Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Brammo Empulse Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15814-2011-brammo-empulse-preview.html)

Administrator 07-15-2010 08:14 AM

2011 Brammo Empulse Preview

Original Article:
2011 Brammo Empulse Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Brammo Empulse Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 07-15-2010 08:29 AM

Well, it certainly LOOKS Promising. Yeah, I agree Jeff - it does look somewhat "Brutale-ish". Which is not a bad thing.

I'll continue to Hide and Watch, and see what shakes out.

Kenneth_Moore 07-15-2010 09:53 AM

Holy Crap Jeff, this looks like a REAL motorcycle! Awesome looks, 100/100 - mph/range. Are you going to get to ride one soon?

I can't wait to get home and read the article in detail tonight

Jeff Cobb 07-15-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 245700)
Holy Crap Jeff, this looks like a REAL motorcycle! Awesome looks, 100/100 - mph/range. Are you going to get to ride one soon?

I can't wait to get home and read the article in detail tonight

I asked Craig. He said -

Unfortunately we will only have one there, and need to build more for touring for fund raising and development so this one is a bit dear... so we can not risk it, but will get one ready asap for press.

Craig

I told him I understand. I could already tell the rider pictured (reportedly prod. designer, Brian Wismann), was not risking this one-off -- and I finished the article saying Job One was top speed testing (not to mention range). Oh well ...

Kenneth_Moore 07-15-2010 10:33 AM

I just tried to go to the Brammo website to see what the pre-order deal is. Figured I might as well get in line. Apparently their site is down! I wonder if they got slammed since the Empulse news broke.

What do you know about the tax-credits? IIRC, the Zero guys said their $10k bike was about $7,500 OTD with the credits.

Zero and the rest of them had better step it up, and do it quick! This bike just left them in the dirt based on looks alone, let alone the specifications.

Jeff Cobb 07-15-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 245703)
I just tried to go to the Brammo website to see what the pre-order deal is. Figured I might as well get in line. Apparently their site is down! I wonder if they got slammed since the Empulse news broke.

What do you know about the tax-credits? IIRC, the Zero guys said their $10k bike was about $7,500 OTD with the credits.

Zero and the rest of them had better step it up, and do it quick! This bike just left them in the dirt based on looks alone, let alone the specifications.

I figured they might have website issues. That's why I did not write it was taking orders on its website (though they intend to).

As far as I know, if you're in Florida, you just get the 10% fed credit.

Maybe you should have a friend in Colorado buy it, and pay him for it. ;-)

(Legal disclaimer: just kidding!)

I think they get them for about half price once all is said and done.

seruzawa 07-15-2010 11:31 AM

I expect to see Ken buying one of these marvels any day now.

Jeff Cobb 07-15-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 245691)
Well, it certainly LOOKS Promising. Yeah, I agree Jeff - it does look somewhat "Brutale-ish". Which is not a bad thing.

I'll continue to Hide and Watch, and see what shakes out.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing too ...

Kenneth_Moore 07-15-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 245719)
I expect to see Ken buying one of these marvels any day now.

If you ask nicely, I might even give you a ride!

Seriously, I think it would be fun to break into a whole new side of motorcycling. That's what really interests me about the E-Bikes. It's not about the oil/green thing, or any of the tree-hugger crap, at least not for me.

Of course, it would also be cool to come home from work and plug my commuter bike in. Even with the Mini, gas is a pretty big chunk of change, and I doubt the FPL bill will go up more than a fraction of the gas savings.

Jeff Cobb 07-15-2010 01:33 PM

Empulse recharge time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 245722)
If you ask nicely, I might even give you a ride!

Seriously, I think it would be fun to break into a whole new side of motorcycling. That's what really interests me about the E-Bikes. It's not about the oil/green thing, or any of the tree-hugger crap, at least not for me.

Of course, it would also be cool to come home from work and plug my commuter bike in. Even with the Mini, gas is a pretty big chunk of change, and I doubt the FPL bill will go up more than a fraction of the gas savings.

While you are spot-on about electricity costs, I should probably add something I did not find out from Craig until today -- the recharge time is longer for the Empulse than the Enertia using the stock on-board charger plugged into house current.

Craig says he's working on getting an "inexpensive" optional fast auxiliary charger to sell to customers – I believe possibly 220V – but for now, "it takes roughly 60 minutes per KwH with the onboard charger (110V)."

That means it could take overnight to recharge a drained Empulse. High voltage and the fast charger would be preferable at home, and access to an as-yet rare high voltage station away from home – or installed at a workplace, as applicable – would also be the way to go.