Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
anrajala
Founding Member

Red face Forget that HP sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch001 View Post
Looking at the specs the BMW seems not so spectacular!

Consider the HONDA CBX:

105 Horsepower at 9500 RPM (100 @ 9000 81-82 spec). That is 1 horsepower for every 10 cc's and the high tech BMW produces . . . hold on to your hat, 1 horsepower for every 10 cc's!
You are right there. One would think that in 2010 a company like BMW with all that F1 experience and skill would easily wax the butt of a 30 year old long gone Honda model.

But then, hp is not everything. If they've gone that way, well, look at the S1000RR. It showed even to the Japanese which way the poopy drops.

So if you consider the torq, BMW claims 129 lb-ft and 70% of that already on 1500 rpm. Which means 90 lb-ft at idle. That's kick-ass.

Cycle magazine dynoed the CBX back in -78 with 52 lb-ft max and 30 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm. Claimed and dyno figures are of course not the same, but still. Here we see the engineering work of the past 30 years.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
You are right there. One would think that in 2010 a company like BMW with all that F1 experience and skill would easily wax the butt of a 30 year old long gone Honda model.
Well, it has. The S1000, with two fewer cylinders and less displacement about doubles the CBX's hp output. For edification, how much hp did Cycle measure at the wheel of the CBX?

The K1600, OTOH, is built to be a torquer, kind of like an inline-8 in a Duesenberg or Packard. BTW, I can't recall another contemporary motorcycle engine that has an undersquare design like the K16.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Duken4evr
Founding Member

BMW is really on a roll these days. 160 hp and loads of torque everywhere should result in an effortlessly fast and smooth powerband. Just thing thing for this type of bike.

This looks like a very desirable motorcycle - more more in keeping with my dreams than toddling off on a Gold Wing, God forbid. Of course my wallet may likely never be able to handle this bike, but one can dream.

Oh well. At 48 and still playing in the dirt and with semi sport bikes, I am not old enough for this thing anyway. Call me when the AARP card finally arrives
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Interesting read liked it. The bike sounds like a tamed touring monster.
Once I read the torque at 1500rpm's it was over. Can't wait to ride it.

Also one thing no one has mentioned about these beasts is handling. That will surely show the difference in between these two bikes. CBX vs GT

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-09-2010 at 07:05 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The K1600, OTOH, is built to be a torquer, kind of like an inline-8 in a Duesenberg or Packard. BTW, I can't recall another contemporary motorcycle engine that has an undersquare design like the K16.
Is that a good thing? If so, why isn't it used more often?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Is that a good thing? If so, why isn't it used more often?
Not necessarily a good thing. Depends on what you want an engine to do. If you want low-end torque, then yes. If you want six cylinders to fit across the frame but reasonably narrow, yes.

If you want maximum horsepower efficiency, then no. Imagine three of the S1000's cylinders paired in a vee to three more S1000 cylinders for an idea of what an oversquare V-6 displacing 1500cc could do: a theoretical peak approaching 300 (crankshaft) ponies!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Torque HP and Gearing

Maximum Torque, High horse power along with the proper gearing...... sounds like a Dream Machine. Throw in a little BMW styling a little bit of comfort and a price tag below 20 grand, I will need to add another machine to my must have list Damn!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Imagine three of the S1000's cylinders paired in a vee to three more S1000 cylinders for an idea of what an oversquare V-6 displacing 1500cc could do: a theoretical peak approaching 300 (crankshaft) ponies!
Yow-zah!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Not necessarily a good thing. Depends on what you want an engine to do. If you want low-end torque, then yes. If you want six cylinders to fit across the frame but reasonably narrow, yes.

If you want maximum horsepower efficiency, then no. Imagine three of the S1000's cylinders paired in a vee to three more S1000 cylinders for an idea of what an oversquare V-6 displacing 1500cc could do: a theoretical peak approaching 300 (crankshaft) ponies!
Er, 6 SV1000 cylinders would displace 3000cc. Heck of a power plant, what?

On the other hand when you get into the 150hp range does giving up a few ponies for more torque matter? Torque is what gives the grin when you twist the wrist.

Although on the slight downside is the increased internal friction of a 6 over a 4. Expect the BMW 6 to get 30s mileage. It'll need a big fuel tank to feed the beast.

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-09-2010 at 10:38 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
newbie-b
Founding Member

The best thang about this new K1600GT...it means the K1300GT's will drop in price and then I coud afford to buy one for sure.....
newbie-b is offline   Reply With Quote