Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #41
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
You forgot the swingarm bushings made of sintered sushi . At least on the earlier models, like my '79.

The big test for the K16 will be how it carries its 700lb. While I'm a fan of lightweight bikes (my Hawk GT was probably my all-time fave bike), it is possible for a heavy bike to handle reasonably well. My ST1100 carries its 700lb fairly well. Because weight is neither too high nor too low, it turns in easily and predictably. Honda seems to have made great effort to keep mass centralized about the roll axis, such as with the V4 engine config and underseat gas tank (42lb full). Some lighter bikes with conventional fuel tanks that I've ridden feel heavier and less predictable to me due to all that weight up high.

I haven't ridden the current generation of K-bikes, so I don't know how well BMW manages the weight. What's the general impression of those bikes' turn-in behavior? I guess I would expect the K16 to be similar.
Good to hear from you again, DD! The K1300GT handles its weight brilliantly, one of the reasons why we chose it as our fave S-T in our 2009 shootout.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Good to hear from you again, DD! The K1300GT handles its weight brilliantly, one of the reasons why we chose it as our fave S-T in our 2009 shootout.
And the reason i was sitting on mine in the desert yesterday.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #43
prinzdodo
Registered Member

the bike is just....awesome!!!
prinzdodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #44
mlynch001
Registered Member

Quote:
I love CBXs, and they sound positively musical with a nice pipe.

But three things:
1. Benelli was first with a Six in a streetbike.
2. BMW builds a Six 600cc larger than the CBX, and you aren't impressed it's more than 2 inches narrower? (Seriously, thanks for measuring!)
3. Other than sharing six cylinders, the CBX and K1600 have almost nothing in common.
A. Did not say HONDA was first! The Bennelli SEI was a 500 I-4 with 2 cylinders grafted on. The CBX was an outgrowth of a purpose built GP engine.

B. Seriously, I am surprised the CBX is even THAT close! An AIR COOLED Six with a similar bore is ONLY 2 inches wider at the HEAD? The air cooled engine adds a LOT of weight and bulk. The Water cooling makes the difference. THAT is all I am saying!

C. Electrical Accessories behind the engine above the gearbox? DOHC Direct acting valve train? Cylinders inclined forward of the crank centerline? Forged, Nitrided crankshaft? Many novel Ideas to reduce engine package dimensions and mass?

Kevin, What I am saying is that the K1600 is not FIRST to the market with these and other ideas. The K 1600 IS today what a CBX was in 1978!

BMW has employed state of the art manufacturing technologies, Massive computational power and modern electronics to build a wonderful motorcycle, light years above the CBX. However, the CBX was a GROUND BREAKER where many of the now commonly accepted practices began. The KEY being the electrical accessories being moved to a position above the gear box, which established the practice for EVERY other manufacturer who now follows this practice. The CBX was built without the benefit of "computer modeling" and almost ZERO electronics! The HONDA CBX design goes DIRECTLY back to the GP winning 6 cylinders of 1965 which IS the father of ALL modern 4 stroke high-performance motorcycles! If you study the history of these machines, you will find that many of the processes used in the manufacture of the RC166 are unknown to MODERN F-1 engine builders! In other words, in 1964-66 HONDA was doing stuff that even the BEST engine guys of today cannot decipher!
The BMW K1600, as wonderful as it is, is an evolution, the HONDA inline six was a revolution! The difference was that HONDA PROVED that a six could be done, BMW knew it could be done, because the concept was already proven. To say that the two engines have "almost nothing in common" is simply wrong!
mlynch001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #45
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch001 View Post
A. Did not say HONDA was first! The Bennelli SEI was a 500 I-4 with 2 cylinders grafted on. The CBX was an outgrowth of a purpose built GP engine.

B. Seriously, I am surprised the CBX is even THAT close! An AIR COOLED Six with a similar bore is ONLY 2 inches wider at the HEAD? The air cooled engine adds a LOT of weight and bulk. The Water cooling makes the difference. THAT is all I am saying!

C. Electrical Accessories behind the engine above the gearbox? DOHC Direct acting valve train? Cylinders inclined forward of the crank centerline? Forged, Nitrided crankshaft? Many novel Ideas to reduce engine package dimensions and mass?

Kevin, What I am saying is that the K1600 is not FIRST to the market with these and other ideas. The K 1600 IS today what a CBX was in 1978!

BMW has employed state of the art manufacturing technologies, Massive computational power and modern electronics to build a wonderful motorcycle, light years above the CBX. However, the CBX was a GROUND BREAKER where many of the now commonly accepted practices began. The KEY being the electrical accessories being moved to a position above the gear box, which established the practice for EVERY other manufacturer who now follows this practice. The CBX was built without the benefit of "computer modeling" and almost ZERO electronics! The HONDA CBX design goes DIRECTLY back to the GP winning 6 cylinders of 1965 which IS the father of ALL modern 4 stroke high-performance motorcycles! If you study the history of these machines, you will find that many of the processes used in the manufacture of the RC166 are unknown to MODERN F-1 engine builders! In other words, in 1964-66 HONDA was doing stuff that even the BEST engine guys of today cannot decipher!
The BMW K1600, as wonderful as it is, is an evolution, the HONDA inline six was a revolution! The difference was that HONDA PROVED that a six could be done, BMW knew it could be done, because the concept was already proven. To say that the two engines have "almost nothing in common" is simply wrong!
So, if you're saying the CBX and K16 have lots of things in common, then the K16 also has lots in common with a 250cc GP bike of 45 years ago?

I stand by my three earlier points.

BTW, make sure to see the vid from our K16 review so you can hear the Beemer wail beautifully.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #46
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
So, if you're saying the CBX and K16 have lots of things in common, then the K16 also has lots in common with a 250cc GP bike of 45 years ago?

I stand by my three earlier points.

BTW, make sure to see the vid from our K16 review so you can hear the Beemer wail beautifully.
KD if you're going to make a point, you really need to mix in more CAPS!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #47
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
KD if you're going to make a point, you really need to mix in more CAPS!
YOU PEOPLE WITH DUCATIS AND BMWS THINK YOU'RE SO SMART, DON'T YOU?!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #48
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If anything Benelli proved a 6 cylinder could be done. Remember all good and beautiful things come from Italy, from civilized orderly run societies to Moto Guzzi Coppa Italia's to Lamborghini LP 570-4 Gallardo Superleggere's, that's not even starting in on the wimmins, nosh or plonk....

What original thing do the Japanese have to offer besides cool monster movies, tasty raw fish and tiny radios???

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote