Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
feduke
Registered Member

Default Triumph - the great and not so great

I traded my Rocket III for the new Thunderbird. I may actually have the first one registered in the USA and I had doubts about ordering the bike sight unseen. I am so glad I did. The Rocket was great but the Thunderbird is perfection.

In late March, while parked in a parking lot, an apparently blind driver of a pickup truck backed into the TBird knocking it onto its left side. Almost all of the damage was cosmetic but it is now 102 days since the accident and I am still waiting for simple parts like a windshield. About 2 weeks ago the brake lever and mirror finally arrived. Everything has been dribbling in over a more than 3 month period and it is absolutely impossible to get Triumph in either the USA or England to explain why this is taking so long.

They make a great bike but are unable to supply parts and are totally unresponsive to their customer's inquiries. That really ruins what is otherwise one of the best motorcycle experiences I have had in 50 years of riding.
feduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

That's why I get all my Speed triple parts off Ebay.

The few new parts I have purchased through Bikebandit have indeed taken a bit longer than Japanese parts. We have become spoiled.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Just try and get healthcare in England.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Tax policy in Britain is a nightmare for British business. They've had this problem for decades. They get taxed heavily on all inventory. They simply can't afford to have large stockpiles of parts sitting on shelves. So they produce parts largely on a "just in time" basis.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

feduke- i'd blame the dealer for the unresponsive nature before Triumph. I was a former F&I manager at a Triumph dealer and we never had an issue with parts. Now, this may be because Triumph's American headquarters is in Newnan, GA, but I don't think that location ever played a part in the parts department for us. The Parts manager at your shop has clout. If he doesn't apply it then Triumph just mills about a normal day. If he were to talk to the territory rep and explain the length of time is unacceptable for waiting I'm sure that there would be a bit more haste in getting your stuff to you.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
feduke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
feduke- i'd blame the dealer for the unresponsive nature before Triumph. I was a former F&I manager at a Triumph dealer and we never had an issue with parts. Now, this may be because Triumph's American headquarters is in Newnan, GA, but I don't think that location ever played a part in the parts department for us. The Parts manager at your shop has clout. If he doesn't apply it then Triumph just mills about a normal day. If he were to talk to the territory rep and explain the length of time is unacceptable for waiting I'm sure that there would be a bit more haste in getting your stuff to you.
Thanks for the input, but maybe things have changed. I have called several dealers across the country to keep my dealer honest and they all tell me the same story. Theyall said, every one, that they have customers waiting up to 6 months for basic items. All I need now is the replacement windshield but no one can even guess how long it might be.

The other fun part is trying to get an email or phone number for either Triumph USA or UK. I finally got a number for the Georgia facility, left 2 voicemail messages and never got a response. I love the bike but dammit...............................
Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The only failure I had with my Trophy was a broken speedo cable, It took quite awhile for that to show up too as I recall. Things like brake pads, chain and sprockets I just got aftermarket.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Guess they're too busy stamping out bikes that the accessories division hasn't be able to keep up with demand. Sorry, dude! Who needs a windshield anyway. With the heat I'd want wind on me at this point of the year.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
feduke
Registered Member

Let's see. Riding at night in Florida without a windshield. Aside from low speed bar hopping, higher speeds can be downright misreable. We have flying insects bigger than Rottweillers I have owned. Getting smacked in the knee with one of these is painful enough. I sure don't want one in the face! The Triumph winshield removes and reattaches in about 3 seconds, so daytime riding without it is no problem. Bring your bike down without a windshield and you and I will go for a night ride. I want to watch this.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by feduke View Post
Let's see. Riding at night in Florida without a windshield. Aside from low speed bar hopping, higher speeds can be downright misreable. We have flying insects bigger than Rottweillers I have owned. Getting smacked in the knee with one of these is painful enough. I sure don't want one in the face! The Triumph winshield removes and reattaches in about 3 seconds, so daytime riding without it is no problem. Bring your bike down without a windshield and you and I will go for a night ride. I want to watch this.
You can get a National Cycle cruiser screen pretty cheap if you need one badly enbough.