Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Choosing Your First Motorcycle - A Beginner's Guide (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15811-choosing-your-first-motorcycle-beginners-guide.html)

Administrator 07-14-2010 04:15 PM

Choosing Your First Motorcycle - A Beginner's Guide

Original Article:
Choosing Your First Motorcycle - A Beginner's Guide

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Choosing Your First Motorcycle - A Beginner's Guide in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 07-14-2010 04:23 PM

Excellent read. I would say that the Moto Guzzi V7 should be included in there, but otherwise it's spot on.

Personally, I am a believer in the tiered licensing system and believe that at the very least EVERY state should implement mandatory MSF courses for newbies.

ejis 07-14-2010 06:20 PM

Wait, so a Boss Hoss isn't a good started bike?

The_AirHawk 07-14-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejis (Post 245661)
Wait, so a Boss Hoss isn't a good started bike?

Blasphemers! WTF-bomb's WRONG with MotoJournos these days?

Dr_Sprocket 07-14-2010 08:21 PM

Ssensible list with options for nearly every rider type/size. Now, can put this one to bed?

Kenneth_Moore 07-15-2010 07:16 AM

Nice work Pete. I like your choice of the TU 250 and the Wee. You can add engine guards to the Wee for about $120, making it completely crash proof. I imagine a similar accessory crash bar is available for the TU.

The FZ though...a lot of plastic to fix if that one drops. The 883 Low is de-facto a popular starter bike, but damn, it's a heavy beast.

KLR as a starter bike? 6' and up only, please!

spoonyfork 07-15-2010 07:38 AM

The snooty BMW owner

Great article, then there was this gem:
Quote:

Then there’s the intangible of acting upscale and snooty while zipping around on a BMW as your first bike...
I was going to complain that the snooty BMW owner is a myth perpetuated by non-BMW owners but my comment came across as VERY snooty. So point taken. :p

trenttheuncatchable 07-15-2010 07:56 AM

The list beats the idea of getting a 600 supersport as a first bike, but the lack of a Ninja 250/500 on the list is very strange indeed.

The_AirHawk 07-15-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 245679)
Nice work Pete. I like your choice of the TU 250 and the Wee. You can add engine guards to the Wee for about $120, making it completely crash proof. I imagine a similar accessory crash bar is available for the TU.

The FZ though...a lot of plastic to fix if that one drops. The 883 Low is de-facto a popular starter bike, but damn, it's a heavy beast.

KLR as a starter bike? 6' and up only, please!

Were you watching me via webcam while I was reading this? This is nearly the exact-thing I said (except for the crash-guard comments)......

Officially, I'm creeped-out.

lwatcdr 07-15-2010 10:37 AM

I would like to second the suggestion to add the Ninja 250 and 500. The Kawasaki dealer in Lake Wales Florida is offering both the 250 and the 500 for... $2999!
They also have the Vulcan 500 for the same price as well as the TW200 from Yamaha.
The FZ6R I don't know about as a first bike. Second yes but that is just me.
Frankly if you get a new Ninja 500, 250, or Vulcan 500 for $2999 I say that wins :)