Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
bigtim6656
Registered Member

Default buying a bike and need some advice

Ok first I will give my size and riding history or lack of.
I am a big guy 6'5'' 482 pounds though not the normal fat guy you see on the scooter. I like like I weigh 375to400 due to my height.
When I was 13 I was 5'10 and 250 pounds yes a big boy. I asked dad for a mini bike or moped and got a 1985 oddly my birth year Honda 450. It was the one with the auto shift setup no clutch just the shifter by the left foot.
The only clutch bike I have ever been on are dirt bikes last time I had one I tended to get it rolling then pop the clutch as when I let the clutch out I had a habit of popping a wheely and dumping the bike
I did not have the dirt bike very long so next got the hang of the clutch.

I am now looking for a bike ever since I got grew the Honda and traded it for a jetski I have wanted another. Last year I was thinking a new Honda shadow 750. Figured it would make a good starter bike and their not to high priced. We went to Florida for vacation and it was either weight or buy a bike 5 to 10 years old so I opted to wait.

I now have it all planned out and will be picking up a bike late dec or feb depending on which bike I choose of course the 8000 for the shadow makes for a easier time saving the cash vs the 17000 for a Harley vrod which would put me at feb.

Ok now for my riding plans and location.
I live in southwest Indiana where curvy, hilly, roads are king. What the bike for cruising around indiana and some interstate riding. No plan to ride out to California for the heck of it. If I did I would probably trailer the bike then ride it here and there. I am not a speed demon I am happy going 60 or 70 and not getting a weekly ticket for hitting 100mph.
Longest trips will likely be 100 to 200 miles max mainly short trips around home and to school(college student).
I thought about the sportster and my dad thought it would make a good starter bike but for my size I am worried about out growing it quickly.
I am leaning toward the following. Put feel free to recommend something else. I am leaning toward getting the Harley and waiting till feb to do so not like there will be much riding in Dec or Jan anyway.

This list is in the order I am leaning
Harley vrod muscle (concern about the bike leaning me to far forward like a crotch rocket.
Harley fat boy
harley fatboy lo
Honda shadow 750
I would be happy with about any of the harley dyna, softtail, or the vrods bikes. I am easy to please when I see what I like

Also I have had a few people tell me to avoid the shadow for my size as I will not fit it right. I sat on it at the local dealer 8 months ago seem ok expect for my legs. I was also told to avoid harleys because their not good start bikes. I was told as they are touchy with how you service and take care of them I AM ANAL ABOUT SERVICE ON ANY THING I OWN.
Again if you recommend another bike feel free to let me know.
bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I think the first place to start is by looking at the manufacturers' specs. Many bikes have a 450lb. weight limit (rider and gear). I'm not sure if the mfg recommendations are a strict rule, or merely a suggestion.

Harleys are not typically considered good first bikes, but given your size and need for space, they might be the best option for your. Let's wait and see if 12er chimes in on this thread. He's one of our local "big boys".
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
bigtim6656
Registered Member

Ya the weight limit worried me. Though I had not really looked yet. Guess I should have said this to. I am in the process of getting gastric bypass and looking at it being done by mid sept. My hope is by feb I will be down 50 or so pounds and headed to 400. By the summer when riding season really kicks in I should be a far amount closer or under 400.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I think the first place to start is by looking at the manufacturers' specs. Many bikes have a 450lb. weight limit (rider and gear). I'm not sure if the mfg recommendations are a strict rule, or merely a suggestion.

Harleys are not typically considered good first bikes, but given your size and need for space, they might be the best option for your. Let's wait and see if 12er chimes in on this thread. He's one of our local "big boys".
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Have you taken the MSF course yet? That should be your first step. Only thing is, you'd better tell them your weight, because a little 250cc bike isn't going to cut it for you. Also, make sure your first bike is used, not new. Consider buying a new bike only after you've got at least a year's riding experience under your belt.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Although it's not usually a good first-bike choice, the HD Big Twin models may be an exception for you.

Harley Twin Cams have huge, heavy flywheels that give a lot of startup power. They also have over-built clutches that can take a lot of abuse. I've known a couple of enormous guys who rode Harleys, and they seem to hold up to the load.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I've known a couple of enormous guys who rode Harleys, and they seem to hold up to the load.
I've seen a few of these myself. Most of the time, in fact. Well, maybe not "enormous", but those huge beer bellies sure aren't in the minority where Harleys are concerned.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

My pal Mark was over 400 for a while before he died of heart failure. He had an Ironhead and rode the wheels off it.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
bigtim6656
Registered Member

I found a beginners class not to far from home it is at one of the colleges in the next town and in fact the one I will be going to fall 2011. 75 bucks so not like it is outrageous either. I will call and see when they are doing it and bring up my weight.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
12er
Founding Member

chimin' in. Sounds like load limits and suspension are going to be an issue. I'm almost thinking a BMW R1100 - 1200R may be a good option. At 6'5 them low seat heights suck, my 6'6 36 inch inseam does not like cruisers one bit. The beemers come with the quick dial preload adjusters on the rear. I cranked mine to max day one and never looked back. Also the boxers are mellow on their power delivery but can get up and scoot. So due to your size I'd consider one. They can be picked up used rather reasonable and you can add anything to them, sargent seats rock for the BMW's, love mine and my wife is even more happy with it than I. Your about what I am with my wife on back and I dont bottom out or wallow fully loaded. Though after 40k miles I'm due for new shocks. Check them out and see what you think, About a grand you can get shocks built for your size. So used R1100r plus a grand should still come in under or around a new honda after tax lic and doc fee.

Last edited by 12er : 07-15-2010 at 02:54 PM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
chimin' in. Sounds like load limits and suspension are going to be an issue. I'm almost thinking a BMW R1100 - 1200R may be a good option. At 6'5 them low seat heights suck, my 6'6 36 inch inseam does not like cruisers one bit. The beemers come with the quick dial preload adjusters on the rear. I cranked mine to max day one and never looked back. Also the boxers are mellow on their power delivery but can get up and scoot. So due to your size I'd consider one. They can be picked up used rather reasonable and you can add anything to them, sargent seats rock for the BMW's, love mine and my wife is even more happy with it than I. Your about what I am with my wife on back and I dont bottom out or wallow fully loaded. Though after 40k miles I'm due for new shocks. Check them out and see what you think, About a grand you can get shocks built for your size. So used R1100r plus a grand should still come in under or around a new honda after tax lic and doc fee.
As always, excellent advice!