Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Personally, I am a believer in the tiered licensing system and believe that at the very least EVERY state should implement mandatory MSF courses for newbies.
Like Smokey Robinson, I second that emotion.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Were you watching me via webcam while I was reading this? This is nearly the exact-thing I said (except for the crash-guard comments)......

Officially, I'm creeped-out.
No, of course not. But, if you want to open a couple more buttons on your shirt, please, go right ahead.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Msf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Like Smokey Robinson, I second that emotion.
I would also have to agree.
Way to many people buy a 600 super sport for their first bike.
Or what is worse a 1000cc Super Sport.
Heck for some of the 1000cc bikes you should have to have a pilots license!
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Rforre
Founding Member

Is the TU 250 available yet in California?
Rforre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

Good list from those who have rode them all. We can add what abouts all day long but I'd say you guys covered it well, from tall to short, cruise to adventure.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Overload
Founding Member

I finally got to test a TU250, and came away impressed and disappointed at the same time. I am impressed with the smoothness of the bike- from the fuel injection, to the ride, which feels slower than it's actually going. Disappointed as the bike it >< this close to being a 'real' motorcycle- one that can do everything you'd ask of it. It's the perfect 'below highway speed' bike, but doesn't have the top speed or range to go out of town. It just needs a little more power.
I've owned both the Buell Blast and the Ninja 500 (both discontinued), and they both have that 'bit more' that makes them 'real' motorcycles. I owned a street legal YZ426, and while it had the power, it didn't have the manners or range to be a 'real' bike.
I currently have an EVTA electric scooter that does 40mph and an old 86 Honda TLR200 (street legal trials bike), both for around town use. I'd buy a TU250 for this task if I didn't have the others, and may still. But, I wouldn't have it as my only motorcycle.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #17
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Wink Good commentary, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overload View Post
It's the perfect 'below highway speed' bike, but doesn't have the top speed or range to go out of town. It just needs a little more power.
I've owned both the Buell Blast and the Ninja 500 (both discontinued), and they both have that 'bit more' that makes them 'real' motorcycles.
Overload,

I can appreciate your need to own a bike more capable of distances and/or higher speeds, but note that I pointed out the TU will get up to speeds to at least keep with pace with most freeway travelers (note, too, I'm a SoCal rider, where the freeways are often treacherous!).

Will the TU's throttle be wrapped out? Yep. But it's doable, just not very enjoyable.

And I agree with you the Blast and Ninja 500 have a "bit more," but they should, as they both have/had twice the engine capacity of the TU.

Seems like you've a pretty good impression of the TU, as do I.

But to further clarify my pov, I guess I don't have great expectations of engine performance from a 250cc street-going motorcycle. If it gets up to speed at a decent rate and is smooth within reason for its engine configuration, I'm content. If it does more than that, I'm impressed.

For example, the Ninja 250 has a racy lil' mill, but since Kawi chose to retain carbs rather than EFI, it's quite wheezy off the bottom thanks to emissions standards, etc.

The TU's engine on the other hand pulls in linear pattern all the way to its cute little top end. But it's not the quickest thing on two wheels.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
Overload
Founding Member

Pete, I was trying to think like a beginner buying their first bike. We've all heard about H-D Sportster buyers quickly upgrading to a big twin. I just think that a first bike should allow the owner to experience the full gamut of what motorcycing offers. Many first time buyers have a reletive or friend with a bike, and riding with them is one of the best experiences (both riding and social) they can get. I want them to be able to do that.

Out in Colorado, our freeway speed limit is 75mph. What is the top speed of the TU-250?

Of course, not mentioned in the article is that a first time rider is better served by buying a used motorcycle. My first bike was a '74 Kawasaki Z1 (bought in 1991). That bike took some low speed tips, gravel low sides, and other abuse I would have felt bad (and be expensive) doing on a new bike.

How about a followup article on the best used beginner's bikes?
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:

How about a followup article on the best used beginner's bikes?
Would they be different than the best new beginner bikes? You'd still want the same parameters of power, easy handling etc., wouldn't you?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
Chango
Founding Member

Quote:
...It's the perfect 'below highway speed' bike, but doesn't have the top speed or range to go out of town. It just needs a little more power...
I traded in my 2008 R6S for a TU250 a few months ago and I really have no real complaints. Obviously I miss those 85 rwhp I gave up, but I absolutely do not miss the tire bill or the (premium) fuel bill I got from commuting 70 miles per day 6 days per week on a 600 supersport.

I also wonder what you mean by "range." The TU will go 250 miles on a tank if you're not in a hurry, and I've never had to fill it up before 200 miles, even when I take it on the interstate (70 mph speed limit) for a full tank. No, the bike isn't terribly happy about it, and it takes a while to gain speed above 65, but it does it. I've gotten it to read 80 mph on flat ground, 87 going down hill, though a stiff head wind or hill will slow it down noticeably.

My only "gripe" about the TU is that it is just a smidge too small for me for longer trips. I'm 6'1" and I just don't have much room for wiggling around, especially with my wife on the back. Then again, we bought this bike specifically to cut the fuel/tire bill and so I could teach my wife to ride, and it is fulfilling those missions even better than we hoped it would.