Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I ride around on the ugliest bikes I can find. I call it my "Kenneth Moore Fantasy."
I'll never forget that special time we had together here in Boca either. When, oh when, will you finally realize who and what you are, and get that divorce you promised me so long ago?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
bbtowns
Founding Member

At $21K for the GS, I'd take an $8K V-Strom and 1/2 the difference in price and create a hell of a DS/Adventure touring bike. The Multi would make an awesome adventure bike, street bike or track bike, but that front wheel is too small for serious off-road work. Both bikes need a new skid pan, though the multi more so. Getting nearly 90 hp out of that boxer is an achievement, but I'm guessing you'd get that multi up to 140 with a few tweaks.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I ride around on the ugliest bikes I can find. I call it my "Kenneth Moore Fantasy."
Bwhahahahaha!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
bmwclay
Founding Member

Talking GS vs Multi

Or try this: pick a nice low mileage (2000-2003) 1150 GS. There are plenty of garage queens out there with less than 25K on them. You can get a pristine one for around 4000.00. Spoon on some Twin Duros and bolt up some Ohlins.Put the 16000.00 you just saved from a new bike back in your pocket.
Your s*#t eating grin will never know the difference.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
Or try this: pick a nice low mileage (2000-2003) 1150 GS. There are plenty of garage queens out there with less than 25K on them. You can get a pristine one for around 4000.00. Spoon on some Twin Duros and bolt up some Ohlins.Put the 16000.00 you just saved from a new bike back in your pocket.
Your s*#t eating grin will never know the difference.
Now, you're talkin'!

The best/worst part about that article was the sidebox discussing the pricing of the GS line. $13,000 for a 800GS (standard package)?! What in the world are they smoking over there in Germany?! Is it THAT much better than my Ulysses I got for $10,500?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Overload
Founding Member

Dr Sprocket,
the new Honda NT700V is $11,000 with abs,the new VFR1200F is $16,000, and a new BMW F800ST is $13,000 w/ options. They all seem more expensive than I expected.

I was looking for a light weight, low seat, sport-tourer, and shopped these five. I ended up buying a 2000 Buell S3T Thunderbolt for under $3500. It doesn't have ABS, but it has 100hp, huge saddlebags, good wind protection, and great mileage. It may not have the refinement of the others, but it's enough for me.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #17
carlosdl
Registered Member

[quote=administrator;246277]Original Article:
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 vs. BMW R1200GS

There is one big missing question about the Ducati: Reliability? The BMWs are known for this attribute, it is very important for a bike like this. How reliable and how expensive is the maintenance are key decision criteria for an adventure machine. Too early to know, but I really would like to have feedback before making my decission. I am a current BMW owner, but love the Ducati concept and design.
carlosdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
12er
Founding Member

"...the Multi has gone a lot further down the electro-mechanical path than I'm interested in. Frankly, I think the bike is an enormous service bill just waiting to happen."

That thought was the one that made my dismount easier. After the flight check the rep took me through I really longed for a key instead of a fob and almost, almost a kickstarter...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #19
BiggerTwin
Founding Member

Another excellent review. Coming off an R1200RT, I found the R1200GS to feel very similar on the road. While I had to put a Remux exhaust on my RT so the bike didn't sound like a sewing machine, the new GS exhaust sounds great from the factory. The GS is one very impressive bike.

However, I only venture off road when the pavement ends unexpectedly and bought a Multistrada 1200s Sport model to replace the RT as my primary motorcycle. So far, I love it and consider it more of a fast and comfortable sport-tourer despite its adventure-touring styling.

Alan
BiggerTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I love the all these new bikes. But while the bikes are technologically better, I'm not sure if the tech offsets the cost (minus one clear exception: BMW's S1000RR).

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 07-25-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote