Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #61
shalbleib
Founding Member

well making a bike look like a bike was the first big step! it'll be interesting to see the final version and specs. a simple commuter would be cool. not $10-13k cool though!
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
That has nothing to do with the point I was making. Allow me to spell it out:

No technology arrives fully developed. Every new technology of any significance requires a ramp-up time for infrastructure and widespread end-user adoption. Prices will be initially high, then drop dramatically as volume reduces the cost of production.

E-Bikes will follow the same pattern cars, fax machines, airplanes, and PCs did.
All those things had consumer demand Kenneth. None of those were mandated or subsidized by idiots in Washington.

Your example is one of pure capitalism at work. I commend you!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #63
Voyager
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalbleib View Post
well making a bike look like a bike was the first big step!
I think making it 'look like a bike' is a big mistake.

Motorised bicycles are not very efficient vehicles and if you want them as overpriced toys, they already exist and it is unlikely that an EV version is going to out perform what they currently offer.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #64
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Brammo has added a lot of details on the Empulse since this article was published.

BRAMMO Enertia powercycle : 100% Electric Motorcycle : Learn
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #65
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Mr. Cobb:

Have you heard anything lately from Brammo on the Empulse? I was hoping they might have a diplay bike at Daytona, or even some demo bikes.

They've been pretty quiet lately, I hope it's because they're busy manufacturing bikes, or at least finalizing the engineering and designs.

Thanks.
MtD

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #66
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Mr. Cobb:

Have you heard anything lately from Brammo on the Empulse? I was hoping they might have a diplay bike at Daytona, or even some demo bikes.

They've been pretty quiet lately, I hope it's because they're busy manufacturing bikes, or at least finalizing the engineering and designs.

Thanks.
MtD

Mr. Destroyer:

No mention one way or the other about Daytona. Would not put it past them to at least have some presence. Doubt they will copy Zero and roll out a demo fleet for people to have a free carnival ride on.

Brammo says they sent a November newsletter out to prospective owners. Did you get it? If not, contact them for a copy.

Timing of Empulse release is undisclosed. A dilemma they face is they are constantly coming up with more innovations, and sooner or later have to freeze the design and put it into that long-anticipated production.

I think the need to stop the innovation, and go into production has something to do with making income to help pay back all that VC money helping keep the company afloat. This, by the way, is true for all e-bike manufacturers. They all are in their infancy, and doing all they can to overcome hurdles, and learn to become more like real motorcycle manufacturers.

Of all of them, Brammo has impressed me the most with its promised performance for dollar. (Whether detractors think it's still worth it, I know, not all do. But remember the back end savings. It can work for some people).

I have no reason to believe Brammo will not release the Empulse and Enertia Plus, but this is all I know at present. I'd bet within a few months, but that's only a guess.

J
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #67
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Thanks for the update Jeff. You're right; they do need to freeze and build sooner than later. They've already missed a lot of intertia from their big media splash last year. Now they're going to have to do it all over again.

Recent events in Egypt have me wishing I had an all-electric something or other in the garage. If those idiots close the Suez, we all will.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #68
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Thanks for the update Jeff. You're right; they do need to freeze and build sooner than later. They've already missed a lot of intertia from their big media splash last year. Now they're going to have to do it all over again.

Recent events in Egypt have me wishing I had an all-electric something or other in the garage. If those idiots close the Suez, we all will.
Closing the Suez will wreak havoc with trade, for sure; but the Black Gold all goes around the Cape.

The super-tankers (VLCCs and ULCCs) don't fit in the ditch.

Aircraft carriers are a tight-enough squeeze, and we had less than half the draft of the biggest tankers (which can be up to 80 feet!).

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #69
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Closing the Suez will wreak havoc with trade, for sure; but the Black Gold all goes around the Cape.

Aircraft carriers are a tight-enough squeeze, and we had less than half the draft of the biggest tankers (which can be up to 80 feet!).
Silly Rabbit! Oil is lighter than water! Those tankers should just sort of "skim" across the surface........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #70
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

Well, maybe a lot of it goes around the Cape, but a lot also goes through the Suez, both on ships and via pipeline. See paragraph 3:

Oil hovers below $88 as Suez Canal concerns wane

Its.......A FACT!