Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #41
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Me mate at work (He owns 4 Beemers, SprintST, Street Triple, Breva1100) and I were discussing that test ride thingie a couple of days ago. Let's say someone has 20K to spend on a new bike. He can get rides on BMWs, Triumphs, Ducks, Guzzies, HDs.... but the Jap dealers refuse.

Would you spend nearly $20K on a bike you couldn't test ride? I wouldn't. I'll bet that the other companies thank God every night that the Japanese dealers seldom (never?) provide test rides. It's one thing to buy a Ninja650 w/o a test ride. But a big ticket VFR?

There's a new VFR gathering dust at Perry Bros Honda for the last 2 months while the BMWs are flying out of the dealer two blocks from my house. Coincidence?
Agreed, however I would deffinately give a test ride to anyone that was serious enough to buy specially that day. And the way I would handle it is like this. Sir as long as you contract the bike meaning you buy it you can take it down the road for 25miles and if you dont like it
bring it back and we'll tear up all the paper work. I know you are right generally speaking non of the dealers do let you test ride. But look at the clientele your dealing with 18yr olds that want nothing but the Busa for their first bike:O

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #42
Voyager
Registered Member

Quote:
So then WTF are you doing here? If your intention is to just spread hate and discontent because you consider all current motorcycles to be junk then you are in the wrong place..
1. I'm not 'spreading hate' - I'm offering alternative ideas to problems that I've seen to exist.
2. I wasn't the one that asked ' So, Where Are We Going' - that was you. The same who that thinks we've '...achieved a level of technology that is going to be difficult to improve on'
Quote:
I doubt anyone will recognize you as a Motorcycle Messiah or Prophet.
Why should I care? I'm not pretending to be.

I am answering the questions I've been asked though - and I notice that you are STILL avoiding explaining why you think BMW are 'failures' with their ranges of non-steered suspension front ends.....

It is interesting to see that many of you think the next level of motorcycle nirvana can be reached by getting 'test-rides' though. Dealers offering test bikes is not unusual over here, I'm sure they would certainly loose a great deal of sales to those who offered them if they chose not to. The importers generally have a range of bikes that they truck around the country for promotion days with their bigger dealers as well.

I've never found it that hard to get a test ride on the bike(s) I might be interested in anyway.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #43
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

To be perfectly honest I really think you'd be better off in a Fiesta or Smart Car. I personally consider modern bikes to be astonishingly competent, granted I have an axe to grind with Japanese Cruiser styles but for the most part I find motorcycles to be an economical, useful, practical and fun way of getting around. If I didn't feel that way I assure you I wouldn't be riding one.

I assume your intention is to generate some dialog and sway everyone to your way of thinking....you're probably out of luck but do feel free to try.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #44
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The next level of motorcycle will have a Mk.II .50 BMG mounted somewhere in the chassis, with an automatic targeting system that is heat seaking, and searches out a temp rage of 98.6 degrees.

It is automatically activated when any large chunk of metal with four wheels comes into a pre-set "danger zone" and automatically fires an explosive round into the heat source, and then activates an Martin Baker ejection seat along with an NES4B parachute to remove the motorcycle operator from the "danger zone".
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #45
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You can test ride Japanese bikes, but you have to go out of your way (like Bike Week) to do so.

Voyager, you're stereotyping riders. Sure there's too many chrome obsessed boneheads riding with drag pipes. And there's way too many stuntas pissing off the motoring public and the cops. But, IMO, they represent only 1% of the motorcycling public. In fact, we should call them "One-Percenters."
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #46
A Star Ride
Registered Member

1% ers? where'd you come up with that Ken? LOL was it 1950-something Sturgis?

I don't wear pins or patches, not even my club logos, but if I did, I'd want a 99% white & red diamond.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #47
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Those darn 1 placentas....nothing but trouble I hear...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #48
SDRider
Registered Member

You guys are altogether too pedestrian.

The future of motorcycling is in the sprouting of wings, easily removable and collapsible, and the ability of a rider to become an AVIATOR with gentle backpressure on the ..... hmmm, OK so there's the little matter of vertical/horizontal stabilizers to deal with. That's what engineers are for.

It's been done for the cage-people (airworthiness certified), so what are we waiting for?

Don't forget, for both modes of transport ......... no sideways force (perfect balance, neutral G) when cornering, unlike those ugly ungainly boxes. The feeling of leaning over hard at speed is much like doing a 60 degree level turn around a point at altitude. Why not in the same conveyance?

('chute comes standard)

Last edited by SDRider : 07-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #49
Voyager
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
To be perfectly honest I really think you'd be better off in a Fiesta or Smart Car.
That might suit you but that would not be my answer to 'So, where are we going?'
Quote:
I personally consider modern bikes to be astonishingly competent, granted I have an axe to grind with Japanese Cruiser styles but for the most part I find motorcycles to be an economical, useful, practical and fun way of getting around. If I didn't feel that way I assure you I wouldn't be riding one.
Do you mean 'economical, useful, practical and fun way of getting around' by 'competent?' - because the small cars you have listed above will beat even mid-sized motorcycles for fuel economy and the ability to carry stuff. So motorcycles are not that competent are they?

What is 'wrong' with Japanese cruisers in your eyes? I guess that once you can work that out you should be able to tell way I can find reasons to dismiss other types of motorised bicycle.
Quote:
I assume your intention is to generate some dialog and sway everyone to your way of thinking....you're probably out of luck but do feel free to try.
That's right, you're not interested. That is why you have bothered to explain yourself.....
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #50
Voyager
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Voyager, you're stereotyping riders. Sure there's too many chrome obsessed boneheads riding with drag pipes. And there's way too many stuntas pissing off the motoring public and the cops. But, IMO, they represent only 1% of the motorcycling public. In fact, we should call them "One-Percenters."
You seem to be mixing up the bikes with the riders again.

Do you really think loud pipe v-twins and hooning about sports bikes are only 1% of the bikes out there? Things must have changed dramatically since I was in the US last if that is the case.