Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   BMW Unveils New 6-Cylinder K1600GT and GTL (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15734-bmw-unveils-new-6-cylinder-k1600gt-gtl.html)

Administrator 07-07-2010 02:02 PM

BMW Unveils New 6-Cylinder K1600GT and GTL

Original Article:
BMW Unveils New 6-Cylinder K1600GT and GTL

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article BMW Unveils New 6-Cylinder K1600GT and GTL in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 07-08-2010 07:08 AM

Wow, nice scoop there, MoFonians! Firstest with the Mostest on the new BMW 6. I'd have been tempted to take one of those "button" video cameras...

The new engine is way cool no doubt, but BMW needs to dial back some of the marketing hype. Honda, Kawi, and Bennelli all had production I-6 bikes, so BMW is doing less innovating than renovating.
I'm sure there are design features of their I-6 that are unique and wonderful, but it's the same basic architecture as the CBX (did you know the CBX I-6 was only 2 inches wider than the I-4?).

It would have been interesting to see a longitudinally-mounted V-6 or something truly unique and new.

Kevin_Duke 07-08-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 245180)
Wow, nice scoop there, MoFonians! Firstest with the Mostest on the new BMW 6. I'd have been tempted to take one of those "button" video cameras...

The new engine is way cool no doubt, but BMW needs to dial back some of the marketing hype. Honda, Kawi, and Bennelli all had production I-6 bikes, so BMW is doing less innovating than renovating.
I'm sure there are design features of their I-6 that are unique and wonderful, but it's the same basic architecture as the CBX (did you know the CBX I-6 was only 2 inches wider than the I-4?).

It would have been interesting to see a longitudinally-mounted V-6 or something truly unique and new.

Thanks, KM, glad you liked it.

Curious where that bolded stat came from. I'll guess from a 1979-era I-4, which are about a half-foot wider than modern I-4s.

BMW says its new Six is 22 inches wide. Anyone got CBX width specs?

Buzglyd 07-08-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 245186)
Thanks, KM, glad you liked it.

Curious where that bolded stat came from. I'll guess from a 1979-era I-4, which are about a half-foot wider than modern I-4s.

BMW says its new Six is 22 inches wide. Anyone got CBX width specs?

So did you guys get to view completed models?

Was it NIIIICE?

Kenneth_Moore 07-08-2010 10:31 AM

Mr. Duke:

The site I took that comment from is here:
Vintage Benly Honda Motorcycle Photos

and the actual quote is here:
Another major advancement for Honda came in 1979, with the introduction of the DOHC inline six-cylinder CBX-6 1000. The CBX 1000 was designed by Shoichiro Irimajiri (born 1940) who had also penned Honda's six cylinder race bikes.

The CBX-6's 24-valve engine was only 2 inches wider than the Honda CB750, and produced a whopping 105 bhp at 9,000 rpm. The nearly 600-pound CBX was hailed as a technological marvel of the time, even though the Italian firm Benelli had beaten them to the punch seven years earlier with the six-cylinder, single-overhead-cam Benelli 750 Sei.
I cannot swear to the accuracy, but I've found no errors on the rest of the material on the site that I am sure of.

Kevin_Duke 07-08-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 245187)
So did you guys get to view completed models?

Was it NIIIICE?

Well, "you guys" was actually just our freelancer, who saw the bike in Germany. He was very impressed with it, and especially the engine.

mlynch001 07-08-2010 04:48 PM

Looking at the specs the BMW seems not so spectacular!

Consider the HONDA CBX:

24.1 inches wide at the widest point. (I measured the actual engine, I own a CBX) And the CBX is a Large bore short stroke engine 64.5 x 53.4 mm! The CBX is actually NARROWER at the crankshaft than a 750-4!

105 Horsepower at 9500 RPM (100 @ 9000 81-82 spec). That is 1 horsepower for every 10 cc's and the high tech BMW produces . . . hold on to your hat, 1 horsepower for every 10 cc's!

CBX engine weight is 238 pounds, and the BMW is 225 lbs! Does BMW count the radiator, hoses and coolant in the engine weight?

HONDA reduced the engine width by moving the electrical accessories behind the cylinders and above the gearbox. Wonder where BMW got their idea?

The HONDA used a one piece forged, nitrided 4130 steel crank with 120 degree throw spacing and precision balanced for smooth operation without a balance shaft. Hmmmm, strangely familiar!

The Sound? The CBX is still one of the most exotic sounding engines ever manufactured! A CBX at full throttle and 9000 rpm still RIPS after 30 years!

Those of you out there that do not know your History need to remember that the CBX traces its' lineage directly back to the famous HONDA GP winning 6 cylinder engines of the early and mid 60's! So the design is actually over 40 years older than the so called "ground breaking" BMW!

So, DAMN near 50 years later BMW pretty much copies the HONDA CBX engine architecture with water cooling and a boatload of other Modern manufacturing processes and technology and this is what you get? Without a doubt, the BMW will be NICE, powerful, polished but NOT ground breaking! HONDA Broke that ground decades ago!

Kevin_Duke 07-08-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlynch001 (Post 245211)
Looking at the specs the BMW seems not so spectacular!

Consider the HONDA CBX:

24.1 inches wide at the widest point. (I measured the actual engine, I own a CBX) And the CBX is a Large bore short stroke engine 64.5 x 53.4 mm! The CBX is actually NARROWER at the crankshaft than a 750-4!

105 Horsepower at 9500 RPM (100 @ 9000 81-82 spec). That is 1 horsepower for every 10 cc's and the high tech BMW produces . . . hold on to your hat, 1 horsepower for every 10 cc's!

CBX engine weight is 238 pounds, and the BMW is 225 lbs! Does BMW count the radiator, hoses and coolant in the engine weight?

HONDA reduced the engine width by moving the electrical accessories behind the cylinders and above the gearbox. Wonder where BMW got their idea?

The HONDA used a one piece forged, nitrided 4130 steel crank with 120 degree throw spacing and precision balanced for smooth operation without a balance shaft. Hmmmm, strangely familiar!

The Sound? The CBX is still one of the most exotic sounding engines ever manufactured! A CBX at full throttle and 9000 rpm still RIPS after 30 years!

Those of you out there that do not know your History need to remember that the CBX traces its' lineage directly back to the famous HONDA GP winning 6 cylinder engines of the early and mid 60's! So the design is actually over 40 years older than the so called "ground breaking" BMW!

So, DAMN near 50 years later BMW pretty much copies the HONDA CBX engine architecture with water cooling and a boatload of other Modern manufacturing processes and technology and this is what you get? Without a doubt, the BMW will be NICE, powerful, polished but NOT ground breaking! HONDA Broke that ground decades ago!

I love CBXs, and they sound positively musical with a nice pipe.

But three things:
1. Benelli was first with a Six in a streetbike.
2. BMW builds a Six 600cc larger than the CBX, and you aren't impressed it's more than 2 inches narrower? (Seriously, thanks for measuring!)
3. Other than sharing six cylinders, the CBX and K1600 have almost nothing in common.

Kevin_Duke 07-08-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 245213)
Shoulda gone with a VR6.........

That would be interesting. I wonder if VW has an active patent on that?

Buzglyd 07-08-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 245220)
I love CBXs, and they sound positively musical with a nice pipe.

But three things:
1. Benelli was first with a Six in a streetbike.
2. BMW builds a Six 600cc larger than the CBX, and you aren't impressed it's more than 2 inches narrower? (Seriously, thanks for measuring!)
3. Other than sharing six cylinders, the CBX and K1600 have almost nothing in common.

Honda may have broken that ground but they abandoned it years ago.

Now Honda builds Dullvilles and Runes. Whoopee.