tire of what I have.

Not sure where Seru lives, but around here, used 30 yr old Sporties selling around the $3k mark. So are Evos. I guess theat's a bottom-out price. 5 year old liter bikes in good shape going for at least $5k.

YMMV. Just going by what's on CL.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I like HDs. The bikes, not necessarily (sp?) the evil corporation.

I've had 2 Evo Sportsters, and they were, well, exactly as advertised. I loved them for what they were.

I don't have one now, but, if used prices continue, I'll build another Sportster project after I tire of what I have.

Not sure where Seru lives, but around here, used 30 yr old Sporties selling around the $3k mark. So are Evos. I guess theat's a bottom-out price. 5 year old liter bikes in good shape going for at least $5k.

YMMV. Just going by what's on CL.
Alright... 7 year old liter bike then. All I know for sure is that a 30 year old literbike goes for jack shyt.

I love the sound of all those straight-cut gears whirring and making as much noise as the exhaust on the ironheads.

I'm seeing them around 3K locally. Few are stock, most chopped or kicked out and shyt like that. My idea of a Sportster is one more like a dirt tracker or desert sled or even cafe' style.

Cash is tight right now after spending 9 large cash for the Triumph. And I just got SWMBO an ATV plus some goodies. Sportster this winter! Prices aren't changing upwards any time soon I bet.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-01-2010 at 04:23 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm in the same boat, I'd love to pick one up but I really don't want to spend the money, I have normal bills and a 2nd from paying off my last divorce, I promised my two daughters I'd pay for driving school and buy them both cars, we have our Lake Chelan trip coming up and I just bought a set of vented color matched lowers for my bike for the winter......... quite a bit of money going out in a short time

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote