Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
bigtim6656
Registered Member

Default harley vrod

I was wondering what the general thoughts about the vrod more specific the vrod muscle was.

Would you recommend it for a newbi. I am leaning toward the harley and really thinking the vrod is the bike I want.

I am not a speed demon but like the look of it and power is never a bad thing. Also I am a big guy 482 6'5. Though I am loosing some weight and preparing for gastric bypass and will be dropping alot of that over the next 1 to 2 years.

I am going to take the beginner class offered by the college in the next town before getting the bike aswell.
bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

I wouldn't recommend any new bike for a beginning rider.

Start with a used bike, something that it won't bother you to get some dings and scratches on. Then after a year or more of experience, get what you want.

After you start riding regularly, your ideas about what you need in a motorcycle are likely to change.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The VROD has two things that are going to be challenging for you Tim:

The ergonomics are going to have all your weight right on your ass. Your feet and hands will be stretched way in front, and you won't be able to take any weight through your legs and arms. The stock seat is pretty narrow too.

Compared to the Big Twins mentioned in your other post, this is a much higher performance bike. Where a Fat Boy will have good low-end grunt and a managable power curve, the VR revs higher and has about 2x the horsepower. It's torque comes on later than the TC-88, which is not what you want given your body type.

Then again, if that's the only bike that will make it worth the effort for you...have at it! Better the wrong motorcycle than no motorcycle at all.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I love them myself, I think the Muscle is a massively cool bike. Not sure I'd want to learn to ride on one myself but I'm afraid your size does limit you somewhat. I'm not criticizing you, I'm pretty stout myself. The only problem with the Vrod as with any Harley is it's going to be spendy to repair if you drop it. The key is that you can repair it, unlike other brands with limited parts availability and support.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I realize your choices are limited but I wouldnt start on a vrod as your first bike. Get something cheaper and smaller, get used to the power and move up. Whats really matters is not your stats but your experience. Good luck Id look into a used cheap cruiser to start like
SGF mentioned. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

You really need to sit on a couple bikes to see which you fit on. At 6-5, you will be cramped on most bikes.

You'll also find that your weight will cause some real problems with some bikes. Their suspensions are not designed for that kind of load.

+1 on the used bike. Learn how to ride, and what you really want and don't want on a bike that you'll have for years on a 'cheap' training bike.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
feduke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentgrayfellow View Post
I wouldn't recommend any new bike for a beginning rider.

Start with a used bike, something that it won't bother you to get some dings and scratches on. Then after a year or more of experience, get what you want.

After you start riding regularly, your ideas about what you need in a motorcycle are likely to change.
AMEN!! That's about the best advice you could get, aside from getting the best shocks and front spring kit you can find for whatever you buy.
feduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
notabiker
Registered Member

i will never get past that UGLY radiator. ruins the whole look of the bike.
forget chumming up to the big twin boys. they disdain v rods and sportsters. will not even talk to you, been their and done that F em.
notabiker is offline   Reply With Quote