Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 1
Default 2011 Brammo Empulse Preview


Original Article:
2011 Brammo Empulse Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Brammo Empulse Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,490
Default

Well, it certainly LOOKS Promising. Yeah, I agree Jeff - it does look somewhat "Brutale-ish". Which is not a bad thing.

I'll continue to Hide and Watch, and see what shakes out.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Holy Crap Jeff, this looks like a REAL motorcycle! Awesome looks, 100/100 - mph/range. Are you going to get to ride one soon?

I can't wait to get home and read the article in detail tonight
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Holy Crap Jeff, this looks like a REAL motorcycle! Awesome looks, 100/100 - mph/range. Are you going to get to ride one soon?

I can't wait to get home and read the article in detail tonight
I asked Craig. He said -

Unfortunately we will only have one there, and need to build more for touring for fund raising and development so this one is a bit dear... so we can not risk it, but will get one ready asap for press.

Craig



I told him I understand. I could already tell the rider pictured (reportedly prod. designer, Brian Wismann), was not risking this one-off -- and I finished the article saying Job One was top speed testing (not to mention range). Oh well ...
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

I just tried to go to the Brammo website to see what the pre-order deal is. Figured I might as well get in line. Apparently their site is down! I wonder if they got slammed since the Empulse news broke.

What do you know about the tax-credits? IIRC, the Zero guys said their $10k bike was about $7,500 OTD with the credits.

Zero and the rest of them had better step it up, and do it quick! This bike just left them in the dirt based on looks alone, let alone the specifications.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I just tried to go to the Brammo website to see what the pre-order deal is. Figured I might as well get in line. Apparently their site is down! I wonder if they got slammed since the Empulse news broke.

What do you know about the tax-credits? IIRC, the Zero guys said their $10k bike was about $7,500 OTD with the credits.

Zero and the rest of them had better step it up, and do it quick! This bike just left them in the dirt based on looks alone, let alone the specifications.

I figured they might have website issues. That's why I did not write it was taking orders on its website (though they intend to).

As far as I know, if you're in Florida, you just get the 10% fed credit.

Maybe you should have a friend in Colorado buy it, and pay him for it.

(Legal disclaimer: just kidding!)

I think they get them for about half price once all is said and done.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

I expect to see Ken buying one of these marvels any day now.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Well, it certainly LOOKS Promising. Yeah, I agree Jeff - it does look somewhat "Brutale-ish". Which is not a bad thing.

I'll continue to Hide and Watch, and see what shakes out.


Yeah, that's what I'm doing too ...
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I expect to see Ken buying one of these marvels any day now.
If you ask nicely, I might even give you a ride!

Seriously, I think it would be fun to break into a whole new side of motorcycling. That's what really interests me about the E-Bikes. It's not about the oil/green thing, or any of the tree-hugger crap, at least not for me.

Of course, it would also be cool to come home from work and plug my commuter bike in. Even with the Mini, gas is a pretty big chunk of change, and I doubt the FPL bill will go up more than a fraction of the gas savings.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Default Empulse recharge time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If you ask nicely, I might even give you a ride!

Seriously, I think it would be fun to break into a whole new side of motorcycling. That's what really interests me about the E-Bikes. It's not about the oil/green thing, or any of the tree-hugger crap, at least not for me.

Of course, it would also be cool to come home from work and plug my commuter bike in. Even with the Mini, gas is a pretty big chunk of change, and I doubt the FPL bill will go up more than a fraction of the gas savings.

While you are spot-on about electricity costs, I should probably add something I did not find out from Craig until today -- the recharge time is longer for the Empulse than the Enertia using the stock on-board charger plugged into house current.

Craig says he's working on getting an "inexpensive" optional fast auxiliary charger to sell to customers – I believe possibly 220V – but for now, "it takes roughly 60 minutes per KwH with the onboard charger (110V)."

That means it could take overnight to recharge a drained Empulse. High voltage and the fast charger would be preferable at home, and access to an as-yet rare high voltage station away from home – or installed at a workplace, as applicable – would also be the way to go.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off