Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
It used to be not too long ago that someone with an average mechanical aptitude could buy a new car with the expectation that he would never have to see a dealer again. Today that is an impossibility. I'm wondering how much of that idea is driving the push for more electronics on bikes. The heavy electronics will tie the owners to the dealers.

As far as ignition and fuel systems I don't think there's much choice. Tighter emission requirements demand more precise control than mechanical systems alone can provide. Electronic controls help ABS and traction control systems function, while they're not a necessity it's darn handy to have in a pinch.

For the rest of it though I agree, for the most part it's gadgetry for gadgetry's sake that requires more expensive gadgets to diagnose when it acts up, since the average owner isn't going to pony up for an expensive tool he or she will probably never use you're pretty well tied to a dealer. I can certainly live without it.

It's funny because one of the selling points of the Electraglide over an R1200RT or K1300GT was the Harley's perceived simplicity.........purely an illusion! there's just as much electronics on the Harley's EFI/TBW/ABS as the BMW though admittedly the BMW's have more gee-whiz features.

I'm afraid to get away from it we have to go back to riding airhead Beemers, pre '78 Shovelheads & Sporties, Meridan Triumphs and MotoGuzzi LeMans.......Not a bad idea really, even though riding is a whole lot easier now!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-10-2010 at 06:51 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

I spent considerable time on a new Speed Triple today and my thought was, we don't really need to go anywhere. Anything added to these kind of bikes is superfluous to me. It kinda turned my world on end. Smooth, builds speed incredibly fast, everything works very well. Done and done. I need money, not more options.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
pplassm
Founding Member

I'm tempted to say that I don't like the increasing technical complexity of motorcycles. Then, I look in my garage. I've got power-valved, electric start dirt bikes, and fuel injected, aluminum framed streetbikes.

I guess, as long as they work, I am fine with them.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Bikes should come with options. Like computers. I should be able to order a particular model bike, and choose the engine, suspension, tires and accessories I want. Then pick it up at the dealer when it's ready.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Bikes should come with options. Like computers. I should be able to order a particular model bike, and choose the engine, suspension, tires and accessories I want. Then pick it up at the dealer when it's ready.

Why you're in luck, they already do that! They're called "Harley-Davidsons"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Actually I'm beginning to think that the greatest advance the Japanese could provide would be test rides.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Optimistic

I can't say for sure but I can't help being optimistic about the current and possible future offerings out there. The market is competitive and some major OEM,s are listening. I have always been a traditionalist and am sure at this point I will never be able to duplicate the pure happiness of riding my CL175 (first street bike)down a local country road with no traffic.A bike that had virtually no bells and whistles.The new technology and modern materials will only enhance the riding experience. I look forward to my next bike that I'm sure will have some of the newer features.Hopefully we will be able to have more of an option choice on certain models.Being able to configure a bike from the factory along with test rides go a long way when making a buy decision. For me anyway.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Actually I'm beginning to think that the greatest advance the Japanese could provide would be test rides.
You always have the most insightful comments, Seru.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
You always have the most insightful comments, Seru.
Me mate at work (He owns 4 Beemers, SprintST, Street Triple, Breva1100) and I were discussing that test ride thingie a couple of days ago. Let's say someone has 20K to spend on a new bike. He can get rides on BMWs, Triumphs, Ducks, Guzzies, HDs.... but the Jap dealers refuse.

Would you spend nearly $20K on a bike you couldn't test ride? I wouldn't. I'll bet that the other companies thank God every night that the Japanese dealers seldom (never?) provide test rides. It's one thing to buy a Ninja650 w/o a test ride. But a big ticket VFR?

There's a new VFR gathering dust at Perry Bros Honda for the last 2 months while the BMWs are flying out of the dealer two blocks from my house. Coincidence?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Me mate at work (He owns 4 Beemers, SprintST, Street Triple, Breva1100) and I were discussing that test ride thingie a couple of days ago. Let's say someone has 20K to spend on a new bike. He can get rides on BMWs, Triumphs, Ducks, Guzzies, HDs.... but the Jap dealers refuse.

Would you spend nearly $20K on a bike you couldn't test ride? I wouldn't. I'll bet that the other companies thank God every night that the Japanese dealers seldom (never?) provide test rides. It's one thing to buy a Ninja650 w/o a test ride. But a big ticket VFR?

There's a new VFR gathering dust at Perry Bros Honda for the last 2 months while the BMWs are flying out of the dealer two blocks from my house. Coincidence?
Exactly. Before I bought my BMW, I was at the Escondido dealer. I told them I was interested and the guy said come back whenever you want to take a ride.

I showed up one day and he handed me the keys and I asked him how long I could ride it. He said, "As long as you want."

It was pretty much a done deal at that point.

Funny, the local H-D dealer (where I'd previously purchased the geezer glide) told me I could rent a bike and if I bought one, they'd credit the rental toward my purchase.

I told him to go eff himself.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote