Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
RaggittyAnne08
Registered Member

Default Tall Rider & Ducati Monster

Hey guys, thinking of picking up a 1999 Ducati Monster 750. Has around 26,000 miles with only a dent in the gas tank. Guy is askin $2500.

My problem is i'm 6'2 and weigh around 200 lbs. Would i look completely ridiculous on a Ducati or would i do alright? I've also heard that the gas tanks are cut different in the 1999 models so knee space is a little different. Anybody have experience with being tall and riding a Ducati?
RaggittyAnne08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's not the size of the bike. I'm heavier than you and only 2in shorter. And I'd ride it. It's the maintenance records that are important. Valve adjustments must be done every 5k on those models. Expensive unless you can do it yourself. Additionally, have you put your feet on the pegs? They are tiny and will hurt if you have wide feet. Is the replacement of those for a wider set worth it? Seriously, a 2001-2003 SV650 is a better buy. You know you can find a perfectly good TL1000 for the same price or even a Honda SuperHawk. Think I'd choose the Honda based on maitenance and ease of getting parts. A 2001 or up is a great value for around $3k.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
RaggittyAnne08
Registered Member

How much would a valve adjustment run do you think? The seller says it's due for one.

Why are parts so expensive for Ducati's? Because they're made in Italy?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

about $400 or so if your local Duc Shop isn't charging a Ben per hr labor. Not Cheap.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggittyAnne08 View Post
How much would a valve adjustment run do you think? The seller says it's due for one.

Depends on the Dealer, and how seriously he wants to shaft you. $85/hr labor minimum, plus every shoprag, squirt of hand-cleaner, drop of loctite, etc.

I've been told that with a little-bit of training;a 2-valve Duc can be done in the garage by most-any mechanically-inclined person in just a few hours. The 3-valves require a bit-more time and know-how and a couple of special tools - and the 4-valves require engine-removal, a toolbox-full of special tools, and you'd better pack a Lunch........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggittyAnne08 View Post
It's because they can.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

I wouldn't say that they are expensive based on production cost. It's an exchange rate thing with the Euro that boggs doem the price. Where do you live Raggity?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
RaggittyAnne08
Registered Member

I'm located in the US

Only 1 Ducati dealer in the entire state so i might call my local shop to see if they even work on Ducati's before i think about getting one.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

SuperHawk is calling your name, buddy. That Duc might sound wonderful, but unless you plan on learning the finer points of Duc Maitenance I wouldn't think it's a wise buy. But that's just me. And that's coming from a BMW/Kawasaki/Yamaha guy.